What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I feel like it will have a good grip during the shave. Famous last words:117:. I've got a collection of Solingen luxury straight razors from the last quarter of the 1800's. Most of them have covered tangs. In my experience the grip isn't quite as good as with a non covered tang, but it's good enough. Besides the looks of the beautiful tang by far outweighs any disadvantages.
Congratulations to a very beautiful razor.:001_smile

Thanks you. I’ll be sure to hold on tight when I take it for a spin lol.

Beautiful, silver and black a timeless classic

Agreed I do love the black and silver.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
New Old Stock.

Sta-Sharp.Sears.8-14-19.640.Vendor'sPhoto.jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

52552560-4C5E-4B44-B0F5-8D8EE9BACE72.jpeg
I just purchased this Frauenzimmer at an Antique store in Maine. It is new but old stock in excellent condition. Full hollow. Solingen, Germany. It still needs to be honed for the first time since it is factory sharp only.

Does anyone know anything about Frauenzimmer or what date this may have been made? I know Frauenzimmer in German means Ladies’ Room but is obviously a family name of the maker.

The bone scales are nice and straight on this Solingen Bismarck Razor Works from the wild. It reads “E. GEH Co. Cleveland, O.” on the opposite side. Did Dovo take over Bismarck?

There are enough issues with the edge that only the center portion of the blade was “shave ready” this morning. Much more work to be done. Better not to rush...
7ECEE396-E8D0-430D-9CE5-CF53C6352CCF.jpeg

If I find a to me very interesting razor in mint condition I bid for it, but I only put a low bid. Then once in a while I get lucky like this time. This late Törnblom 4/8 shoulderless razor is definitely NOS, but what caught my interest is the inverted etching. I've only seen that on vintage Puma razors.
20190817_122954.jpg

20190817_123015.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If I find a to me very interesting razor in mint condition I bid for it, but I only put a low bid. Then once in a while I get lucky like this time. This late Törnblom 4/8 shoulderless razor is definitely NOS, but what caught my interest is the inverted etching. I've only seen that on vintage Puma razors.
View attachment 1008754
View attachment 1008753

Wow!

You really did get lucky particularly since this was a low ball bid. Beautiful razor!

Wow!

You really did get lucky particularly since this was a low ball bid. Beautiful razor!
Thank you Jim. I was lucky. Few buyers look beyond Heljestrand or E.A. Berg so smaller brands like Törnblom are often overlooked. Not that I mind, not at all.
Now that is beautiful Arne!!! :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:
Thank you Ian. As you know the true greatness of these razors, the hard durable ultra sharp edge they take , isn't seen by the eye but felt on the skin while shaving. Which makes me wonder, that bolt cutter of yours it isn't made by Bacho, Sandvik or any other Swedish tool manufacturer is it?

that bolt cutter of yours it isn't made by Bacho, Sandvik or any other Swedish tool manufacturer is it?

No sorry Arne!!! they are made by Ridgid tools, & yes they will cut skin in a fashion but if I put new cutters on then it will be a clean cut......

And yes the post is fantastic regarding the Swedish razors I have the M.K 12, 29, 30, 31, and the 32 and each one has its own style, and they all keep you on your toes or they bite

Just snagged these off the bay.
swedes.jpg

swedes1.jpg

A few chips on the edges and hopefully the rust is just on the surface.
Any info regarding these would be welcome.
My first Swedish blades.

Lots of great finds this afternoon. Here's what I found along the mid-coast of Maine. I have not done any clean up. What you see is what I found.

First find was a 6/8s+ Torrey Barbers Notch - This is the state I found it in. Very little hone wear. It has seen little use. The scales are perfect. It seems to have been coated in an oil paste that's dried up. Hoping a little WD-40 and some elbow grease will take it off.
DSC_6324 - Boothbay Finds - Torrey as Found.jpg

I found "The Reaper", a Joseph Rogers and Sons, razor with very little hone wear where I found the Torrey. The scales are in great shape. Could pass up owning a razor called "THE REAPER"

The ERN was found in a different town. It is a Crown and Sword round point with a light wear from honing. The bone scales are in fine shape. The "GAD" that has been scratched into the scales can easily be removed.

DSC_6327 - Boothbay Finds - as found.jpg

Lots of great finds this afternoon. Here's what I found along the mid-coast of Maine. I have not done any clean up. What you see is what I found.

First find was a 6/8s+ Torrey Barbers Notch - This is the state I found it in. Very little hone wear. It has seen little use. The scales are perfect. It seems to have been coated in an oil paste that's dried up. Hoping a little WD-40 and some elbow grease will take it off.
View attachment 1009214

I found "The Reaper", a Joseph Rogers and Sons, razor with very little hone wear where I found the Torrey. The scales are in great shape. Could pass up owning a razor called "THE REAPER"

The ERN was found in a different town. It is a Crown and Sword round point with a light wear from honing. The bone scales are in fine shape. The "GAD" that has been scratched into the scales can easily be removed.

View attachment 1009222

Nice finds indeed. Shouldn’t take much to get that Torrey ready for Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom