What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

A vintage store I went to today had a tub of straight razors. I wasn't even looking for straights but at the prices I negotiated I felt compelled to pull the trigger on these. The second one is in just fabulous shape. I hope the W&B is salvageable. The scales are wrecked and the blade needs TLC, but I'm hoping that someone looking to restore SRs will look at it and pay more than I did for it.

IMG_20200228_135004.jpg

IMG_20200228_135301.jpg

A vintage store I went to today had a tub of straight razors. I wasn't even looking for straights but at the prices I negotiated I felt compelled to pull the trigger on these. The second one is in just fabulous shape. I hope the W&B is salvageable. The scales are wrecked and the blade needs TLC, but I'm hoping that someone looking to restore SRs will look at it and pay more than I did for it.

View attachment 1068204
View attachment 1068205
Well Done!

The French Connection

I bid last week on three razors on Fleabay and ended up winning the auction. The package was waiting for me yesterday even when I got home and after dinner opened it up to see what I had paid for. They ended up at $51 AUD (approx $27 US) for the three of them plus postage. I figured that even if 2 of them were duds, I would still be doing ok.

There were three French razors (no, not three French hens and 2 turtle doves) and they had obviously been around for a while. There was a frame back with P Luent stamped on the tang and Le Marin (The Sailor) faintly engraved on the blade. Not too much wear and just a wee bit of corrosion - looks like it will clean up nicely.

Next was a Peroux Cognet with yellow scales and Le Talisman stamped on the scales. On the blade was engraved Pour Barberdour (for Barbers) also very faintly.

The third one was a Kabrand 496 with tortoise shell (faux?) scales. On the tang was Kabrand 496 and on the other side Garanti Trempe et affile (guaranteed temper and hardness) plus MD496 4/8 28/4/27. I am guess it was made in 1927 and was number 496?

All three look completely restorable and for once I struck it lucky on the internet!

Done a bit of Googling but there isn't much info out there on these razors

cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Kabrand 496.JPG
    Kabrand 496.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • Kabrand Blade.JPG
    Kabrand Blade.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • Kabrand date.JPG
    Kabrand date.JPG
    965.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Kabrand Scale motif.JPG
    Kabrand Scale motif.JPG
    918.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P Luen - scales.JPG
    P Luen - scales.JPG
    696.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P Luent - Garanti.JPG
    P Luent - Garanti.JPG
    734.3 KB · Views: 21
  • P Luent - La Marin.JPG
    P Luent - La Marin.JPG
    690.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Peroux - Le Talisman.JPG
    Peroux - Le Talisman.JPG
    800.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Peroux Blade.JPG
    Peroux Blade.JPG
    723 KB · Views: 14
  • Peroux Cognet.JPG
    Peroux Cognet.JPG
    803 KB · Views: 13

At some point I should post my collection I suppose, but this catch deserves some boasting.
It is a Heljestrand Mk2 and it looks way better than the picture shows, almost pristine. Arrived today and with minimal honing (not even bevel set on 1k) got it to my shave ready standard. Great shaver. My third Heljestrand (also mk6 and mk 24) and seems to be my favorite. I always get stuff at fairly low prices, but this might be my best catch yet at a mere 27 dollars.

Here's a CV Heljestrand. Not sure if I was using my head purchasing this but my heart said "yes." The pictures weren't great and I was the only bidder. Probably overpaid. I just hope it will hold an edge. Either way I get to cross "Swedish frameback" off of my list. Now to get something with a covered tang. Then I can call it good for now and get back to collecting DEs!
IMG_20200306_192439.jpg

IMG_20200306_192427.jpg

You have an excellent razor on your hands.Great Steel from a special process made in Austria. Razor was made and ground in Japan.For age probably made in 1960's.The only problem is that you are gone to get spoiled by the great quality of the shave that razor will provide.Welcome to the great rabbit hole of Japanese Straights.

nice. good info. the razor is over 20 years older then me. this was gonna be my practice razor. but now with this new info im thinking i should put this on a higher shelf.

Top Bottom