What's new

Straight Boar knot

I am in the process of restoring a very old brush. What I would like is a loft of about 48mm, but I can only set the knot at 9mm(actually 8.9mm). The opening is also limited to 17.35mm.
I understand I might not be able to achieve the 48mm loft, but have a little hope. If it is possible, it seems it would have to be accomplished with a boar knot. If taking a knot from another brush, this would most likely be achieved with an Omega. Going in a different direction I could be accomplished using a Vie-Long Horse Hair, but I an unsure about the backbone and depth such a knot would require.
I want to wait to post any pictures until I can do a before and after.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Opening: 17.35mm
Depth: 8.9mm
Desired Loft: ~46mm-48mm

I am in the process of restoring a very old brush. What I would like is a loft of about 48mm, but I can only set the knot at 9mm(actually 8.9mm). The opening is also limited to 17.35mm.
I understand I might not be able to achieve the 48mm loft, but have a little hope. If it is possible, it seems it would have to be accomplished with a boar knot. If taking a knot from another brush, this would most likely be achieved with an Omega. Going in a different direction I could be accomplished using a Vie-Long Horse Hair, but I an unsure about the backbone and depth such a knot would require.
I want to wait to post any pictures until I can do a before and after.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Opening: 17.35mm
Depth: 8.9mm
Desired Loft: ~46mm-48mm

I'm assuming the knot hole can't be drilled deeper.
I saw somewhere that packs of hair can be bought to glue up your own knot, can't remember where but I will look around if that seems like an option you'd like to explore.

No, it cannot. It is a very old, silver brush handle that has some of the knot still left in it, which is giving me the loft. I am using my digital caliper to measure the space available for setting the depth of the future knot. To that end, I am not really even entertaining a badger due to the age and a desire to keep it as period correct as possible. I do have some old, hand-tied knots that I have removed for other really old handles that I have reknotted, but question whether to consider them because I'd really like to use this one.

The only thing I can think of is cutting down the glue plug end of a commercially available boar hair knot to get that loft. Most that I see are about 63mm total height which gives a loft of 54.1 with your knot hole depth. Maybe one of the more experienced brush guys knows a source for different knots.

This is where I am so far with the brush:
I’ve removed the old knot and looked at (2) 16mm knots: TGN Finest and Synthetic.
54D97BA6-E452-493E-A0CB-E20F0E4A8A5D.jpeg
F10EE624-0B15-41A9-8FB8-89ED362AC468.jpeg
E4D7DE15-ED0F-41B6-9172-A31E2BF426FD.jpeg

The biggest challenge is the handle is not deep at all.
986263A5-2838-42F2-80F7-A6172AFD5B6F.jpeg
48682506-E90A-407A-A9FE-C9F74B98B37E.jpeg

The finest knot was meant for this handle:
75890F03-331D-4E3F-80DE-C266860A03DB.jpeg

I’ll just need to be patient.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I think TGN also has a 16 mm boar knot, maybe the glue plug is less thick than these two.

Very cool handles, I see why getting the loft you want is an issue.

I think TGN also has a 16 mm boar knot, maybe the glue plug is less thick than these two.

The badger knot shown is from a TGN Finest badger, and my last 16mm badger. The synthetic knot is nothing special, just a small knot from China.
The larger Silver handle is shown with the same 16mm knot that is shown with the 1880-90's handle. An 18mm would fit great and add great density, however the glue bulge is .5mm too wide, and I am not willing to alter or stress the handle. So, I wait for for the 16mm to be restocked at TGN or find a knot elsewhere.

I had a knot that was a little to big for a handle and I didn't want to buy another knot at the time, I just filed down the glue plug to fit the handle. Worked out pretty well. Might be an option for your situation.

Very cool handles! With such a shallow cup I would think a finest or boar would perform far better than a synthetic. The Maggard badger/boar hybrid would probably do very well. Synths aren’t exactly known for having good backbone and not being able to set it very deep will only compound the problem. Unless of course you like a lot of splay or even a floppy brush, we all have our different tastes.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Have you considered maybe changing the cup at all? Or are you looking to keep it all original?

Top Bottom