What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

New Toys!!!

Taylor's Eye Witness "1000" in an original tin
IMG_20200629_170132.jpg

Joseph Rodgers & Sons "Celebrated India Steel"
IMG_20200629_170114.jpg

Taylor's is in great shape, maybe even shave ready. The Rodgers will need a bit of love.

Soderen. This one has a really nice grind. Don't think the scales are original. View attachment 1118215View attachment 1118216View attachment 1118217

Beautiful razor!
Like Arne I think the razor looks good with the curent scale.
But added a picture with Söderen below for inspiration if you want to look for scales.
Don't know if it is razors with their original scales but guess so.

IMG_9837.JPGIMG_9830.JPG

I went down to the basement and rummaged around in my shamefully overfilled restoration drawer and found the Söderen razor in the photo below. It doesn't look exactly like yours, but the resemblance is so grear that it must have been made at about the same time. The scales are definitely original, flat, made out of celluloid and with an ivory pattern. Black ebonite scales would also be correct. Then again when it comes to razor restoration I'm way too conservative. Your razor is a beauty with the scales she's already got.
View attachment 1119003

Nice picture and razor!

My second Ralph Aust, this one is 7/8s in African Blackwood, the first was 6/8s with snakewood. This guy makes some great razors. I dearly love my latest TIs and I have a whole bunch of vintage razors, however, this razor takes a lot of beating. The African Blackwood has a wonderful sort of stripey-ness to it that probably won't show in a photo with varied colours and shades of blue-black, red and brown. The blade is very hollow ground but because it is 7/8s it has sufficient weight to make shaving effortless.

IMG_20200630_120034.jpg

My second Ralph Aust, this one is 7/8s in African Blackwood, the first was 6/8s with snakewood. This guy makes some great razors. I dearly love my latest TIs and I have a whole bunch of vintage razors, however, this razor takes a lot of beating. The African Blackwood has a wonderful sort of stripey-ness to it that probably won't show in a photo with varied colours and shades of blue-black, red and brown. The blade is very hollow ground but because it is 7/8s it has sufficient weight to make shaving effortless.

View attachment 1119760
Very nice. The African Blackwood scales from Ralf Aust are really nice. Mine is jet black with no discernible grain. It’s very dense wood that has a wonderful heft to it.

she arrived......way early today.

20200706_155800.jpg

Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple
Jose Monserrat Pou

initial quick cleanup. golden label faded......will tape off to preserve what remains.

20200706_160834.jpg

looks I will have to unpin her to deep clean double jimps and tang/shank. my conscious will not allow the dirt, grim, rust, oxidation continue.......

camo

Last edited:
So today's mail brought lots of joy. One that looks like it will clean up very nice, now that I can remove scales. And one I've been looking for for a long time. The kikuboshi is going to be my nephew's first straight. When he saw my straights he said his favorite one was mine and if I ever decided I didn't want mine he wanted it. Since then I have been searching for another one. It finally is in my possession.

I'm still searching for another one so I can have two myself. It's still my favorite razor.

20200706_173225_compress54.jpg
20200706_173213_compress17.jpg
20200706_173240_compress92.jpg
20200706_173229_compress99.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
she arrived......way early today.

View attachment 1122431

Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple
Jose Monserrat Pou

initial quick cleanup. golden label faded......will tape off to preserve what remains.

View attachment 1122436

looks I will have to unpin her to deep clean double jimps and tang/shank. my conscious will not allow the dirt, grim, rust, oxidation continue.......

camo

Coat the gold with nail polish/lacquer, polish the steel then remove the lacquer. Any metal polish except jnat slurry will remove/fade the gold.

Top Bottom