What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
1. Wade & Butcher 'Special' - 13/16" shoulderless, full hollow, jimps top and bottom, thumb notch, long tail and a round point to boot.... just what I had been looking for. I do wonder what kind of life W.H. Pobjoy of 7 Walton Road, Liverpool led when he was using this beautiful razor way back in the day.

2. Spencer & Sons - 3/4" wedge with a beautiful finish (excuse my fingerprints on the flats of the spine).

View attachment 789813 View attachment 789814 View attachment 789815 View attachment 789816 View attachment 789817 1. Wade & Butcher 'Special' - 13/16" shoulderless, full hollow, jimps top and bottom, thumb notch, long tail and a round point to boot.... just what I had been looking for. I do wonder what kind of life W.H. Pobjoy of 7 Walton Road, Liverpool led when he was using this beautiful razor way back in the day.

2. Spencer & Sons - 3/4" wedge with a beautiful finish (excuse my fingerprints on the flats of the spine).

Nice snags!!

Just got a great opportunity to test out a handful of Jacob Ray custom and semi custom razors. Looking forward to seeing how they shave! Please excuse the large number of photos!

First up a 6/8 Shorty with Barbers Notch:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Two Semi-Custom 6/8 Spanish Points, they make an awesome similar but different pair:
proxy.php

proxy.php

And Finally an 8/8 Full Custom he had done a little while back:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Again, I feel beyond lucky to have the chance to have these razors and give them a shot, if I like them I might just order my own bespoke razor through him!!

Got this little lot at a local car-boot sale. If only vintage Gillette were this easy to find....

Attachments

• P1030334.JPG
    P1030334.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 24
  • P1030335.JPG
    P1030335.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 24
And here I thought I was done buying hardware... Spotted this CVH MK31 for $35 and my PayPal info was entered at light speed. She's not real pretty but from the poor pictures it looks to be in decent shape and should be a great shaver with a little TLC. Third piece of Swedish steel to add to the drawer!
proxy.php

proxy.php

IMG_2795.JPG IMG_2796.JPG
Just picked these two up...

A C-MON wedge and an older wostenholm pipe. Minimal cleaning on both and in excellent condition.

Now just need to find someone to tighten them up in the scales and give em a good hone:)

Where r you located? Anyone local to you?

Pittsburgh, PA - home of the (hopefully) going to the 2nd Stanley Cup Finals in a row Pens:)

Unfortunately I have never been able to find someone local. Closest I came was a bladesmith who had a wealth of experience with knives and swords but very little with straights.

These are my first time Straight Razor acquisitions. Any advice/info would be appreciated. For example, are they worthy of getting honed, so I can attempt using them? Thanks.

dubl duck special no 1/Bresduck Solingen-Germany
SSA Eskiltuna-Sweden
Tuscora/The Baltzy Co. Massillon O. M.I. Germany
Red-Point Made in Germany 917?/Anton Wingen Jr. Solingen-Germany
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG