What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thank you Arne, it is beautiful. It’s seems to be ‘built’ on a 7/8 blank, it’s 6/8 to the top of the hollow, but al\nother 1/8 i\on top of that supports the guilloche. In hand it feels wider and heavier than a 6/8, more like a beefy 13/16 or a 7/8.

Im excited to finally be able to post in this thread. Acquired and got one shave out of my 5/8 Ralf Aust straight today.

CC25022D-81E4-4397-A7A3-BA1A5B51ED7F.jpeg

Thank you Arne, it is beautiful. It’s seems to be ‘built’ on a 7/8 blank, it’s 6/8 to the top of the hollow, but al\nother 1/8 i\on top of that supports the guilloche. In hand it feels wider and heavier than a 6/8, more like a beefy 13/16 or a 7/8.
As you've noted the French only include the hollow area in their size measurement, so a French 6/8 is actually 13/16 or 7/8. That goes for the modern Thiers Issard/Le Grelot razors too. In any case you know where to send it if it's too big for you :em2400:. I don't mind doing such a sacrifice for you.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thank you Arne, Gents dot com in Sweden has a BdF that’s a bit more modern, in olive wood scales that looks really good too, though the spine isn’t carved and the graphics are misssing the royal purple. That purple is not durable I think, at least it wasn’t on the Puma Ars Divina models. I’ve put a coat of Rennaisance wax on mine just for good measure.

Thank you Arne, Gents dot com in Sweden has a BdF that’s a bit more modern, in olive wood scales that looks really good too, though the spine isn’t carved and the graphics are misssing the royal purple. That purple is not durable I think, at least it wasn’t on the Puma Ars Divina models. I’ve put a coat of Rennaisance wax on mine just for good measure.

Thank you Steve. To be totally honest I've promised myself that I from now on only will buy very special Swedish 🇸🇪razors. "Very special" meaning the collectable ones I haven't been able to find during the last decade or so. My great razor spending days are over. The tough part will be when I finally get off the fence and start selling off my spare razors.

Having stated the above I must confess that there still are plenty of razors that makes me drool uncontrollably🤑, but then again that might more be due to me coming of age than anything else. :wheelchair:

My great razor spending days are over. The tough part will be when I finally get off the fence and start selling off my spare razors.

Having stated the above I must confess that there still are plenty of razors that makes me drool uncontrollably🤑, but then again that might more be due to me coming of age than anything else. :wheelchair:

I am not sure it's age, i feel the same way... i dipped my toe in with the Le Grelot i put on the BST

I am not sure it's age, i feel the same way... i dipped my toe in with the Le Grelot i put on the BST
I'm with you. I know that there are razors that I should sell, but somehow I can't decide which ones and I'm afraid that I'll make the wrong decision. I've never been a hoarder, every razor is carefully selected over a very long time period. Then again when any type of collection reaches a certain size it kind of indicates obsession rather than interest.

lucky second chance buy. i paid an obscene amount for this but know it will be a good one. my first 8/8 razor.

Estas 14/Max Sommer.

why I bought it:
1.I only get to go through the carnival of life once.

2. I know my Estas 56 is a superb shaver. (below picture)

20201005_055837.jpg

the 14 which should be here by the weekend.

20201012_102116.jpg

looks to be a nice big thin blade.

20201012_102044.jpg

I anticipate this one being a very special razor!!!!!

camo

lucky second chance buy. i paid an obscene amount for this but know it will be a good one. my first 8/8 razor.

Estas 14/Max Sommer.

why I bought it:

View attachment 1167881

View attachment 1167879

View attachment 1167880

camo
I've never owned any of the famous 14s, they are certainly on my list though!

Estas 14/Max Sommer.

why I bought it:

View attachment 1167881

View attachment 1167879

View attachment 1167880

camo

I saw this one. Great snag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this one. Great snag

thanks

I believe estas to be a fine razor holding their own with some of the top tier. otherwise wouldnt have went as crazy in this case. plus the simple rationing mind of mine deducts from the savings i got on the recent TI purchase. lol.

camo

proxy.php

proxy.php

These beauties finally landed from Europe. That’s just oil on blade still haven’t wiped off. Anyway I bought these as a birthday present to myself the first week of May. They made it to NY and bounced back to Belgium because of a mistake by Belgium post where they then were lost up until a couple weeks ago and they made there second trip and finally landed today :) feels like a second birthday [emoji23] anyway they are mint and I couldn’t be happier
Both natural scale
MK4
Mk32

Great day gents,

proxy.php

proxy.php

These beauties finally landed from Europe. That’s just oil on blade still haven’t wiped off. Anyway I bought these as a birthday present to myself the first week of May. They made it to NY and bounced back to Belgium because of a mistake by Belgium post where they then were lost up until a couple weeks ago and they made there second trip and finally landed today :) feels like a second birthday [emoji23] anyway they are mint and I couldn’t be happier
Both natural scale
MK4
Mk32

Great day gents,

glad the postal snafus got straightened out!!!!!

nice blades.

camo

I have a Friodur 17 clocking in at 7/8+ and a Jerry stark custom at 8/8, those razors have let me know I would absolutely enjoy an 8/8+ fine hollow ground. I may start to look for finer examples in the next few months.

I would be hard pressed to pick a more fine full hollow between the German and Spanish 14s that I have...probably the Spanish by a slight margin (Filarmonicas and Kron Vest).

That being said...the 13/16 Dubl Duck Goldedge beats them all in my experience with perhaps the Salamanca Filly 14 being the exception.

I hope that you get one soon! They are magnificent shavers!

Vr

Matt

proxy.php

proxy.php

Both natural scale
MK4
Mk32

Great day gents,

Very very nice!

Top Bottom