What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Just in from the UK - NOS 1968 Stiz. I've been curious about these post-war USSR razors.

View attachment 1562767
The one I have gives a really nice shave. Took a good edge and lasted for quite a while.
20211010_230335.jpg

Was looking for a winter project and won this pair of W&B on a recent auction. What people (OK me and 1 other guy) were bidding on was a 7/8 wedge that just has some minor corrosion, small edge chips, and scales in good condition. Really I only need to tighten the pivot pin. Then there is the “free” razor, an 11/16 1/2 hollow with shot scales, a chipped edge and multiple red rust spots. That will take some work. But the chips are only about 1mm deep so this will still be a legit 5/8 when done.
View attachment 1562970
View attachment 1562969
These look familiar. I was likely the other bidder.

I went on a mini-buying spree recently. The last of the recent purchases finally arrived after a long trip from France. Its a 6/8” extra hollow by Pierre Fritisse, a manufacturer of razors from the Thiers region. Per some old posts in B&B @Mango identified that the “Fortunatus“ name was registered in 1942. In pretty good condition, I don’t expect that it will need any restoration work, just honing.
B499473D-D2C4-4978-BAC3-F997A6F061C0.jpeg

Im online looking for my 3rd straight,i havent spotted anything that jumps out at me yet,but i want light scales this time,white or maybe ivory,did see a Dorko i liked,but the German seller doesnt post to UK🤔 i'll keep looking!

So I bought this on September 2 and it was shipped the next day. Mid-November, I contacted the seller and they initiated a lost item process with their postal carrier. NZPost contacted me and confirmed some details and then late November the seller and I were reimbursed.

Then today...

president.jpg

NOS 13/16 Half Hollow that I had completely given up on ever shaving with!

Back in February or March I ordered 7 new custom made TI's directly from Thiers-Issard in France to complete an assorted 7-day (9 total) set of TI's, each customized for each day of the week to be used in a rotation (though I didn't have the days of the week put on them). Being the terrible procrastinator that I am, I've been putting off taking pics of them since they arrived in March, but I plan to take pics of the still unused razors sometime soon and post them here for My Sunday through Saturday set and my two 7/8's that I'll use on the occasions when I haven't shaved for a few days. (I've only shaved like 5 or 6 times this year (if that) maintaining a stubble with clippers).

I'll also probably start a Thiers-Issard appreciation thread :p

Top Bottom