What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Waiting for this in the mail. Courtesy of Matt at Griffith
A507BBDC-325E-4A32-8882-0DA46F4B03C4.jpeg
15B38D9A-F0A5-48EB-AF7F-FD50B70BC91A.jpeg

Revisor 76 landed this eve.

20200803_205142.jpg

I don't think this one has been touched much at all. relatively sharp.....but just to be safe will run on 12k, maybe Ark, then balsa progression.

small but i like it. when comparing to my other known razors, it falls between a 4/8 and a 5/8????

camo

Well guys, something very special arrived in the post today. A set of three vintage Heljestrand MK31’s.

I couldn’t tell much from the photos but these razors appear to be natural ivory scales in very good condition. The ivory is bright and clean. The blades appear to have very little wear on them. Apart from a few tiny patina marks I can not see any rust or corrosion on the blades not even in the pivot. Two of the three have tight pins and close perfectly centrally. One is a little looser and easier to open this one closes about 70:30 off centre.

So far I have been using my modern Ralf Aust with good results. For my second SR I chose to go vintage. I’ve heard good things about the Swedes. The set looked good so I guess that I have a few back ups now. The edges are sharpish and will clip a few hairs but I don’t consider them to be shave ready just yet.

I’m surprised by how good these look. Fairly light in the hand. The thumb notch edges are sharp and provide really good grip. I can’t wait to hone them up and try them out. I’ve pictures the one that seems to have the most wear. I intend to use this one first and pack the rest away as spares.

If anyone has any tips for looking after the ivory, I’m all ears. I’ve seen a few vintage razors with a yellow tinge and I’m not in a rush to douse these in mineral oil, Renaissance Wax or anything else that could ruin them before I get some advise. They seem to have lasted well so far.

95D3E5F4-F78C-45A0-933D-6468F39820B5.jpeg
2574D1B6-FC78-42FD-B06D-B991FB8340F7.jpeg
4EA63343-7FCE-4144-A5E3-FE1EBFB9B92F.jpeg
27688E8C-BEF8-4120-83E3-4DF6A606036A.jpeg

Well guys, something very special arrived in the post today. A set of three vintage Heljestrand MK31’s.

I couldn’t tell much from the photos but these razors appear to be natural ivory scales in very good condition. The ivory is bright and clean. The blades appear to have very little wear on them. Apart from a few tiny patina marks I can not see any rust or corrosion on the blades not even in the pivot. Two of the three have tight pins and close perfectly centrally. One is a little looser and easier to open this one closes about 70:30 off centre.

So far I have been using my modern Ralf Aust with good results. For my second SR I chose to go vintage. I’ve heard good things about the Swedes. The set looked good so I guess that I have a few back ups now. The edges are sharpish and will clip a few hairs but I don’t consider them to be shave ready just yet.

I’m surprised by how good these look. Fairly light in the hand. The thumb notch edges are sharp and provide really good grip. I can’t wait to hone them up and try them out. I’ve pictures the one that seems to have the most wear. I intend to use this one first and pack the rest away as spares.

If anyone has any tips for looking after the ivory, I’m all ears. I’ve seen a few vintage razors with a yellow tinge and I’m not in a rush to douse these in mineral oil, Renaissance Wax or anything else that could ruin them before I get some advise. They seem to have lasted well so far.

View attachment 1134752View attachment 1134753View attachment 1134754View attachment 1134755

nice set and case Tomo!!!!!

by my count you have two extra.....I'll PM my address!!!!! lol

camo

Revisor 76 landed this eve.

View attachment 1134645

I don't think this one has been touched much at all. relatively sharp.....but just to be safe will run on 12k, maybe Ark, then balsa progression.

small but i like it. when comparing to my other known razors, it falls between a 4/8 and a 5/8????

camo

after looking at this more last night under the loupe.......I believe it to be a 90 year old factory edge untouched.

camo

nice set and case Tomo!!!!!

by my count you have two extra.....I'll PM my address!!!!! lol

camo
Thanks mate. I spent some time on one this evening and it’s definitely sharp now. It had a slight smile to but no clips anywhere. I’ve corrected the smile a little but didn’t want to go overboard with the honing. I can’t wait to see how she goes tomorrow.

View attachment 1134752View attachment 1134753View attachment 1134754View attachment 1134755
I strive to be a better person each day, but today I am full of jealousy...

nice.....was seriously watching that one. glad to see you got it.

camo

Thanks! It's in great condition. Gave it a quick trip to the coticule last night and shave tested this morning. Still have some work to do there but it feels great in the hand. Gonna be superb if I can get the edge right.

You guys can sure find 'em! I did a little birthday shopping on the French auction site today, since I had no French razors. Obviously, a situation that fairly screamed for remediation! The Le Grelot looks a little rough, but I'm hoping salvageable. It's really tough to find much info on the French razors. Probably a language thing?

Top Bottom