What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

We drove back home today and my wife let me stop at a couple more shops. Here's what I found.

The first one is an Italian faux frameback (Caudano Torino).
20190501_141639.jpg

A 7/8 Joseph Elliott (For Barbers Use)
20190501_141733.jpg

And a Gilbert Brothers frameback.
20190501_141816.jpg

My wife had to go to a conference in Kansas City this week so I took a couple of days off and made a road trip out of it. On the way up here we stopped at a couple of antique shops and I found this one. I did a search but didn't come up with anything, not even where it was made. It seems to be very well made and in good condition. On the box, it says Silver Steel. Here's some pictures.
View attachment 977005
View attachment 977006
View attachment 977007
Beautiful!

My wife had to go to a conference in Kansas City this week so I took a couple of days off and made a road trip out of it. On the way up here we stopped at a couple of antique shops and I found this one. I did a search but didn't come up with anything, not even where it was made. It seems to be very well made and in good condition. On the box, it says Silver Steel. Here's some pictures.
View attachment 977005
View attachment 977006
View attachment 977007
My guess would be that you have a Japanese made razor made for the English speaking market. The kitschy brand name, lines of the razor, numbering on the tang, Superior Quality, and Silver Steel points me in that direction. As far as the maker or brand, I’ve never seen one before.

Well made can easily be applied to any Japanese Western razor in my opinion. Some more so than others and will cost a small fortune. Congratulations, enjoy!

I'm proud of myself, I was pretty conservative on this trip and didn't buy everything I saw. I probably left 8 or 10 razors behind for someone else to find.

There was one I left that I wish I could have brought home though. It was a Otto Deutsch that looked almost new. It had very nice translucent green celluloid scales with a lot of inlay and that's actually one of the reasons I didn't get it. My luck, as soon as I brought it home, the scales would go South and start rusting the blade. The other reason was the price, they wanted $75 for it and that's quite a bit out of my comfort zone. Maybe next time.

My guess would be that you have a Japanese made razor made for the English speaking market. The kitschy brand name, lines of the razor, numbering on the tang, Superior Quality, and Silver Steel points me in that direction. As far as the maker or brand, I’ve never seen one before.

Well made can easily be applied to any Japanese Western razor in my opinion. Some more so than others and will cost a small fortune. Congratulations, enjoy!

Thanks for the reply. One of my searches last night made me think it could be from Japan.

Normally I wouldn't buy a razor without having some information about it especially not knowing what country it was from. I went ahead and took a chance on it because it was in such good condition and it seemed to be very well made. Also I was out of town and I've kicked myself in the past for leaving something behind then finding out later what it was, especially when the price was as cheap as this one was.

I envy you guys on antique finds and restorations, where I seem to take easy way out, shiny and new.

I said my next acquisition would be Japanese blade, well, here's one one preceding my "next" (Japanese razor) acquisition. :D :D :D

IMG_20190502_162746~2.jpg

Thank you very much for sharing Mike:001_smile

I'd say that you've had the SRAD under very good control Boris. As far as I know all of your acquisitions have been extremely well thought through and nothing but first class razors. Me I have a "Box of Shame" where I keep the bad buys I've done over the years. Then again I've been pretty lucky too on quite a few occasions.

Even so these days more and more razor buyers make decisions that I can't understand. Today for instance I saw an auction where a vintage razor made by a descent French brand went for more than USD 100. There where no pictures showing the blade! just the razor folded into the scales. If I didn't have too look at myself in the mirror I could earn some money by selling the content of my "Box of Shame".

Well said Arne,

Cos I'm so new to this I'm too ignorant to know what's a good buy or not so, my treasures could be pure junk for all I know but, as they say... Ignorance is bliss lol.

Mawashi

Well said Arne,

Cos I'm so new to this I'm too ignorant to know what's a good buy or not so, my treasures could be pure junk for all I know but, as they say... Ignorance is bliss lol.

Mawashi
You'll be fine. Just study the pictures carefully, and notice the pictures that aren't there that should be. Keep in mind that rusty razors already may have been restored and what remains is really deep rust. Look not only at the edge, but also at the spine for signs of heavy hone wear. After a couple of years it gets to be second nature to do so.

Thanks Arne for the reassurance!

My latest acquisitions. My very first ERN yeah! and the oldest razor in my humble collection, a Josh Mappin & Brothers, Queens Cutlery, 13/16.

IMG_20190505_105816.jpg
IMG_20190505_104632.jpg
IMG_20190505_104754.jpg
IMG_20190505_104824.jpg
IMG_20190505_104713.jpg
Josh Mappin & Bros Lancet 0000.jpg

Both razors seem to have the original cases.

The ERN 1166 13/16 is as dull as a butter knife but the plastic scales are in excellent condition and the blade just needs a little tlc to make it shine and slice.

The lancet ground Mappin is the unpolished diamond, some pitting had been polished out and the grind is uneven along the spline as evident from the last picture but, the blade is perfectly flat.

Although, the bump head tip isn't quite as large as I would like, I am still in a bit of disbelief to be holding something that's close to 200 years old and survived 2 world wars.

Top Bottom