What's new

Straight or DE

I been wet shaving for a couple of months now and I am armed with both a Merkur DE and Dovo Straight. I don't have any trouble with the DE but the straight blade is giving me a fit! No matter what I try I alway end up cleaning up with the DE. It just shaves closer quicker and it doesn't scare me like the straight does. One wrong move with the blade and I could lose a large chunk of facial flesh. :eek: Well I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but if I had to choose between the two I would have to pick the DE.

If you had to choose, what would it be. Straight or DE?

Regards,
Ron Strawsburg

Hi Ron,

Str8's are a labor of love. DE's are more utilitarian, and generally will get you much closer unless you are a very experienced str8 shaver. You need to decide whether you are willing to put in the time to become a str8 expert. I'm not.

Scotto said:
Hi Ron,

Str8's are a labor of love. DE's are more utilitarian, and generally will get you much closer unless you are a very experienced str8 shaver. You need to decide whether you are willing to put in the time to become a str8 expert. I'm not.

I'm sporting a 3" line on my cheek today due too str8 practice. I don't recall cutting myself. I finally got the razor sharp enough to shave with and now it is deadly. Not for a man in a hurry to get out the door and on the road to work or the grand-dad with a toddler pulling at his leg.
:smile:

Straight for me. I can get a close shave with a DE or with an injector, but for some reason I get more irritated with anything other than a str8. I really enjoy all aspects of the str8s anyway, and yes it does take some commitment, but I love it. I can get closer with a str8 and no irritation, or very very little occasionally. Shave seems to last longer too. If I am in a big hurry and HAVE to shave, I'll reach for one of the others, but after doing it for quite some time, I can shave with a str8 in about 10 minutes. 15 minutes for a "date" shave, and that includes stropping, beard prep, lather building, and cleanup. The maintenance isn't that bad, the only real effort is getting them shave ready in the first place. THAT is a labor of love, as it is definitely a skill learned through practice and practice and practice. As far as shaving with them, same story. Practice makes perfect. I had a Merkur slant bar for about a week, and that thing scared the sh*t out of me. I'm MUCH more relaxed with a str8 in my hand. Of course, the POTENTIAL danger with a str8 is greater, but the incedental damage (burn, irritation) is greater, for me at least, with a DE.

Jeff

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If someone were to point a gun to my head and ask me to choose between the two, I'd have to say "both".

I can't picture shaving without either of these two devices. As already noted, the straight is a labor of love- if you have to think about whether or not you want one, the answer is no. If you're willing to put in the required time and effort, certainly give it a try.

threeputt said:
Straight for me. I can get a close shave with a DE or with an injector, but for some reason I get more irritated with anything other than a str8. I really enjoy all aspects of the str8s anyway, and yes it does take some commitment, but I love it. I can get closer with a str8 and no irritation, or very very little occasionally. Shave seems to last longer too. If I am in a big hurry and HAVE to shave, I'll reach for one of the others, but after doing it for quite some time, I can shave with a str8 in about 10 minutes. 15 minutes for a "date" shave, and that includes stropping, bear prep, lather building, and cleanup. The maintenance isn't that bad, the only real effort is getting them shave ready in the first place. THAT is a labor of love, as it is definitely a skill learned through practice and practice and practice. As far as shaving with them, same story. Practice makes perfect. I had a Merkur slant bar for about a week, and that thing scared the sh*t out of me. I'm MUCH more relaxed with a str8 in my hand. Of course, the POTENTIAL danger with a str8 is greater, but the incedental damage (burn, irritation) is greater, for me at least, with a DE.

Jeff

Yikes, that is part of the shaving regimen I haven't heard of yet!

I'm like threeputt on this...

I can get an irritation & nick free shave from my straights, and tear myself up with the one single-blade razor that I do have (my Grandfather's Gem Micromatic). I like having the increased feedback received from using the straight too -- much easier for me to assess how the shave is going.

Scotto said:
But can you shave a bear? :eek:

I've had days when I could "bearly" shave!

Ron,

I use both. I like the variety! When I first started using a straight, I only used it on weekends or on days when I had plenty of time to shave. Patience is not just a virtue, it's a way of "saving face"!

Use both, but take your time.

Randy

Straights are kinda like fancy desserts to me. I won't make them at home, but I'll buy them sometimes when I'm out. For now I leave them to the barber and the DE is my main face shredder of choice. Which DE is another question...

I would like to learn the art of a str8 razor shave one day, the tools are at hand when I get the time. Time constraints have made the DE the more practical choice at this point (good luck getting bathroom time in the morning for a str8 shave if theres a woman in the house) The DEs do give a great shave.

Dave_D said:
I would like to learn the art of a str8 razor shave one day, the tools are at hand when I get the time. Time constraints have made the DE the more practical choice at this point (good luck getting bathroom time in the morning for a str8 shave if theres a woman in the house) The DEs do give a great shave.

Dave,

I don't know the type of beard you have, but I am lucky. My beard is not heavy, and is light in color. I started shaving at night just to get more straight razor time.

Randy

I'm with Ouch....both. But if I were a Newb starting out? DEs first...more forgiving and you can still look decent even on a bad shave day.

Hi Ron,

Very well put. I personally am more of a utilitarian when it comes to shaving, so I will probably never try a straight razor.

Top Bottom