What's new

Straight Jojoba Oil, best preshave I have ever used!

There is a great debate about weather pre shave products are even needed. Of course YMMV. We all have different skin, beard types, level of skill,etc. I have tried to not use any pre shaves with many types of soaps. But my skin is very sensitive and I have a tough beard. I have had problems with oils making my razor skip. Now matter how little or how much oil I use. It always feels sticky. I tried Noxzema. It works good. But the scent does not go well with some of my soaps. Plus it burns my skin a bit. I tried Proraso Red pre shave cream. Horrible! Face was dry and sticky before using shave soap. My Razor dragged and skipped. To bad cause I loved the scent! Corn huskers lotion worked really good. But I felt that I still needed more protection. I tried making my own pre shaves. Olive, grapeseed, castor, and jojoba oils in different mixes. As well as by themselves. But when I tried Jojoba Oil by itself, I was blown away! Razor cuts like it is going through butter. No skipping at all. Does not mess with my lather. I used more than other oils because it is thinner and absorbs into the skin more than other oils. I use about 6 drops on a wet face. Then I splash more water on my face and rub in in some more. I also use it at night before bed. I mix a few drops in my hand with a pea sized amount of corn huskers lotion. I bought the Jojoba oil at Hobby Lobby. $9.99 for a 4oz bottle. Anyhow, if you like pre shave products; you should try this. You can even add a few drops of essential oil of your choice if you like. Also, if you read up on Jojoba oil you will find that it has many benefits for your skin. One final thought. I may have just found a soap that is so awesome that I may not need any pre shave at all. Last night I tried TOBS Sandalwood cream for the first time. I think I am in love! I will post a review of the soap and shave brush gift set that I got soon.

jojoba is a great skin conditioner. If my skin is really dry I will use one drop as a preshave and add lots of water.

I swear I was just going to ask this very question .

I bought a bottle of jojoba oil from trader Joe's and have only used it once .

Is there a secret to ratio, water to oil mix ?

What about using the oil and Then adding a layer of aloe Vera?

I have very sensitive skin and I'm prone to folliculitis and ingrown hairs getting infected I have a very tough beard more like Kevlar then facial hair.

It's ironic , I'm Armenian by birth dark skin , and extremely tough facial hair, but my skin is so sensitive I can only shave every 3-4 days . I'm not kidding several years ago I had to get rushed to the emergency room because I shaved against the grain and my entire face broke out with folliculitis bad enough that I had to get emergency antibiotic treatments as well as special prescription ointments .

Jojoba is a great conditioner and even is good for your hair/scalp. A little goes a long way.

As a preshave, I'd be somewhat concerned about the oil getting in my higher-end badger brushes and not easily rinsing out.

I swear I was just going to ask this very question .

I bought a bottle of jojoba oil from trader Joe's and have only used it once .

Is there a secret to ratio, water to oil mix ?

What about using the oil and Then adding a layer of aloe Vera?

I have very sensitive skin and I'm prone to folliculitis and ingrown hairs getting infected I have a very tough beard more like Kevlar then facial hair.

It's ironic , I'm Armenian by birth dark skin , and extremely tough facial hair, but my skin is so sensitive I can only shave every 3-4 days . I'm not kidding several years ago I had to get rushed to the emergency room because I shaved against the grain and my entire face broke out with folliculitis bad enough that I had to get emergency antibiotic treatments as well as special prescription ointments .
I also have very sensitive skin with a tough beard. I don't mix the water and oil in the bottle. I take a warm shower first. Not scalding hot. After I am done rinsing off I apply the oil in the shower. I leave my face wet and hands wet. I use about 4-6 drops in my hand. Some may want to only use 3 drops if they have a problem with it clogging their razor. I don't have this problem. Then I rib my hands together. Rub my face and neck. Splash more water on my face and rub again. Wash of the oil from my hands with soap. Then I let the water run on my face for a few seconds. When I get out of the shower I leave my face wet. Then lather as usual. I reapply between passes. Do not shave against the grain. You can use aloe vera gel over the oil. But store bought aloe has stuff in it that burns my face. I find that corn huskers lotion works great and helps your lather. You can use it over the oil. I don't use it anymore because I found out that I don't need it. I hope that this is helpful to you sir. I will post a post about what techniques and products I us in the general shave section. But of course YMMV. Also if you use the hot towel method instead of showering first, make sure to wet your face first before using the oil.

Jojoba is a great conditioner and even is good for your hair/scalp. A little goes a long way.

As a preshave, I'd be somewhat concerned about the oil getting in my higher-end badger brushes and not easily rinsing out.
I don't have a problem with my badger brushes. The shaving soap seems to rinse out any oil. But once a month I use shampoo on my brushes. I know that after I have done the last pass and rinsed my face that there is not any oily residue on my face. Keep in mind that badger hair is somewhat oily on the badgers in the wild. Jojoba oil is said to be somewhat like your natural skin oils. IMHO, I don't understand why so many say that pre shave oil will ruin your brushes. But like I said, I like straight Jojoba oil because it is thinner and not sticky compared to other oils I have tried like olive,castor,grapeseed, and many pre shave oils that you can buy. Jojoba is the only oil that does not cause my razor to drag and skip. But if you are really concerned about your higher end brushes, than maybe you could try it with a cheaper brush. Just a thought. Anyhow have a great day!

I don't have a problem with my badger brushes. The shaving soap seems to rinse out any oil. But once a month I use shampoo on my brushes. I know that after I have done the last pass and rinsed my face that there is not any oily residue on my face. Keep in mind that badger hair is somewhat oily on the badgers in the wild. Jojoba oil is said to be somewhat like your natural skin oils. IMHO, I don't understand why so many say that pre shave oil will ruin your brushes. But like I said, I like straight Jojoba oil because it is thinner and not sticky compared to other oils I have tried like olive,castor,grapeseed, and many pre shave oils that you can buy. Jojoba is the only oil that does not cause my razor to drag and skip. But if you are really concerned about your higher end brushes, than maybe you could try it with a cheaper brush. Just a thought. Anyhow have a great day!

Fair point. After lathering a few times it probably gets most of the oil out. I also shampoo my badger brushes after a handful of uses too.

Top Bottom