What's new

Straight newbie questions.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Wilkinsmooth, forget the shavette as a first SR. They can be harder to lean to use. Get the Thiers Issard that you are looking at. You will find out if it is shave-ready when you first shave with it.

Ask the vendor if you will need to strop the SR before you first shave with it. If the vendor says yes, it most probably will not be shave ready and you will need to send it out for professional honing. This should cost you about £20.

Get yourself a hanging strop. Remember that you most probably will cut up your first strop learning how to properly use it so don't over spend. Strop width is a personal preference. My preference is for a 2½" (65mm) wide strop. Others prefer 3" (75mm) or 2" (50mm).

I think it’s a very reasonable first straight razor. If you buy it then you must have a cheap strop. You might find it easier to learn to strop on a 3 inch wide strop so poised to a 2.5 inch one. With 3 inch it’s just back and forth without having to learn to do x strokes. Lots of YouTube videos on how to strop.
@Wilkinsmooth, forget the shavette as a first SR. They can be harder to lean to use. Get the Thiers Issard that you are looking at. You will find out if it is shave-ready when you first shave with it.

Ask the vendor if you will need to strop the SR before you first shave with it. If the vendor says yes, it most probably will not be shave ready and you will need to send it out for professional honing. This should cost you about £20.

Get yourself a hanging strop. Remember that you most probably will cut up your first strop learning how to properly use it so don't over spend. Strop width is a personal preference. My preference is for a 2½" (65mm) wide strop. Others prefer 3" (75mm) or 2" (50mm).
The sellers feedback is full of excellent reviews for shave ready razors, so I pulled the trigger. I knew the thinking time I bought myself with the shavette would be handy.

I’ll get a few pictures up when it arrives.

I was leaning towards a paddle strop but I’m interested in opinions of the pros and cons.

The sellers feedback is full of excellent reviews for shave ready razors, so I pulled the trigger. I knew the thinking time I bought myself with the shavette would be handy.

I was leaning towards a paddle strop but I’m interested in opinions of the pros and cons.
The biggest pro of a paddle strop is you know it will be flat whilst you’re stropping on it. Personally I prefer a hanging strop. Each to their own.
Just be mindful that with all this new stuff coming your way, it’s a long way down this rabbit hole!! Happy landings!
Whatever you strop on, it’s imperative you keep both the razor edge and spine on the strop.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

Looking forward to the pics when you get it.

Paddle strops are normally much shorter than hanging strop so they require 2 to 4 times as many laps the achieve the same effect. Depending on the design of the paddle strop, it may be not as "soft" on the blade as a hanging strop.

For hundreds of years men have had a strong preference for hanging strops over paddle strops. There must be a reason. I am not (yet) hundreds of years old so don't know the reason.

Welcome to the forum, nice to see fellow Brits.

Hanging strop is the way to go. Windrose XL strops on ebay is a good value for money starter strop.
Windrose Extra Wide Leather Strop Straight Razor Sharpening Strop | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262325684573?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d13d4495d:g:MrAAAOSwPa9eEm0D&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsStdebXPz4ZTXCT8FI9kPBh8L4DLpbvOuoGbgsNDwjdZyGl4T6KaAmA7JcT92yuawhipqHnTdlp8HNZ%252BJXojPqk3%252B9UyIBRskAIIYgG0PjImx%252FFA8uOJ0k4o91ekxUJpD4vf%252BKdiJMHzFgJUfoAgHekAibM%252BAiDuFEIujFhzlKuZVYsgGlffdjXi05cz7%252BbhbQ22yG7NU4bHZtNohtiT0WghdDVnUrSYyPNduo49DDwRryPpcbOUGzWZigyCFoaL3q9tA7WgGhKeoQBIgIvYGxaU1s%252FOdgfO5GYv5437wRmBp%252B%252FaXjvgS%252FyrBlLJiLGEi6Q74IEQ05GrMtk9CHkfgFCeQXLT82oFNfw7b%252BKu6qVkhdC5hWhI439Uu9YsUgE8Fd74qUNO0ZDd1DAPg3nRanSXNb58JEVaVbc45z4CDALRDX1lQMO9Lc45Z2rJHnS%252BMbI0dZvovLHGSWOk07dtdaU%252FMwjkIDDtNJDDZBSgGNkxJhonlJWFvGOZHn364xyjaaBjDoWqrYTCpfL7ygo713380qQloMLEu%252F2aleM2Oc27hOUbfJzbhzJjA8RyDs2NodbIiOYohNdA7IYL3DRVV6e9ledCxWusTe3v8cdwWHKfBEqcbZmj4QBOHXb1TFrrAscyoLWlXh%252FVoCEsF%252BHiDZ4dsVYlxBpW34PKYHSQPPXFCVspEqUgt8ec2P%252BMVXfDNN8AMz24cRwBEpaOvVPJxBnIhARvGF5d0gzb%252FQ7Eno12gEWKXRnl3PdfW%252BD1BI2kYHKoXlW8jMZty2NNuxa8Itknyjiw%252BVFsSAkcGqL8B09I6EkM%252B%252BCFMI9nFK61rCHKUHvVzMe8B7AIF%252FBIQhdH29qQ%253D%253D%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBMiojEiN5f

I am in Scotland. I Like honing so if you ever need a razor to be honed, it's going to cost you postage to Scotland and back. No charge for the honing.

Can I have your opinion on this Issard vintage razor please? While looking at eBay I added it to my watchlist and the seller has offered it cheaper at £65.

directions to the closest

Any comments and advice is appreciated.
If that's from the same seller I got mine from it will be as he described. It very well maybe because he has a couple of ti's up . He said the one I was looking at was like new and it was.

received_3013965048932194.jpeg
that's the one I got from him.

Welcome to the forum, nice to see fellow Brits.

Hanging strop is the way to go. Windrose XL strops on ebay is a good value for money starter strop.
Windrose Extra Wide Leather Strop Straight Razor Sharpening Strop | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262325684573?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d13d4495d:g:MrAAAOSwPa9eEm0D&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsStdebXPz4ZTXCT8FI9kPBh8L4DLpbvOuoGbgsNDwjdZyGl4T6KaAmA7JcT92yuawhipqHnTdlp8HNZ%252BJXojPqk3%252B9UyIBRskAIIYgG0PjImx%252FFA8uOJ0k4o91ekxUJpD4vf%252BKdiJMHzFgJUfoAgHekAibM%252BAiDuFEIujFhzlKuZVYsgGlffdjXi05cz7%252BbhbQ22yG7NU4bHZtNohtiT0WghdDVnUrSYyPNduo49DDwRryPpcbOUGzWZigyCFoaL3q9tA7WgGhKeoQBIgIvYGxaU1s%252FOdgfO5GYv5437wRmBp%252B%252FaXjvgS%252FyrBlLJiLGEi6Q74IEQ05GrMtk9CHkfgFCeQXLT82oFNfw7b%252BKu6qVkhdC5hWhI439Uu9YsUgE8Fd74qUNO0ZDd1DAPg3nRanSXNb58JEVaVbc45z4CDALRDX1lQMO9Lc45Z2rJHnS%252BMbI0dZvovLHGSWOk07dtdaU%252FMwjkIDDtNJDDZBSgGNkxJhonlJWFvGOZHn364xyjaaBjDoWqrYTCpfL7ygo713380qQloMLEu%252F2aleM2Oc27hOUbfJzbhzJjA8RyDs2NodbIiOYohNdA7IYL3DRVV6e9ledCxWusTe3v8cdwWHKfBEqcbZmj4QBOHXb1TFrrAscyoLWlXh%252FVoCEsF%252BHiDZ4dsVYlxBpW34PKYHSQPPXFCVspEqUgt8ec2P%252BMVXfDNN8AMz24cRwBEpaOvVPJxBnIhARvGF5d0gzb%252FQ7Eno12gEWKXRnl3PdfW%252BD1BI2kYHKoXlW8jMZty2NNuxa8Itknyjiw%252BVFsSAkcGqL8B09I6EkM%252B%252BCFMI9nFK61rCHKUHvVzMe8B7AIF%252FBIQhdH29qQ%253D%253D%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBMiojEiN5f

I am in Scotland. I Like honing so if you ever need a razor to be honed, it's going to cost you postage to Scotland and back. No charge for the honing.
Are both sides of that different? I see some with a linen/canvas side. Would the Windrose one do the same thing as one with 2 different materials?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Are both sides of that different? I see some with a linen/canvas side. Would the Windrose one do the same thing as one with 2 different materials?
Windrose also have a cotton 3" strop, so you can get both. Initially the cotton strop can be used to clean the blade's bevel after each use.

Whatever you do, never put paste on the leather strop and only put paste on a cloth strop once you fully understand the reasons and consequences of doing so.

Windrose also have a cotton 3" strop, so you can get both. Initially the cotton strop can be used to clean the blade's bevel after each use.

Whatever you do, never put paste on the leather strop and only put paste on a cloth strop once you fully understand the reasons and consequences of doing so.
Thanks. I have my eye on this one which is 3” wide and would save buying 2 separate strops, but I’m unsure about quality. It has the D ring handle which I think I’d prefer too.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks. I have my eye on this one which is 3” wide and would save buying 2 separate strops, but I’m unsure about quality. It has the D ring handle which I think I’d prefer too.
My preference is for a 2½" strops but that's a personal thing. I also prefer D-ring handles. My reason for the 2½" preference is based on my belief that 3" is more susceptible to cupping while the 2" requires greater concentration in stropping with long X strokes. 2½" is just the middle ground.

The leather "quality" has almost no bearing on the stropping effect. It mainly affects the "feel" while stropping. That "feel" is again just a personal thing.

My preference is for a 2½" strops but that's a personal thing. I also prefer D-ring handles. My reason for the 2½" preference is based on my belief that 3" is more susceptible to cupping while the 2" requires greater concentration in stropping with long X strokes. 2½" is just the middle ground.

The leather "quality" has almost no bearing on the stropping effect. It mainly affects the "feel" while stropping. That "feel" is again just a personal thing.
Ah, this is the first I’ve heard of the cupping effect, but it makes complete sense. Something to bear in mind and a reason to use the X motion regardless.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Until I settle down into more permanent diggs, I am using one of these strops:

I use to recommend them as a beginner's strop but lately they have reduced the leather thickness from about almost 2mm to under 1mm. I feel that the reduced leather thickness is not conducive to beginner stropping.

@Tony Miller of Heirloom Razor Strops makes and sells very good strops at a reasonable price, only he is based in the US so shipping can become expensive. Tony is also quite happy to answer strop questions, even if you are not buying from him. He is a good man.

Last edited:
I have never used cotton or canvas strops. Some feel it makes a difference, I can see no gain in it. I clean my razors with toilet paper after shaving.

I recommended the Windrose strop, because it is so wide and the quality of the leather is good enough to last a long time. Much easier to use a wider strop in the beginning. The similar Dovo XL strop will cost you around £100. I got a lot of use from mine. Mine did start to cup, but by that time it was nicked many times and it was time to replace it anyway.

First strops in most cases get damaged when you learn and it is not worth spending too much on a first strop.

I have never used cotton or canvas strops. Some feel it makes a difference, I can see no gain in it. I clean my razors with toilet paper after shaving.

I recommended the Windrose strop, because it is so wide and the quality of the leather is good enough to last a long time. Much easier to use a wider strop in the beginning. The similar Dovo XL strop will cost you around £100. I got a lot of use from mine. Mine did start to cup, but by that time it was nicked many times and it was time to replace it anyway.

First strops in most cases get damaged when you learn and it is not worth spending too much on a first strop.
Purchased. Thank you for the advice. The razor should be here on Thursday.

Do you refurbish razors? There’s a set of 4 on eBay I thought would make a good project for somebody.

Purchased. Thank you for the advice. The razor should be here on Thursday.

Do you refurbish razors? There’s a set of 4 on eBay I thought would make a good project for somebody.
No I will not take on refurbishment jobs. I do some refurbishment on razors I buy, but my equipment and experience is not good enough to really do them justice.

I usually keep to a light polishing, rust removal, unpinning, pinning and I will make some scales when I need to.

I most cases I don't mind a razor showing it's age and I am satisfied as long as it doesn't have any active rust. The edge is a different matter, I am not satisfied with anything less than a laser sharp Method edge.

See how you get on with the razor, and if the bug bites you, we will start introducing you to "The Method". In simple terms it is a fool-proof way of finishing razors on diamond pasted balsa that guarantees an edge that is sharper than any professional honed edge I have ever come across.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thank you for the replies. I’ll forget about honing for now.

I’m based in the UK, my budget would be around £150 or so to get started. While I was looking for local places to have a straight razor sharpened if required, I found this site.

The razors look good but I’m not sure if they’re overpriced or if it’s a good deal. What I do like is that they would be truly shave ready. I have soap and brush, scuttle etc, so I think I’d be looking at a basic razor and strop kit.

What’s the difference between a strap and paddle? Is one easier to use for beginners?

Is there a difference between a flat blade and a hollow blade or is that just preference? Must admit I do like the look of the curved blades.
Absolutely go with hollow grind blade.

Thank you for the replies. I’ll forget about honing for now.

I’m based in the UK, my budget would be around £150 or so to get started. While I was looking for local places to have a straight razor sharpened if required, I found this site.

The razors look good but I’m not sure if they’re overpriced or if it’s a good deal. What I do like is that they would be truly shave ready. I have soap and brush, scuttle etc, so I think I’d be looking at a basic razor and strop kit.

What’s the difference between a strap and paddle? Is one easier to use for beginners?

Is there a difference between a flat blade and a hollow blade or is that just preference? Must admit I do like the look of the curved blades.
Years ago when my uncle died, I found a bunch of straight razors, including a brass back which puts it about 1850. My nephew was into straight razor shaving, so I sent the lot out for sharpening. He told me that they all did well, and it didn't cost much.
If you're going to learn to sharpen the blades, and you haven't done it before, you need a magic marker.
Serious here. you rub the marker along the sharpened bevel, then you start sharpening. You get instant feedback on your angle vs the actual angle on the blade.
Hollow ground is a way to use a lower degree angle to get the edge tight, and then put a higher degree angle on the working edge, increasing durability.

Years ago when my uncle died, I found a bunch of straight razors, including a brass back which puts it about 1850. My nephew was into straight razor shaving, so I sent the lot out for sharpening. He told me that they all did well, and it didn't cost much.
If you're going to learn to sharpen the blades, and you haven't done it before, you need a magic marker.
Serious here. you rub the marker along the sharpened bevel, then you start sharpening. You get instant feedback on your angle vs the actual angle on the blade.
Hollow ground is a way to use a lower degree angle to get the edge tight, and then put a higher degree angle on the working edge, increasing durability.
Explain, please.

(I'm a fan of the sharpie, and familiar with creating a microbevel, but the way you've worded this makes me think you have something else in mind).

Top Bottom