What's new

Straight Drop or FBI Tilt

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’m sort of confused. Do they make canted holsters for IWB?

I know I just purchased some OWB gun leather pancake style holsters for a revolver and a 1911 and they were canted, but the manufacturer didn’t give options of a straight drop? They all just come canted.

I own some cheap Uncle Mikes IWB’s which are my favorite to carry IWB in, but they are straight drop. Also have a DeSantis leather holster for IWB and Appendix and it’s straight drop also.

What does a canted IWB look like versus a straight drop IWB?

OkieStubble

I can see from John’s pics, I think an fbi made cant can be useful at 4 o’clock and a straight drop at 3 o’clock.

My Uncle Mike’s have straight drop clips and look to be made in the straight drop fashion, but I can attest to the fact, when I am carrying a Glock in the 4:30 position, my straight drop Uncle Mike’s is definitely in a FBI forward canted position, all by itself.

I kinda like it like that. :)

I’m sort of confused. Do they make canted holsters for IWB?

I know I just purchased some OWB gun leather pancake style holsters for a revolver and a 1911 and they were canted, but the manufacturer didn’t give options of a straight drop? They all just come canted.

I own some cheap Uncle Mikes IWB’s which are my favorite to carry IWB in, but they are straight drop. Also have a DeSantis leather holster for IWB and Appendix and it’s straight drop also.

What does a canted IWB look like versus a straight drop IWB?
They do. If you run an FBI can (~15 forward) in AIWB, the butt can be too high for you to establish your FFG (Firm Fighting Grip), so a light rearward cant, if not full straight-drop is normal. When I carry my 19-34, it requires a rearward cant.:sosp:

OkieStubble

They do. If you run an FBI can (~15 forward) in AIWB, the butt can be too high for you to establish your FFG (Firm Fighting Grip), so a light rearward cant, if not full straight-drop is normal. When I carry my 19-34, it requires a rearward cant.:sosp:

Are rear cants only like 5 degrees or something?

5-ish to 10-ish. The problem is that it lowers the grip towards your belt line, so you have to find the sweet spot.

Keeper's Concealment is pretty much the apex of AIWB.
RCS Eidolon is excellent as well, for production.
I'm thinking Phlster Pro looks really good, but I have not tried one yet.

I took a Dremel sanding drum to my Keeper to fit my HB Industries micro comp . Made me sweat a bit, but it works and I didn't cut out too much.

Griffin marketed the "original" micro-comp, and it's decent, but the HB has an appreciable difference. A company called Lakeline has a single-port variation of Griffin. It works, but not as well as the HB, and subjectively not as well as the tri-port Girffin, which effectively produces muzzle stasis.

All of these come out of the "Roland" concept, but differ from the original in that they are truly meant to comp, not provide a bit of compensation, but primarily keep you from carbonizing your WML lens.

You can say comps aren't necessary on 9s, and I generally agree. But. If your grip is already very good, you can see your sights, and your trigger is better than OEM...these make follow ups very, very fast.

I mention these, as they make more difference in AIWB selection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom