What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I picked this one up yesterday. I had never seen or heard of a Greaves "Patent Protector" so I was hesitant, thinking maybe someone had made it in their garage, because it's such a weird and impractical design. It doesn't really make sense as a production model. But then I found that Henry Lummus had recorded having one of these oddities in his collection so it was apparently something they did.

Attachments

• u357u674.jpg
    u357u674.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail.png
    thumbnail.png
    668.4 KB · Views: 28
I picked this one up yesterday. I had never seen or heard of a Greaves "Patent Protector" so I was hesitant, thinking maybe someone had made it in their garage, because it's such a weird and impractical design. It doesn't really make sense as a production model. But then I found that Henry Lummus had recorded having one of these oddities in his collection so it was apparently something they did.
You can still see the vise marks on it from the poor bastard that had to lock it in place to make the cuts in the tang some 180+ years ago, and I can imagine him praying it wouldn't fly off and put out his last eye.
Can't wait for this one. ...now to find the OG Scales Lummus described.

Attachments

• u357u674ghbvb.jpg
    u357u674ghbvb.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
(Robert Lummus, not Henry, lol)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The Engstroms arrived, a day early. Let’s see what we have. As described by the seller, 7 razors, one with a broken scale at the pivot. Also

-1 is scaled in ivory with an escutcheon or end cap
-3 are stamped ‘DS&K’ on the show side monkey tail (any ideas about DS&K @Polarbeard ?)
- all are stamped ‘SWEDEN’ in block letters on the pile side tang
- the latest ‘medaille’ date was Paris 1889

Comdition

The one with the broken scale has heavy wear and the blade has been sanded or reconditioned. I have another that will probably replace it.

- 1 has very light wear, you have to know what to look for
- 2 have light wear
- 3 have no wear but may have been honed by the factory or dealer

Even the one with the heavy wear and broken scale has remnants of the original arrow mark, the black rubber scales are shiny and in excellent condition, and 6 of them have the blade finish pretty much fully intact. Who knows what happened to that one razor, likely some kind of a mishap, but they have all been obviously pretty well cared for, there’s no evidence of neglect really.

Now, can we get these raxors cleaned (they need very little) in a way that would make the original owner smile and be proud of them? I think so!

First off, I cleaned the frames and scales with S100 multisurface cleaner, high gloss. The frames are not plated. Then tighten 1 pivot (the ivory one). Next, clean the blades themselves, and you can’t use metal polish on these. I used jnat uchigumori slurry on a lint free cloth, and that worked very well, no lessening of the ‘blued’ finish. I knew there wouldn’t be I’ve used uchigumori slurry on razor gold wash, my Berg with the same finish, fountain pens, jewelry, and so on.

Now that they’re clean (6 of them, the one with the broken scale is going to need something more), I used some bicycle chain wax, a penetrating wax, usually used for what the name says, on the joint between the frame and blade, to repel water from the joint when in use, just like on the bicycle chain. I use this stuff on pivots too, if needed for the same reason. It also floated some debris out of the joint on one razor.

Next they all got a coat of Renaissance Wax. I think that I’ve honored the original owner so far.

And I’m ready to hone one, with one layer of Kapton on the spine. If they’re as hard as my Berg, I’m going to be honing for a while.

746AB943-9880-4E74-9A05-D0ED884EF2BE.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Steve56, the perfect start to a magnificent matching seven-day set. The ivory one can be used on Sundays for church (or Fridays for the mosque).

If you need a timber case for them, I'll design one for free for you. Just let me know.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
@Steve56, the perfect start to a magnificent matching seven-day set. The ivory one can be used on Sundays for church (or Fridays for the mosque).

If you need a timber case for them, I'll design one for free for you. Just let me know.

Thank you sir! I may well take you up on it!

Someone brought up the logo when I posted my new AOS TI. Honestly, it doesn't bother me; the steel it's attached to is fantastic. $60. is an incredible deal.

yeah I know....was going to purchase one of these before I found the TI la legende I have.

on the seller pic....some of the lettering is missing so I don't think I will have to use really invasive tactics......but will see.

camo

yeah I know....was going to purchase one of these before I found the TI la legende I have.

on the seller pic....some of the lettering is missing so I don't think I will have to use really invasive tactics......but will see.

camo

Post your method and materials. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Top Bottom