What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I just purchased this American Knife Co. Plymouth Hollow, Conn straight razor because it was made between 1849 when the company was founded, and 1875 when Plymouth Hollow was renamed...true Americana!

I wonder if it was around during the US Civil War?

Vr

Matt

023FC781-5B0C-4127-8199-632397B30A25.jpeg
5A8DFC59-E3E2-4C90-8986-4C6BDB177773.jpeg
A169B916-CEB7-406C-AE30-244B2D2CEF9B.jpeg

This modern Thiers Issard “Le Grelot” arrived from France today. The scales are Kingwood and I was able to select these from photos of available stock prior to shipping. First impressions are good. The razor arrived what I consider to be shave ready. I did not feel that I could improve the edge much on my films. I did take it through the balsa progression For good measure. I was glad to find that the bevel seems to have been set without tape. The balsa definitely upped the edge. Ready for deployment tomorrow morning!

The blade runs a little large with these. It is advertised as 5/8” but it actually measures 6/8”. I was expecting this and am glad that I didn’t go larger. The weight is a very nice 45g. I’m surprised to not see any ridges on the top of the tang. Hopefully this doesn’t effect the grip.

54793E00-FD70-4B7F-9141-CAC7FEE6CF30.jpeg
91B9B3EB-AA5A-46B9-954C-7DA879956B86.jpeg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Tomo, what I always do with a new SR is a marker pen test on 0.3um film (I have plenty of that as I don't use it in my progression). This tells me how well the bevel is set and whether tape was used to set it.

If the bevel was not well set or tape was used, I reset and progress.

I'm not a tape sort of bloke.

Today I received my 25th SR, a Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.64, and marker pen checked it. Happy that the bevel was correctly set and no tape used.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... I’m surprised to not see any ridges on the top of the tang. Hopefully this doesn’t effect the grip.
I think you mean jimps on the top of the shank.

I've never been a fan of jimps on top. Just the bottom suits me fine.

Project razor arrived from the "bay" today. I am going to experiment on this before setting to work on my family razors. Got it cheap enough to not worry if I mess up, however I did miss the broken point tip in the listing pictures. Got it because it was cheap and had the the "our Chief" stamp.
IMG_2843.JPG
IMG_2845.JPG

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Arrived today. Two Titan 1918 ACRM-2 T.H.60 straight razors. They were a mistaken double order due to the pandemic. I already have eight of these razors so they might become excess to my needs. If so, I will PIF them to some deserving fellows.

IMG_20200811_130928.jpg
Of course I will first bring them up to a reasonable level of shave-ready.

Arrived today. Two Titan 1918 ACRM-2 T.H.60 straight razors. They were a mistaken double order due to the pandemic. I already have eight of these razors so they might become excess to my needs. If so, I will PIF them to some deserving fellows.

As much good as you talk about these razors I'm gonna have to try one once I have some extra money.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As much good as you talk about these razors I'm gonna have to try one once I have some extra money.
On AliExpress Titan have 18 different models of SR's; twelve models with ACRM-2 steel between about USD 20 to 40, two models with VG10-HZ steel between about USD 40 to 45, and four models with ACRO steel between about USD 50 to 70.

There is not much difference in price due to the scales. It is mainly due to steel type, hardness and corrosion resistance. Basically the more you pay, the better the steel and edge finish.

Titan is a step up in overall quality from the Gold Dollars, by how much is your personal opinion.

nice pair.

looks like they oem hone with a bit of a role based on the toe and heel looks. Does the stabilizer cause any issues on the heel as you hone?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
nice pair.

looks like they oem hone with a bit of a role based on the toe and heel looks. Does the stabilizer cause any issues on the heel as you hone?
I never knew that a stabiliser could cause honing problems until well after I learnt to hone my SR's. I have never had a problem honing with any shape of stabiliser. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

My SR's with stabilisers all have a rounded heel and the cutting edge stops at about the start of the round. I don't use or need to use that rounded part of the heel when shaving.

I expect that SR's with a square heel and stabiliser could present a problem but I have never experienced a SR like that.

Top Bottom