What's new

Stoving Tobacco

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
What are your thoughts on stoving tobacco?

I understand that it is suppose to provide immediate aging benefits, but stops the aging process.

If you are bulking buying, would it be beneficial to stove one tin while aging the others?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What are your thoughts on stoving tobacco?

I understand that it is suppose to provide immediate aging benefits, but stops the aging process.

If you are bulking buying, would it be beneficial to stove one tin while aging the others?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Excellent article, but it brings me back to my original question. How many of you would stove your fresh bulk smoking tin vs leaving it alone.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Excellent article, but it brings me back to my original question. How many of you would stove your fresh bulk smoking tin vs leaving it alone.

I wouldn’t stove anything I plan to age after. Stocking changes the tobacco and some folks say it makes it so the tobacco doesn’t age the same after you stove it.

So, maybe take a small jar and stove some tobacco when it’s fresh and see if you like the results.

Even better is to take some tobacco with a little age on it—say maybe 1-2 years—and then stove it. You get some beneficial aging plus the benefits of aging together.

Some people also tin bake to achieve the same results. I did an experiment a few years ago with Peterson’s University Flake and tin baked and stoved some, seeing if I could get it closer to Stonehaven, because it’s probably the closest blend to stonehaven (a VaBur w a dark fruit topping). You can find the thread and check out my results. My memory is the stoning was superior, definitely improved the tobacco, moved it closer to Stonehaven, but didn’t really get there.

I’ve also had some Old Gowrie and HOTW and LBF that we’re stoved by a friend and I liked the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I stoved 1/2 tin of University Flake. It darkened and mellowed, but I did not notice a huge flavor profile difference. Was not better, and not worse. I sent samples to @Kentos, maybe he remembers better than me, but it has been a while.

I wouldn’t stove anything I plan to age after. Stocking changes the tobacco and some folks say it makes it so the tobacco doesn’t age the same after you stove it.

So, maybe take a small jar and stove some tobacco when it’s fresh and see if you like the results.

Even better is to take some tobacco with a little age on it—say maybe 1-2 years—and then stove it. You get some beneficial aging plus the benefits of aging together.

Some people also tin bake to achieve the same results. I did an experiment a few years ago with Peterson’s University Flake and tin baked and stoved some, seeing if I could get it closer to Stonehaven, because it’s probably the closest blend to stonehaven (a VaBur w a dark fruit topping). You can find the thread and check out my results. My memory is the stoning was superior, definitely improved the tobacco, moved it closer to Stonehaven, but didn’t really get there.

I’ve also had some Old Gowrie and HOTW and LBF that we’re stoved by a friend and I liked the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m about to stove some 4 yr old McClelland 2015. Wonder what stoving is like and you’ve just said Aging benefits+Stoving benefits=?! Haha

Thanks for the science experiment!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I stoved 1/2 tin of University Flake. It darkened and mellowed, but I did not notice a huge flavor profile difference. Was not better, and not worse. I sent samples to @Kentos, maybe he remembers better than me, but it has been a while.

I liked, still have a little saved with the intent of doing a comparison with unstoved UF but never got around to it.

Top Bottom