What's new

Straight edge problem?

For Christmas my wife bought me a dovo solingen straight razor. I can shave with a shavette no problem, but this razor hurts it pulls and tugs and is just unpleasant. Ive got a strop but it make no difference. I have a two part question #1 do I need to send it out and get it sharpened by someone that knows what they are doing and if so do you recommend someone. #2 is it wrong to think that I can get as good of a shave from a straight as I can from a shavette or am I expecting too much?

You can get as good a shave from a straight as you are getting from your shavette. New razors are rarely shave ready( especially the mass produced ones). The shave from a straight is a bit different. It feels smoother and the angle of attack is a bit shallower. There are several people that hone professionally on this forum. I would drop @Doc226 a line.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For Christmas my wife bought me a dovo solingen straight razor. I can shave with a shavette no problem, but this razor hurts it pulls and tugs and is just unpleasant. Ive got a strop but it make no difference. I have a two part question #1 do I need to send it out and get it sharpened by someone that knows what they are doing and if so do you recommend someone. #2 is it wrong to think that I can get as good of a shave from a straight as I can from a shavette or am I expecting too much?
What model? Makes a big difference.

#1 do I need to send it out and get it sharpened by someone that knows what they are doing and if so do you recommend someone.

yes, absolutely. Where are you located? US, UK, elsewhere?

#2 is it wrong to think that I can get as good of a shave from a straight as I can from a shavette or am I expecting too much?

Not wrong, with a good edge and food technique you will likely enjoy the shave very much, perhaps more due to the varying edges capable.

Last factory Dovo I bought had micro-chipping towards the heel. A trip to a coticule with a little pressure did wonders, followed by a red-pasted strop. So, yes, it's probably best to send it out for a honing touch-up if you're new to this. As for recommendations, a lot has to do with where you are located. Where are you located?

Thanks for all the replies, I live near Atlanta Georgia. I guess Ive got to actually get it sharpened by a professional, is there anyone that is recommend. Ill reach out to doc226 as well . Again thank you all for your help.

I have honed several Dovo razors that were NIB and they lack being shave ready IMHO.... a simple trip for a full progression on either natural on synthetic hones are usually all they need.

Top Bottom