What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Christmas in August for me. The postman dropped off a couple that I've been waiting impatiently for.

First, an 11/16 Soderen fresh from a slow boat from Sweden. Second, a 7/8+ Herder 49 from Griffith. The Soderen probably would shave based on the treetop test but I will touch it up first. The Herder is getting a test run as soon as Mrs. Scandalous finishes touching up her hair color.

20210828_130818.jpg
20210828_131102.jpg

My first razor with ivory scales - a Joseph Rodgers 6/8 inch near wedge with ivory scales. Got it via a low-ball bid when no one else wanted it - go figure.

The blade and scales are in remarkably good condition, and cleaned up rather easily. The blade may not be very wide, but the tang is thick, giving the razor considerable heft. I still need to put an edge on it. The scales look much better in person than the photos.

Before - seller's photo:

01.jpg

After.

20210829_221756399_iOS.jpg

My first razor with ivory scales - a Joseph Rodgers 6/8 inch near wedge with ivory scales. Got it via a low-ball bid when no one else wanted it - go figure.

The blade and scales are in remarkably good condition, and cleaned up rather easily. The blade may not be very wide, but the tang is thick, giving the razor considerable heft. I still need to put an edge on it. The scales look much better in person than the photos.

Before - seller's photo:

View attachment 1319352

After.

View attachment 1319351
How do you clean those spots of black pitting?

How do you clean those spots of black pitting?

Sandpaper. I used to often start with 100 grit sanding perpendicular to the edge. Recently, for each grit, I first sand parallel to the edge and then perpendicular to the edge. For areas with more oxidation, I may repeat this process multiple times. With this move to sanding in two directions, I find that I can start with about one grit finer. For the Joseph Rodgers 6/8, I used 220/240, 400, 800, 1200, 2000 and 2500 grit followed by 00 and 0000 steel wool, and Mothers polish.

@2bit_collie told me that he sometimes uses circular motions.

Sandpaper. I used to often start with 100 grit sanding perpendicular to the edge. Recently, for each grit, I first sand parallel to the edge and then perpendicular to the edge. For areas with more oxidation, I may repeat this process multiple times. With this move to sanding in two directions, I find that I can start with about one grit finer. For the Joseph Rodgers 6/8, I used 220/240, 400, 800, 1200, 2000 and 2500 grit followed by 00 and 0000 steel wool, and Mothers polish.

@2bit_collie told me that he sometimes uses circular motions.
Do you use a fixture or guide to keep the sanding marks perpendicular to the edge (like grind marks) or do you just eyeball it?

Before - seller's photo:

View attachment 1319352

After.

View attachment 1319351
Great job and a very fine razor.

Been waiting patiently for this one to be finished, then shipped across from RSF in the Haut Vosges. Special steel!

Conceived and made by Ertan Süer:
Rasoir Sabre France Campiono 6/8, thumb notch blank, rosewood scales
Custom 100C6 high carbon steel blank hot forged in RSF's own forging dies by Forges Foréziennes in Noirétable. Noirétable is east and a little south of Thiers, perhaps 20 km as the crow flies.

Just opened, still in the traveling oil...
B4E1E669-2BB2-46D1-A8EC-0C5BEC278D65.jpeg

Been waiting patiently for this one to be finished, then shipped across from RSF in the Haut Vosges. Special steel!

Conceived and made by Ertan Süer:
Rasoir Sabre France Campiono 6/8, thumb notch blank, rosewood scales
Custom 100C6 high carbon steel blank hot forged in RSF's own forging dies by Forges Foréziennes in Noirétable. Noirétable is east and a little south of Thiers, perhaps 20 km as the crow flies.

Just opened, still in the traveling oil...
View attachment 1320564

congrats. Thats is a looker!!!

When this stunning beauty popped on eBay…I did not even make an offer…I just paid the asking price! In my past experience the Guillermo Hoppe 14s are every bit as good a shaver as the Filarmonica 14s.

They may not be as pretty, but the symmetry, fineness of the extra full hollow grinds, and shaving prowess are second to none!

These are the sellers photos…it’s due to arrive later today…so it looks like I will have to wait to shave just a little bit longer!

Vr

Matt
09E9B7A2-8D6C-45E0-8077-CB0D93DF215F.jpeg
3904DED9-3407-4345-AB32-75D3F40824A8.jpeg
F0DACBDF-729C-4EC3-B51A-531978A6EF9F.jpeg

When this stunning beauty popped on eBay…I did not even make an offer…I just paid the asking price! In my past experience the Guillermo Hoppe 14s are every bit as good a shaver as the Filarmonica 14s.

They may not be as pretty, but the symmetry, fineness of the extra full hollow grinds, and shaving prowess are second to none!

These are the sellers photos…it’s due to arrive later today…so it looks like I will have to wait to shave just a little bit longer!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1320863View attachment 1320864View attachment 1320865
Nice. I had my eye on another one, very similar, but I think I'm going to make do with that Herder I just picked up, at least for a while.

If you know of a Guillermo Hoppe 14, and the price is right for the condition, I recommend getting it! They seem to be a little more rare, and they are phenomenal.

Vr

Matt
I think it was a 17, price seemed reasonable but over my current budget. Plus it was in Spain.

Edit: the 17 was over my budget, but I had my eye on a 14 that was a little overhoned. Both in Spain.

Last edited:
I think it was a 17, price seemed reasonable but over my current budget. Plus it was in Spain.

Edit: the 17 was over my budget, but I had my eye on a 14 that was a little overhoned. Both in Spain.

I think I saw the over-honed one…I think with patience you can find way better.

This one sort of fell into my lap…I had actually purchased a massive beautiful Wade and Butcher from this seller before…lucky coincidence. This and the other one came from his late grandfathers collection.

At any rate, the new GH14 arrived! This is my third one, and the other two have extreme full hollow grinds.

This GH14 had a nice surprise upon closer inspection, and I am fairly amped!

Vr

Matt
43C95440-140C-4712-B6E0-A081CF995ACD.jpeg

I think I saw the over-honed one…I think with patience you can find way better.

This one sort of fell into my lap…I had actually purchased a massive beautiful Wade and Butcher from this seller before…lucky coincidence. This and the other one came from his late grandfathers collection.

At any rate, the new GH14 arrived! This is my third one, and the other two have extreme full hollow grinds.

This GH14 had a nice surprise upon closer inspection, and I am fairly amped!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1321108
E4D07DDD-E643-4506-8362-8E7280284F3F.jpeg

Well the postman knocked twice yesterday. I bought a couple of razors off the French E-bay site and they were delivered yesterday. The first was a Kabrand - it looked nice in the pictures and I probably paid way more than I should have. When it turned up it was a mess. The entire spine and bevel were missing! Ground off on some sort of grinder. Is there a thread for extremely bad razors? I should start one as I have bought some really classic pieces of crap over the last 12 months.

The other razor was much better - it is a Beaujeu Aine ( I believe it was made in the Thiers area) no idea of the date and the blade has a blued finish (similar to the finish on firearms). It should clean up quite nicely
Ideal Tranchant.jpg
Kabrand2.jpg

HIt rate with ebay razors isn't too good - I have had about 4 good shavers to about 10 duds

Top Bottom