What's new

Straight edge suggestions

When you use naguras, the areas you generate slurry can develop low spots if you are not working it evenly over the stone.
Just try to rub a nagura in one spot in the middle. Then apply a pencil grid and just do a couple of strokes under running water with your lapping plate.
You will see that this can have a significant effect, especially on softer stones.
None of my razors are within the tolerances of my atoma plate. So to me it makes more sense to shift the pressure on the razor to make good consistent contact.
When you are honing a twisted blade like this, the atomic level flattening does not matter that much.

View attachment 1591697
That is something I found out recently how quickly naguras can generate low spots. I use to only use tomo nagura and occasionally a diamond plate so I don't think it was ever that much of a problem. However since getting my asano set I have noticed the edges are not as great if I do a few progressions without lapping it a bit. My other naturals include a 5x2 coticule and a translucent ark. Not actually sure how flat my coticule is but I only do water laps on it.

I do usually perform at least a slight roll on all of my razors. I use to have a thin coticule for those warped blades.

A side though - I have an 8x2 translucent ark I don't use that often. Maybe I should work on getting it dead flat and using it as a straight edge ha.

Reactions: JPO
That is something I found out recently how quickly naguras can generate low spots. I use to only use tomo nagura and occasionally a diamond plate so I don't think it was ever that much of a problem. However since getting my asano set I have noticed the edges are not as great if I do a few progressions without lapping it a bit. My other naturals include a 5x2 coticule and a translucent ark. Not actually sure how flat my coticule is but I only do water laps on it.

I do usually perform at least a slight roll on all of my razors. I use to have a thin coticule for those warped blades.

A side though - I have an 8x2 translucent ark I don't use that often. Maybe I should work on getting it dead flat and using it as a straight edge ha.
I am not against using a straight edge. When I get a new stone I use multiple grid line sessions, and check against a straight edge. In my case this is a Lindefjell vinkel. However, after that is done I only use my atoma. As an old carpenter I calibrated spirit level and angle was a important tool.
If I do a full nagura progression I aim for a slight high spot on the stone by keeping a little clear of the middle with my naguras. For some reason the stones seem to wear more in the middle.
I do not use synthetic stones that seem to change shape over night though. So this might be more relevant for natural stones.
If you turn your back on a Naniwa Ss it turns into a banana:)

Top Bottom