What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Just showed up today.
Henkotsu-H.jpg
Henkotsu-B.jpg
Henkotsu-F.jpg
Henkotsu-A.jpg

I have wrapped some knives in the past, but will not wrap the kamisori. Wrapping will trap water and make rust. I know the wraps are waxed, but they will not be a perfect protector. The waxed wraps that I have seen and bought all show some signs of rust. There is a method called Urushi (handle) finishing that takes 2 weeks to dry and achieves a polished finish. But I do not know how to do that. Here is a photo of that wrapping method.

View attachment 1299251
Yes. I have one with the same handle.

Urushi means lacquered. I’m guessing the wrapping are painted with lacquer afterwards.

Fun fact about Urushi. It’s derived from a plant in the poison oak/ivy/sumac family. I’ve encountered the plant in the wild…it looks like some mutated alien diseases got it. All red and blistered. Sometimes the finished lacquerware can cause a similar reaction as the plant itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This showed up today from a reputable ebayer. Falcon brand, for barber use. Not the older German brand but a Japanese 6/8. It has some beauty marks but nothing problematic.

Was advertised as shave ready, honed on Jnats, and was in fact shave ready. Very comfy and smooth. Not as sharp as my method edges but more forgiving. I think I'll leave this edge on it until it needs touching up. It's fairly heavy for a hollow grind which for me makes for smoother shaving.
20210719_214102.jpg

Picked up a Wade & Butcher in the wild over the weekend--unfortunately the scales were broken at the hinge pin, but I chose it over another non-descript (made in Germany) razor with intact scales, a barber's notch and half-hollow blade that was a few dollars less. I chose it due to it being a W&B (w/case), but also because it appeared to be a wedge/near wedge (appears to be a 5/8 when I measured it at the shop, but their ruler was pretty beat up so it could have started life as a 6/8 but I doubt it as it doesn't appear to have been ground down/minimal spine wear), and with the exception of one small area of pitting, the blade appeared to be in good shape. I'm guessing late 1800's but pre-1890 due to the lack of "England" and three-fletched arrow in the logo, but other than the logo, there are no other stampings/marks--any guesses as to the time frame it was produced? It will get cleaned up, and rescaled--not sure if I want to send it somewhere to have someone else restore it, or take on the project myself (I'm pretty handy, but I want to do it justice), but I also don't want to screw it up if the blade is significantly older than I'm thinking. Any rough cost estimates for a restoration with horn scales in the U.S. as well as reputable places to check out would be appreciated.
razor and case.jpg
Logo.jpgWedge.jpgcoffin case.jpg

This arrived today - my first Union Cutlery straight. Spots of red surface rust all over, so I will expedite drilling out the pivot pin and working on this, likely a vinegar bath followed by a long soak in WD40.

Very likely my smallest blade, it appears to be a well worn 4/8 and perhaps 3/4 hollow. Despite being a thinner grind than my other two 4/8 razors, it weighs a hair more. The scales are in good shape, if I thought I could get the rust off the pivot area without removing the pin I would, but I can see rust around the pivot and there is likely more that I can’t see. I touched the blade, it actually feels pretty sharp, judging by the hone wear on the spine this got some regular use at some point in the past. Looking at the photo I just realized that there is some faint etching on the blade. I can’t read it with my naked eye, which is fine, it likely won’t survive the rust removal anyway. :)

C2CFD62D-7087-4E4E-84F7-5AFA4765BC02.jpeg
31927C2F-C8FB-4A29-B0A4-9701C8276281.jpeg
C9F37AFE-409E-492C-BFD6-C483501E13F2.jpeg

proxy.php

Pretty stoked on this one! Geneva/Genco are my favorite American made blades, nothing fancy about them but they can hang w/ the best European brands. NOS Easy Aces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Slash! How did your razor hone up and shave?

I am on pins and needles here!

Vr

Matt

This showed up today from a reputable ebayer. Falcon brand, for barber use. Not the older German brand but a Japanese 6/8. It has some beauty marks but nothing problematic.

Was advertised as shave ready, honed on Jnats, and was in fact shave ready. Very comfy and smooth. Not as sharp as my method edges but more forgiving. I think I'll leave this edge on it until it needs touching up. It's fairly heavy for a hollow grind which for me makes for smoother shaving.
View attachment 1299376
I'm fairly certain I know the seller as I've purchased several myself all honed on jnats and they were all shave ready. Lately, I started tuning them up on diamond pasted balsa strops and they do improve.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Tis the season for 7/8 it seems. I was lucky enough to source a NOS Le Grelot 14 round nose, and it arrived today. A little metal polish just to clean off any oxidation (there was very little if any), a coat of Renaissance Wax, and off to the hones. Bevel set was with a Shapton Glass 4k HR, followed by a Shapton Glass 8k HC and a a favorite JNat and tomo nagura. I am looking forward to the shave tomorrow.

33034F4D-5068-4A14-B9CD-992801E9F2F2.jpeg
DFF9607C-F69F-44D1-80A5-1EF6DA5E4E3F.jpeg
5D393503-ACC2-4F63-8717-12F4EFD8747B.jpeg
31D2F5FB-64FA-445C-BE12-87B3543D49BA.jpeg

Tis the season for 7/8 it seems. I was lucky enough to source a NOS Le Grelot 14 round nose, and it arrived today. A little metal polish just to clean off any oxidation (there was very little if any), a coat of Renaissance Wax, and off to the hones. Bevel set was with a Shapton Glass 4k HR, followed by a Shapton Glass 8k HC and a a favorite JNat and tomo nagura. I am looking forward to the shave tomorrow.

View attachment 1300524View attachment 1300525View attachment 1300526View attachment 1300527
Fantastic condition for a P. Hospital! And if that is the 1 mil tape, you should get a fantastic edge.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hey @Eastcoast30 - Thank you ! yes it is the 1mi, Kapton. I’ve used it for a couple of years or more.

Thanks. she is on her way to my collection 😆

I think that you’ll really like the Cape 650, it’s a Perfectworks Silver Steel razor, and every one that I’ve had had been exceptional, including the scale quality. Look up the connection to Tanifuji on Fikira’s site.

Top Bottom