What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

20230512_154921.jpg

My new Iwasaki Kamisori, swedish steel. Took it out the box and did my first shave with it to see if it was shave ready, and boy it was. The shave was what I imagined how most people describe coticules, seemed like a super comfortable shave without being too sharp. After the shave, I did a HHT test and it wasnt doing so well. I stropped it on 0.5micron then 0.1micron paste on leather and now its doing HHT4 to 4.5. I will shave with this tomorrow to see how it does.

I am absolutely loving this. I shaved strictly on the flat side with the stamp, ura is it? The short blade length and the thicker blade made the shave much easier than my Ralf Aust. This is probably a preference thing, but for me, it was instant love at first shave with this. Stropping this sucker is super easy too because of how short the blade is and not dealing with the hinge of a western straight. Its just easier for a noob like me. With the western straight, I really have to pay attention to my technique when stropping to get it right and understand what people mean when they say it takes longer to master stropping than honing, but with the kamisori, stropping is just WAY easier. Anyone else feel that way?

View attachment 1653116
My new Iwasaki Kamisori, swedish steel. Took it out the box and did my first shave with it to see if it was shave ready, and boy it was. The shave was what I imagined how most people describe coticules, seemed like a super comfortable shave without being too sharp. After the shave, I did a HHT test and it wasnt doing so well. I stropped it on 0.5micron then 0.1micron paste on leather and now its doing HHT4 to 4.5. I will shave with this tomorrow to see how it does.

I am absolutely loving this. I shaved strictly on the flat side with the stamp, ura is it? The short blade length and the thicker blade made the shave much easier than my Ralf Aust. This is probably a preference thing, but for me, it was instant love at first shave with this. Stropping this sucker is super easy too because of how short the blade is and not dealing with the hinge of a western straight. Its just easier for a noob like me. With the western straight, I really have to pay attention to my technique when stropping to get it right and understand what people mean when they say it takes longer to master stropping than honing, but with the kamisori, stropping is just WAY easier. Anyone else feel that way?
I have this razor and it is a favorite. However, my understanding is that you shave with the omote (which is the unstamped side) against the skin. The side with the stamp is the ura and is not in contact with the skin.

I have this razor and it is a favorite. However, my understanding is that you shave with the omote (which is the unstamped side) against the skin. The side with the stamp is the ura and is not in contact with the skin.
the unstamped side huh, I knew I got it mixed up lol, I guess the shave is probably going to be better tomorrow! thanks! Not only is it sharper now that I stropped it with crox and iron oxide, but I also used the wrong side this morning lol

the unstamped side huh, I knew I got it mixed up lol, I guess the shave is probably going to be better tomorrow! thanks! Not only is it sharper now that I stropped it with crox and iron oxide, but I also used the wrong side this morning lol
While it is recommended to only use one side, many like myself use both sides. To use the stamped side against your face, you need to change the angle of the blade against your face. If I recall, a greater angle is needed when using the stamped side.

View attachment 1653116

Please help me with the HHT grade numbers?

I see HHT3 or 4 or whatever often enough and haven't been able to find the reference to what exactly it means. I get good HHT3 with soft hair on my edges, but never know what the numbers mean if there's better HHT3 I'm missing

I see HHT3 or 4 or whatever often enough and haven't been able to find the reference to what exactly it means. I get good HHT3 with soft hair on my edges, but never know what the numbers mean if there's better HHT3 I'm missing
I rely on the CBT, i.e. Cutting Beard Test:)
As far as i understand it is the distance at which the hair is cut from the pinch point.
Which units are we talking about here?
Root in or out, hair type etc. will also make a big difference.

I am still trying to understand the imperial unit system. The HHT unit system is even more confusing. If it is based on the imperial system i have no chance to understand it.
1684156996752.png

What is the specific gravity of one stone? At least i have tried.
1684157778408.png

Last edited:

Found this from an old BnB thread. HHT levels
1. Shaves arm hair at skin level
2. Violins hanging hair
3. Pops a hanging hair with a tug
4. Same, but with very little pop
5. Hair falls away silently with zero tug

Decent haul from the local antique mall:

Queens Own Co. Sheffield. England. Reverse tang Nathan Joseph. San Francisco Cal.

IMG_2171.jpeg

Benko Rus & Co. Chicago. Ill. U.S.A.

IMG_2172.jpeg

Peder Tolstrup. Eskilstuna. Sweden. Reverse tang Fred Dolle. Sole Agent For U. ST.

IMG_2173.jpeg

Kaministikwia. Gerry Bros. Fort William. Canada. Reverse of tang has Hugo Koeller. Best Brand.

IMG_2174.jpeg

Top Bottom