Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Sellers pics from ebay! $103!

44E08AAD-3781-4632-BE93-EB040ADED639.jpeg
436C7AEB-70C4-4F52-B998-BD4033E6D675.jpeg
B4347682-BA0C-4F6E-8C99-B8C77DC682E9.jpeg
4322A9D1-7D03-4ACF-B8CE-393D076E0BB4.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This matching pair recently arrived in my mail. They were a mistaken double order due to the pandemic.

IMG_20200811_130928.jpg
Titan 1918 ACRM-2 T.H.60. They are 6/8 of Japanese high carbon steel with added cobalt and molybdenum. The scales are of natural Madagascan Mahogany finely engraved in the mid-quarter.

I checked these SR's and found they easily shaved arm hairs but the bevels were not properly set. Sharpie ink remained near the apex when tested. A quick progression through my lapping films soon fixed that and they were tree-topping at 5mm to 10mm.

This morning I refined their edges on diamond pasted balsa strops to where they now tree-top at 10mm to 15mm. With a few shaves and diamond pasted balsa strop maintenance, they should be at their atomic edge in no time.

These two SR's are excess to my requirements so I'll think of PIFing them away later to some worthy local fellows.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This matching pair recently arrived in my mail. They were a mistaken double order due to the pandemic.

Titan 1918 ACRM-2 T.H.60. They are 6/8 of Japanese high carbon steel with added cobalt and molybdenum. The scales are of natural Madagascan Mahogany finely engraved in the mid-quarter.

I checked these SR's and found they easily shaved arm hairs but the bevels were not properly set. Sharpie ink remained near the apex when tested. A quick progression through my lapping films soon fixed that and they were tree-topping at 5mm to 10mm.

This morning I refined their edges on diamond pasted balsa strops to where they now tree-top at 10mm to 15mm. With a few shaves and diamond pasted balsa strop maintenance, they should be at their atomic edge in no time.

These two SR's are excess to my requirements so I'll think of PIFing them away later to some worthy local fellows.
Nice work my friend!

And a VERY nice thing to do for those folks local to you. How is your weather?

I have yet to try the razor as it arrived yesterday after I had shaved. I have stropped it and will try it in the next hour or so. My face is rather round so I don't have the same problem, in fact, all of me is rather round so I have my own set of worries !! :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Gosh those will require a lot of elbow grease.

Arne, We have the power to help Matt out here, so in support mate, we think you will need this enjoy.

elbow grease.jpg

View attachment 1139915View attachment 1139916View attachment 1139917View attachment 1139914Wade & Butcher 'American Razor' and a very early J.R. Torrey. No hone wear on either.

That Torrey monogram is a beautiful razor, but its the first I have seen the 50 on the blade well all 3 are beautiful.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thank you Arne, the blade is not restored, it was NOS or mint when I bought it. The thick ivory scales were cracked on both sides at the pivot. Alfredo actually made the tortoise Kirinite scales for another razor with the MK shape, and he put them on the MK 32 for fun. They looked so good I kept them on the MK over the originals. They feel very good in the hand too, and the whole razor is just perfect.

Thank you Arne, the blade is not restored, it was NOS or mint when I bought it. The thick ivory scales were cracked on both sides at the pivot. Alfredo actually made the tortoise Kirinite scales for another razor with the MK shape, and he put them on the MK 32 for fun. They looked so good I kept them on the MK over the originals. They feel very good in the hand too, and the whole razor is just perfect.
Sorry Steve, I didn't express myself particularly well. I knew that the blade was NOS but with damaged scales. With "restored" I meant the really fine new scales made by Alfredo. :001_smile

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
1597512764475.jpeg

It’s my Grandpa’s. He’s in the afterlife, so I only know my Mom gave me this one and a razor-shaped pile of rust riveted to two tortoiseshell scales.

First shave. Nicked my upper lip, very barely sliced my neck nowhere near the whiskers. Left sideburn area is DFS! Was generous with the Snake Bite Aftershave before using the menthol witch hazel. And that refrain from the Dua Lipa hit is in full earworm mode:

🎵
It should have stayed unhoned
’Cause I was doing better alone
But when it shaved “hello”
I knew it was the end of it all
’Cause now there ain’t no letting it go
Am I stropping and honing
The one that will shave too hard?
🎵

Thank you for the compliment global_dev. The W&B does have that cool factor. :)

Ice-Man - All the early Torrey razors that I've been lucky enough to see (4 in total) have had numbers on their blades. In addition to the 50 I have a 45 and I know another member here who owns a 55, but that's about it. They're like hens teeth.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Received in the mail today. They were ordered late February 2020 and arrived in Manila May 16. I thought that they had been "lost" to one of our fine Philippines Customs or Postal officers who obviously needed them more than I.

Titan 1918 VG10-HZ T.H.63. Looks like I will now have to make yet another M7DS.

IMG_20200817_092433.jpg
IMG_20200817_093154.jpg
The scales on these SR's are interesting.

IMG_20200817_094913.jpg
The 13/16 blades are of Japanese VG10 steel specially heat treated for SR use. Their bevels are not properly set, leaving a fair amount of marker ink at the apex when checked. That should give me something to do while the timber case for this set is being made.

Last edited:
View attachment 1140359
It’s my Grandpa’s. He’s in the afterlife, so I only know my Mom gave me this one and a razor-shaped pile of rust riveted to two tortoiseshell scales.

First shave. Nicked my upper lip, very barely sliced my neck nowhere near the whiskers. Left sideburn area is DFS! Was generous with the Snake Bite Aftershave before using the menthol witch hazel. And that refrain from the Dua Lipa hit is in full earworm mode:

🎵
’Cause I was doing better alone
But when it shaved “hello”
I knew it was the end of it all
’Cause now there ain’t no letting it go
Am I stropping and honing
The one that will shave too hard?
🎵

Thom, that tuckmar is killer! Use it in good health! Great sentiment.

Top Bottom