What's new

Stove top espresso machine

I have this fancy espresso machine. A Krups type 884--aka 4000. It is not made anymore. Relatively automatic. I had let it lay fallow for some time and tried to wake it backm to life. I ran it a few cycles in a row and now MORTE. It seems to be completely lifeless. No light--no nothing.

I think an equivalent replacement now is at least 200 dollars and I'll probably muck it up again. I was wondering about those aluminum stove top Italian jobs--like the Brekka in particular (sounds like its better than the Moka). I realize its not exactly a 15 bar pump unit but if it makes good enough espresso (or caffe as those in Italy call the stove top product) for an Americano which is my drink in any case 95 percent of the time it may be just the ticket. Anyone ever try one of these?

I own two Bialetti moka pots and I think they are excellent value for money. I have 2-cup Brikka (the one with patented pressure enhancing device) and an old 2-cup electric MokaEasy. Both produce very nice cup of coffee, with a slight edge (surprisingly) to MokaEasy. Brikka is good, but it is much more sensitive to bean type. The coffee from electric one is also always mellower, probably due to more uniform heating. Modern models of MokaEasy also feature timer and automatic cut-off, both very nice features.

I suggest getting the simplest 2,3 or 4-cup MokaExpress for a start. If you like it, you can upgrade it to electric one.

I use a Mokapot very often...it does give off a slight metallic taste for the first few uses, but after that it works very well. I wouldn't quite call it an espresso-strength coffee, but it is definitely better and stronger than drip coffee.

I use a moka pot almost every morning. I've experimented with many types and grinds of coffee from espresso to my own home roasts, to good old Maxwell House. Whatever coffee I use, it tastes 10x better in the moka pot than in the drip pot. I use my French press on weekends.

+1

I've heard its worthwhile to spend a few extra dollars and get a stainless Moka pot. The aluminum one impart too much "flavor".

Agreed. Isn't there some sort of health risk with heating aluminium containers? I'll have to google it, but I'm sure thats what made me go stainless at the time.

hey there.

I've had a Brikka for many years. Use it off and on. I concur that it's very sensitive to the quality/freshness of the coffee you use, how clean it is (the valves gunk after a while), the phase of the moon, whether the spout points north or south, etc.

In other words, i found it difficult to find a consistent 'sweet-spot' with it. But when it works, it's really good. don't have any problems with it being aluminum-tangy. (the whole aluminum=alzheimers baloney has been comprehensively debunked elsewhere on these forums).

I recommend a Pressman. It's a manual-valved stovetop caffe device that prodices coffee under stam pressure - and also comes with a steam wand. it's been around since the 30s and is made out of bakelite & stainless. i have much better high-quality consistent results with it than a brikka.

cheers,

b.

My Bialetti is a favorite, especially since I gave away my Breville Ikon. Main difference between espresso machine espresso and something like a Bialetti is: no crema. If you're a crema fiend, forget a moka pot. If you just like a more intense coffee, you can't go wrong.

I did see an interesting piece on italian coffee that showed the traditional way to make a crema with sugar and just a small amount of espresso. they were simply mixed together until a runny sugar paste formed and then stirred into a cup of espresso, causing a foaming or crema. I'm not a big fan of sugared coffee, but the look and taste were quite good.

I love my moka pot. I have this 35 year old electric coffee grinder which does a great job of grinding espresso beans. It's a bit more work than a full featured (expensive) expresso machine, but I don't mind.

It's just great to make a really fresh espresso after a good shave, makes you really appreciate the little things in life.

Moka pots are fantastic. If you have an ikea near you they sell a reasonably prices stainless number.

+1

I've heard its worthwhile to spend a few extra dollars and get a stainless Moka pot. The aluminum one impart too much "flavor".

ahhhh! I'll definitely have to get a stainless one...the slight metallic flavor (I assume mine is aluminum) at the beginning was the one issue I had with the Mokapot. Thanks for the tip!!

Update:

I was on Amazon. I had almost purchased a fancy Gaggia machine and at the last moment orderd two much smaller devices

(1) An Aeropress--everyone seems to love them and only 25 dollars

(2) A Brikka. This is like a Moka pot but has a pressure valve and makes a overlap variant of modern day espresso and Kaffe (Italian coffee) complete with crema. It seems like a real kick to use as well.

I'll let you know.

MJB

Top Bottom