What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The good news for you specifically is you have options.

1. You have a convex hone, grab a margarita and go at it no-thinko-de-Mayo style and it'll be fine.

2. If it’s well ground, On a flat hone you should be able to basically just start a lap with an x-stroke heel leading and swing the toe around to finish toe leading and get it all.

3. Sharpie the edge up and check. Your vision is one of the first things impaired by margaritas.

Thanks so much. That's really great news. I should be able to hone it successfully. Since I don't drink alcohol I'll have to use my normal senses. I can't imagine honing while drinking. That must be what happened to some of the razors I come across on eBay.

I've cleaned up the big Fredericks Celebrated Razor today. Not too much. I'm not shooting for a new looking shiny razor here. This one's pre 1892 and might as well look it. Just my usually elbow grease methods (see below).

Another razor arrived today.

ATOR | ERN | Wald:480:6-12-19.JPG

The face side says only ATOR.

ERN | ATOR | Wald.backside.6-12-19.480JPG.JPG

The backside says ERN and Wald-Soligen (and some numbers and Made in Germany). I did a bit of hand polishing. There were some little funky marks up by the spine, but I got them out with fine steel wool, Flitz, a microfiber cloth, a brass toothbrush, and plenty of elbow grease. In other words I used my burrito powered power tools.

I like the way the ERN razor looks and will hone it pretty soon. I like the shoulder-less style. I like the color of the scales. I've heard great things about how the ERN razors shave. This is my first ERN razor and I'm excited to have it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks so much. That's really great news. I should be able to hone it successfully. Since I don't drink alcohol I'll have to use my normal senses. I can't imagine honing while drinking. That must be what happened to some of the razors I come across on eBay.

I've cleaned up the big Fredericks Celebrated Razor today. Not too much. I'm not shooting for a new looking shiny razor here. This one's pre 1892 and might as well look it. Just my usually elbow grease methods (see below).

Another razor arrived today.

View attachment 989961

The face side says only ATOR.

View attachment 989960

The backside says ERN and Wald-Soligen (and some numbers and Made in Germany). I did a bit of hand polishing. There were some little funky marks up by the spine, but I got them out with fine steel wool, Flitz, a microfiber cloth, a brass toothbrush, and plenty of elbow grease. In other words I used my burrito powered power tools.

I like the way the ERN razor looks and will hone it pretty soon. I like the shoulder-less style. I like the color of the scales. I've heard great things about how the ERN razors shave. This is my first ERN razor and I'm excited to have it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

ERN razors shave remarkably well. I love mine.

Great company, they produced a ton of really top of the line German razors! The Blue Diamonds were the top of their line, but these smaller names are numerous and similarly good shavers. Well done!

What I have noticed 9 times out of 10 a lot of the blue diamond razors usually end up with terrible cell rot. I bought the Creamer's Special figuring I would come close and not have to deal with the cell rot that the blue diamonds wind up with. BTW I did hone it up last night and will admit that it holds an edge thats superb. Caught just about every hair when I floated it on my arm. Cant wait to use that one in my rotation.

Larry

What I have noticed 9 times out of 10 a lot of the blue diamond razors usually end up with terrible cell rot. I bought the Creamer's Special figuring I would come close and not have to deal with the cell rot that the blue diamonds wind up with. BTW I did hone it up last night and will admit that it holds an edge thats superb. Caught just about every hair when I floated it on my arm. Cant wait to use that one in my rotation.

Larry
I have noticed several Blue Diamonds that have Cell Rot, though none of mine have started displaying any inklings of rot..... YET.... I think I'll gamble a little longer.

This popped up on the bay and couldn't resist.
Been hunting around for a razor from Scotland for ages, even better this is from Glasgow.
glasraz1.jpg

glasraz2.jpg

Hopefully with some TLC it will shave again.

Your the lucky person who bought it I was watching that razor but congrats :a14::a14::a14:
Thanks Ian. I was the only bidder, so it came cheap :001_smile
Once it arrives I'll decide whether to polish it up or leave it as is. By the looks of it, someone has already sanded it to remove rust.

Next new one bought last night but it was to late to post, William's Special Razor red handle with white stripes

View attachment 990476 View attachment 990477 View attachment 990478
Nice looking razor with unusual scales.

That should sand and polish up nice but im pleased it went to a member here, more so now I know you have it that's even better knowing you will show it some love and put back into being a great shaver.....

Even better being cheap.....

Top Bottom