What's new

Straight newbie questions.

What would be the top 3 SR you all would recommend to a newbie for a first razor?
One that has been honed by someone who really knows what they are doing. And a spare or two, so you have something to shave with when one needs a re-honing.

I know that sounds glib, and it is, but a great edge is the key thing when you're learning the art.

You have to learn the art, and learn your preferences, and then narrow the search a bit. Best to learn those preferences first. For example, a lot of people love the Fili 14, but it's a 6/8, and I prefer narrower razors, so it's not for me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What would be the top 3 SR you all would recommend to a newbie for a first razor?
I will assume that you are looking at new SR's only. First you decide your budget, from about USD 10 to hundreds. For tens of dollars you should be looking at some of the Gold Dollar SR's like their 208 or P81 (a.k.a. 1996), the Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 or the Comoy's of London SR's. With a higher budget, the world is your oyster.

I have no recommendations for a n00bie SR. With a properly honed edge, they are all good, except for razor shaped objects (RSO) and most made in Pakistan.

What you should be looking for is:
  • Carbon steel, not stainless steel as that can be more difficult to hone later on.
  • Dutch (round) point.
  • 5/8 to 6/8 blade width.
  • Half to full hollow grind.
  • Balance point near the pivot pin when opened 180°.
  • Bevel angle of about 17° ±1°.
An important consideration is that your first SR (new or used) should not be used until it is truly shave-ready. It would an exception for a new SR under about USD 200 to be truly shave-ready. Even those over USD 200 my not be truly shave-ready, so expect to have to send your first new SR out to be professionally honed for about USD 30 plus shipping. Enquire on B&B as to the reputation of your preferred honemeister before you commit to him/her.

Once you decide on your first SR, new or used and before you commit to it, post on B&B to get the opinion of the experienced members here. Be sure to state that it will be your first SR.

If/once you are serious about continuing with SR shaving, get yourself a second cheap SR to learn how to hone in. Do not try to learn honing with your first SR. It can be done (I had to) but it makes it much more difficult to learn SR shaving.

Last edited:
Explain, please.

(I'm a fan of the sharpie, and familiar with creating a microbevel, but the way you've worded this makes me think you have something else in mind).
Hollow ground is a different way of acomplishing the same thing. You thin the blade down with that nice curved sides on the blade, and then you apply a higher angle to make a stronger working edge. The result is the same.

Top Bottom