What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Could not manage to resist this when it came up on another forum for a good price. Not my usual; I shave with kamisoris that must be less than half this heavy, but I managed to hone, strop, and shave. Cut myself once, and did not do a great job with fine control, but I guess some acclimation would be normal. Cut aside, I got a great shave.
2704A593-76D3-422A-9B42-550B294F4B11.jpeg

Speaking of "could not resist".....since I have Globemen "marriage" (in my previous posts), I searched, searched, and then I searched some more....'Globemen' is NOT available (anywhere). But,...."Globusmen" IS! Three pin scales, faux tortoise, and according to Polarbeard, made by the same company. I just had to have it (if it shaves anything like my Silver Ring/Globemen, I'll LOVE it!). Funny thing is, these don't come up in Bay search for "vintage straight razo",....one has to search for them by the keyword "globusmen". There is only ONE vendor on the Bay that has them (two more available). This one is 6/8, and it look like it will be an easy restoration. I'd like to get them all from this guy, but I don't want to go through my FOURTH divorce (joke)!!

Here it is,....just paid for it, and I won't see it till late next week.

Globusmen.jpg

Hope y'all like it as much as I do?

Came across a great deal on a handful of vintage razors today, thought they’d be perfect to test some different honing methods on.
From left to right there’s
Dubl Duck
Mystery razor just stamped Sheffield English Steel
Eiker & Sohne 66 PAX
A total mystery
W. Greaves & Sons Sheffield.
BEDF5AE2-668D-44F9-B6D7-BA59C5BBA0D4.jpeg
Also snagged a massive Wade & Butcher FBU and a Wade & Butchers Celebrated Fine India Steel that I plan to restore back to their former glory.

E39FE1C4-19C9-4F25-969C-F1617B87E577.jpeg

Just got this one on the Bay. It was tough (too many people were bidding, and watching). I kept my eye on it for a week, and somebody almost took it in front of my nose. Well,....I was born at night,...but not last night.

Don't know anything about this piece (tang stamps, if any, are not visible in the sellers pics), but the shape of the blade, and the patina attracted me. I'm thinking about "restoring" this by lightly polishing the blade with Braso, leaving the pits/discoloration original. I love the "ribbed" spine, and I think it will look totally cool when I'm done with it.

As always,...opinions/info about the piece is very welcome!

1Rattler.jpg

Came across a great deal on a handful of vintage razors today, thought they’d be perfect to test some different honing methods on.
From left to right there’s
Dubl Duck
Mystery razor just stamped Sheffield English Steel
Eiker & Sohne 66 PAX
A total mystery
W. Greaves & Sons Sheffield.
View attachment 1191282
Also snagged a massive Wade & Butcher FBU and a Wade & Butchers Celebrated Fine India Steel that I plan to restore back to their former glory.

View attachment 1191286

That FBU is just SICK (as in "awesome")! I'm shopping/looking for one for over a month.

I’ve been hunting for one for the past 4 years 😥 Sadly I’ve only seen a 12. You just don’t find then here in any size. International shipping here is always a problem and risk. So I will have to be content and keep looking, miracles do still happen...

That's incredible! I knew Matt couldn't be the first, but I am a little surprised that an active member has a set too. Awesome set!

Those Palmeras are sweet, and to be honest I don’t have seven matching 14 Filarmonicas...just 2 Especial from 1st Gen, a 1st Gen Doble Temple, a late 1st/early 2nd Gen Salamanca, a 2nd Gen Sub Cero, and now the 2nd Gen Novodur when it arrives. I don’t even have seven Filarmonicas, and they are a hodgepodge mix!

The only 7 day set I have is the circa 1835-1865 set of Osborne & Sons dressed in ivory.

Vr

Matt

Top Bottom