What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Really great find. I obviously need to start hitting the flea markets in the area. Ivory and everything. Nice!

My latest, a W&B with Masonic markings. No "England" on the blade, so I guess Pre-1890's? I little corrosion, but no real rust

Horn scales looks like. Question: the end of the scales are carved and come together with no wedge. Was this the way it was done normally? Kinda cool.View attachment 959603

Nice! I like the older razors with etched blades, that one is in really good condition.

Just got this Hana Tonbo 6/8 FBU near wedge. Looks like it has never touched a stone... Until today! Hitting the stones here soon to get a shaving edge on it. Really excited to see how it shaves!View attachment 959613

Wow, that does look new. Really nice.

You guys are killing me....im trying so hard not to increase my collection as i patiently wait for a new razor to arrive and you post stuff like this :a47:

Thank you Arne!!!
To be fair Arne! You my friend are a way better man than myself, with all of your stunning collection I just hope it shaves as nice as my Koraat as that is the same size.

Thank you Boris!!! Sadly no but I hope it is worth it and I'm sure it will.....

Oh yes there is a very active community still and if you can get the hang of them they are very rewarding shaves that's for sure....

Dont worry Arne!!! I did sound my horn first and I would do the same for yourself....

Ian thanks for posting that MAN commercial....made me laugh .... MAN is one of our axle suppliers.

It never fails, when I get a new (to me) razor, I think, this is it, my favorite razor. Well, here's my newest favorite razor that I rescued today. It's a Kittel Brothers Sheffield, anyone heard of it? Under the name it has a pair of glasses with "I" on one lens and "C" on the other, I'm assuming it means "I see". Going by the length and shape of the tang, I would think it was made around mid 1800's. The blade is 6/8, probably half ground, shoulderless with a finger groove. It has some spine work and it's wide with jimps on top. Last but certainly not least, it has Ivory scales.

Here's some pictures, I didn't do much more than wash it off. It's been used but I din't think very much. It also came with a nice Wade & Butcher case.

2019-03-08 18.38.52.jpg

2019-03-08 17.39.24.jpg

2019-03-08 16.09.53.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It never fails, when I get a new (to me) razor, I think, this is it, my favorite razor. Well, here's my newest favorite razor that I rescued today. It's a Kittel Brothers Sheffield, anyone heard of it? Under the name it has a pair of glasses with "I" on one lens and "C" on the other, I'm assuming it means "I see". Going by the length and shape of the tang, I would think it was made around mid 1800's. The blade is 6/8, probably half ground, shoulderless with a finger groove. It has some spine work and it's wide with jimps on top. Last but certainly not least, it has Ivory scales.

Here's some pictures, I didn't do much more than wash it off. It's been used but I din't think very much. It also came with a nice Wade & Butcher case.

View attachment 960664
View attachment 960665
View attachment 960666

Lovely razor.

Getting started in straights with a Dr. Matt by Jerry Stark. Elated with how it turned out.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 960664
View attachment 960665
View attachment 960666
Excellent!

That Jerry Stark is great too!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Getting started in straights with a Dr. Matt by Jerry Stark. Elated with how it turned out.

Jerry Stark's website is worth a read. He seems to be very well informed about all things steel and his razors are lovely.

proxy.php

Are you saying this is your starter straight razor? With a matching Paladin brush? Wow!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
That’s correct, my first straight. I watched a Dr. Matt video and thought the concept of a shorter blade for a beginner razor was appealing. Jerry was great to work with. It was easy to just say, I’ll take a Dr. Matt razor. I showed him the Kirinite tortoise I wanted and he fired it up.

Got lucky on the Paladin a few months ago. Lucky coincidence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That’s correct, my first straight. I watched a Dr. Matt video and thought the concept of a shorter blade for a beginner razor was appealing. Jerry was great to work with. It was easy to just say, I’ll take a Dr. Matt razor. I showed him the Kirinite tortoise I wanted and he fired it up.

Got lucky on the Paladin a few months ago. Lucky coincidence!

I'd say all you need now is a Fili 8/8. Just so you have something to shave with while your razor is off getting tuned up by Jerry.

What strop did you pick to go with that setup?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom