What's new

straight newb

So I have a vintage straight coming form e-bay and it's probably not honed. I don't have a strop or a waterstone but I know I need to get both. The stickied guide on this forum was a little overwhelming for me (information overload), so I would really really appreciate it if you guys could tell me what a good starter strop/hone would be (saw something about the well shaved gentleman but he doesn't have any 30$ strops available right now).

Also, I want to hone it myself and I'm willing to accept the risk of demise to this razor. Any honing tips for a noob like myself?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: decided to go ahead and buy this http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522944/6982506.htm

Last edited:
4k/8k, pasted paddle. Looks good to me!

The only caveat is if you want to use both sides of that pasted paddle for paste, you still need an unpasted strop for daily use. You can get a Filly from Ken Rup for 20 bucks, hopefully that doesn't put you over budget...

Also, depending on how special the ebay special is, you may need help setting a bevel. I've got a couple of project blades right now (ah the joy of lots :biggrin:), and some came in good enough shape that they could be started on 4k, others came in decidedly dull fashion and would probably benefit from a 1k step.

As for honing tips- from one newbie to another, go for an X pattern. I know a lot of people don't bother, but there will come a time when you need to do it, and it's better to be ready for it in full force than to learn it on a blade that is harder to hone to begin with IMO.

Haha I have to say most of that was over my head. I found a shop nearby that sells some razors and strops so I'll probably pick one up for daily use tomorrow. as far as the rest I have NO idea what you're talking about. I'm hella clueless when it comes to all this, gotta spell it out to me real slow.

Haha I have to say most of that was over my head. I found a shop nearby that sells some razors and strops so I'll probably pick one up for daily use tomorrow. as far as the rest I have NO idea what you're talking about. I'm hella clueless when it comes to all this, gotta spell it out to me real slow.

Read the stickies about the basics. They will cover everything you need to know. The smart thing though is to get a starter strop and send the razor out to someone with honing experience. A list of honemeisters is here on the forums. I would dig them up, but it is not so easy from the bar and my phone as on a real computer.

ok, here's the quick rundown
- forget that local shop, buy another razor that is made shave-ready by somebody with enough experience. plenty of good online vendors if you want new razor.
- buy a good hanging strop - 30-ish seems certainly reasonable. if in doubt whether it's 'good' ask somebody with experience before you do.
- when you receive your ebay razor post pictures so that the members with more experience can assess the condition and recommend you what to do.

Top Bottom