What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Not at all Arne. I had some spare time this evening to counted them and I must say it's more than I thought.

First though, a little about my vision so I might not appear to be too much of a hoarder. When I start something, I usually dive in head first, not knowing how deep the water is or which way I'm going to swim, I learn as I go.

When I got involved with straight razors, I was surprised at how many different types and manufacturers there were and the time span that they were made. After my first find, I found another and another, they seemed to be everywhere and most of them less than a good cheeseburger.

Not knowing what to look for, I purchased a few that I shouldn't have but that's okay, I'll count it as a learning experience.

For me, buying a 100+ year old straight razor at a flea market is a lot different than going down to the local hardware store to buy a new screwdriver. The screwdriver will always be there, when they sell out, they'll restock with more. When the straight razor is gone, it's gone. I may never have the opportunity to buy another one just like it and until I know for sure what I want, that might have been the one I was looking for.

So, during my quest to find the perfect straight razors (for me), I will do as I did with my unwanted safety razors. I passed along over 100 DE, SE, and injectors to friends and family, then sold the rest. The way I see it, as long as I buy a razor in good condition at a good price, I'm basically just holding them for the next person.

Ok, after the final tally, I have acquired 135 straight razors since mid January and all of them from local flea markets and antique shops.

My only regret is that I'm not able to shave often enough to use all of my wonderful Double edge razors also. :001_302: :a17: :a29:

Oh no you aswell
I know the feeling very well I started mine 2 years ago but I was new to it all, so went in head first the last I was down to 175 razors from 246. but now I know what I want as a great man and a friend told me to slow down, but I was like yourself buy buy buy yes I have learned from my mistakes and I have bought junk but those razors I practice on for restoring, honing they get used or I give them away.

That's why I'm down to 175 a good few are in a restore box and the ones I have restored I use my turning point was when I bought my first custom Koraat so now if I fancy a razor it has to be in a condition that I can make into a beautiful razor again that people enjoy seeing it was the same with DE's, Brushes, Hones, to making strops, but all I can say is enjoy the ride and finding new hobby's along the way as I have. Including making new friends now that is priceless in its own rights....

AD904F01-E0AA-4F49-B669-F246B4A1EF4D.jpeg
C469C291-3075-4B93-892C-54BF27791A39.jpeg

Just received this wedge. Been wanting a wedge for a while and for the price I’m quite happy with it.

I went to the hone briefly to see how it would do. The one layer seems to be the trick. Just did a quick pass over the hone will spend more time with it tonight I think.

Have not bought a razor in over a Month .Could not let this one go .Hope I did not bid against a fellow member .

NOS Towa 8074 Straight Razor Extra Hollow Ground, Extra Tungsten Steel H. Diamond
TOWA.jpg

New Torrey!! I wanted a. Today’s a 5/8” since I’m not into smaller blades

843CC69F-A563-4DBE-8900-525E8C14F6F5.png
F252B540-8311-46CC-80C3-D5049F8AE58A.png
A307B8FA-51FD-4B25-8792-E36CB3580BD4.png
P

Attachments

• 0868A09D-B493-4DE8-B124-9922FC9CC7AB.png
    0868A09D-B493-4DE8-B124-9922FC9CC7AB.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
@Dryphter yes it was sir, I was very shocked when the very low offer I put on the table was accepted first try... I got very lucky and was very shocked it was even entertained .

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What are ‘blade snap holders’ for? I assume you are talking about the little bumps on the scales?

Yes.

Torrey.WithBladeHolderSnaps.5-31-19.640.JPG

When you close the razor it snaps into the blade holders (the little bumps). It takes a bit of effort to open the razor. I'm still figuring out the exactly best way to accomplish that task (not that it's hard to do).

I bought this razor because a member found the link for its auction on eBay and sent me the link. He also mentioned what a good shaver his was. Then there was the novelty of the blade snap holders! Plus, it's a Torrey.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes.

View attachment 986312

When you close the razor it snaps into the blade holders (the little bumps). It takes a bit of effort to open the razor. I'm still figuring out the exactly best way to accomplish that task (not that it's hard to do).

I bought this razor because a member found the link for its auction on eBay and sent me the link. He also mentioned what a good shaver his was. Then there was the novelty of the blade snap holders! Plus, it's a Torrey.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Ahhhhhh I get it. Holds the razor closed.

I've got 2 Torrey's and they are nice razors. The steel seems harder than most of my other razors. I'll eventually add 1 or 2 more with different stamps on the shaft.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ahhhhhh I get it. Holds the razor closed.

I've got 2 Torrey's and they are nice razors. The steel seems harder than most of my other razors. I'll eventually add 1 or 2 more with different stamps on the shaft.

I tend to agree. More so after today's honing.

I've read that Torrey steel is the hardest of the American steel in razors. I'm not saying that's correct, but I wouldn't argue the point. Especially not at the moment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom