What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

And one more American razor. Top Flight, Burrell Cutlery Co., Ellicottville, NY.
View attachment 1000986
Nice looking blade. I'm surprised at the number of razors with names related to golf, Tanifuji Maxfli and Tanifuji Spaulding, and Top Flight used to be the name one of Spaulding's popular golf club and golf ball, probably the most popular golf ball for a few years. The Japanese blades were probably trying to appeal to the US market, as Maxfli and Spaulting were popular at about the time the razors were made.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
A friend just walked up to me the other day and gave me this razor. I have began honing it but haven’t confit yet.
I don’t post here often because I have only two straight razors and only use one daily. But I will need to give this one a go once I have it ready.

732A6AA4-78E0-4EF0-8A7D-100F1D58EA61.jpeg

4C42E10E-913B-4281-B40B-26488B42CA7A.png

EE8DD7D6-1B96-4DE2-AD2E-763FB75FD51F.png

Well this was supposed to say 15/16.
After 15 years in the US I still have trouble since my brain is programmed in the metric system :)

And they forced us to learn both systems with the intention of converting fully to metric but then decided, ah never mind. Dumb bureaucrats. ;)

Lovely razor man!

Scored this Torrey on the bay yesterday! Hopefully it's as good as the pix show I know how pix can be. Excellent seller from my home state though.
s-l400.jpg
and also a nice Fredrick Reynolds Sheffield that was passed to me by @Dick peck to get me going on non shavette staights Thank You Sir!
IMG_20190727_191347.jpg

And down the rabbit hole I followed knowing the consequences of my actions...

Scored this Torrey on the bay yesterday! Hopefully it's as good as the pix show I know how pix can be. Excellent seller from my home state though.View attachment 1002933 and also a nice Fredrick Reynolds Sheffield that was passed to me by @Dick peck to get me going on non shavette staights Thank You Sir!View attachment 1002934
And down the rabbit hole I followed knowing the consequences of my actions...
You're on the path... Just follow the yellow brick road...

Filarmonica Inox 31-N. I have a couple of 8/8 Fili's which I love, but I generally prefer a 6/8 - 7/8 sized razor. I was surprised that my opening bid held up and got it for a very good price.

s-l1600 copy.jpg

Don't know if she's a dud or not but I got her for 10 bones on the bay she's a
Garantie Bohlerstahl Noleka Solingen,
we'll see by Saturday hopefully!
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (3).jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg

These are the sellers photos by the way.

Last edited:
There are quite a few Scandinavian web shops for shaving gear, but one of them stand out in every way so I go there to have a look every now and then. I once tried to go to their store in northern Sweden while passing by, but unfortunately they were closed at the time. However the last time I checked their web store they had their summer sale and saw that they had a 30 percent discount on a Thiers Issard razor that I have ogled for years. I gave it some serious thought. With a 30 percent discount the price was about the same as a top of the line Aust or Wacker and about as expensive as a basic Koraat. Then again rationally I didn’t need it, but I had been watching it for so long. I bought it. It was in my mailbox when I got home yesterday after a few days roundtrip to see old friends.

This morning I opened the box and scrutinised the razor. It was totally flawless. The bone scales are perfect with beautiful lines and the festooned spine is gorgeous. I stropped it and shaved with it. I couldn’t have honed it better myself. This isn’t my first Thiers Issard and the experience have always been the same. The price is high, but so is the quality.

ti festoon.jpg

There are quite a few Scandinavian web shops for shaving gear, but one of them stand out in every way so I go there to have a look every now and then. I once tried to go to their store in northern Sweden while passing by, but unfortunately they were closed at the time. However the last time I checked their web store they had their summer sale and saw that they had a 30 percent discount on a Thiers Issard razor that I have ogled for years. I gave it some serious thought. With a 30 percent discount the price was about the same as a top of the line Aust or Wacker and about as expensive as a basic Koraat. Then again rationally I didn’t need it, but I had been watching it for so long. I bought it. It was in my mailbox when I got home yesterday after a few days roundtrip to see old friends.

This morning I opened the box and scrutinised the razor. It was totally flawless. The bone scales are perfect with beautiful lines and the festooned spine is gorgeous. I stropped it and shaved with it. I couldn’t have honed it better myself. This isn’t my first Thiers Issard and the experience have always been the same. The price is high, but so is the quality.

View attachment 1003977

Wow that is beautiful Arne!!! :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1: you do realise that has made the top of the list :behead:

Top Bottom