What's new

Story behind your user name

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I was a real science fiction fan back in the 70's and 80's and probably would be now if I picked the right book. I read some books I think were written by Brian Daley that had a lead character named Alacrity Fitzhugh. I really liked the name and looked up the definition of Alacrity . . . which I thought would make a good vision for how I wanted to be known.

Fast forward a couple of years. I've done gradiated university . . . which at the time and 50 cents got you a cup of coffee. . . so I'm working as an AP clerk and at that time we used a folder with pockets from A to Z. I noticed that it was natural for the letter A to be paid first . . . so when I eventually registered my own Sole Proprietorship I picked the name "Alacrity Consulting"

Soon after I did this I received a thick package from a lawyer that said my registered name was too close to that of his client who provided similar services. I ignored the letter but I did let the registration lapse and moved to a business name based on my surname . . . which is way way near the end of the alphabet.

That being said . . . I still like the word Alacrity . . . and 59 is the year of my birth.

There is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mike

I just made mine years ago by looking at the keyboard and using keys close together to make a unique name. Although I saw it in greek somewhere before, I was upset lol.

My last military posting before retirement was Defense Attache, US Embassy, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia. I was referred to as the DATT (pronounced - Dat) so many times it became my handle for hotmail and even a stupid vanity license plate.

The Tin fish is actually a candle holder, its scales are squiggly cut outs. When you light a candle inside, it throws flickering shadow and light designs on the wall. It's endearingly tacky, but Mrs. Tinfish and I like it. It caught my eye the evening I registered with B&B. I also used to be a tin knocker in my younger days.

I grew a beard when I was 27 to look older. I had just been hired for an upper management position and looked years younger than I really was. Most of the people that reported to me had been passed over for the position, didn't know me and were older than I was. I figured there would be less resentment and resistance if I didn't also look to them like some snot-nosed kid.

My hair started turning grey about the same time. By the time I was 40 I used to joke that I dyed a few black streaks in my hair and my beard was almost totally grey. The fact that I've always looked younger than I am offset the effect of the grey hair. Today the dark hairs are just a memory. I kept the beard since my wife liked it and it's been over 30 years. It's always been close trimmed and shaped, but it's a full beard, not a goatee. Except for old pictures I wouldn't even have a hint of what I would look like without it.

As far as my user name, my grandkids and their friends think I'm very wise and come to me with questions all the time. They like to be around me and they're very respectful. Love those girls. And my beard is, well, grey.

- Peter
hmm...I would have thought Gandalf

I went on a walk, almost 4 years ago, the day after leaving my job because of health problems. I saw a mink, which I had never seen in the wild before. Thinking it might be an omen of good things to come, I started using it as a user name and it just hasn't gone away.

I'll never tell... :001_smile

Hint: It has nothing to due with my avatar.
Hint2: It is a word that appears in the glossary of a very famous and popular book.

That's all you're getting! :lol:

-Sarfa

About 25 years ago, my first real full time job was in construction on a framing crew. As the new guy, my job was to cut, carry, and climb. In my youthful exuberance, I got in a hurry and wound up cutting through a power cord with a circular saw. The guys on the crew made fun of me by calling me "Cord Cutter" which was shortened to "Cutter". The name just stuck.

I am a technical Army Warrant officer, as opposed to an aviation Warrant Officer. Technical Warrants are called "Chief" when they get promoted to Chief Warrant Officer 2 from Warrant Officer 1. That explains the ArmyChief part. The 235 part of my user name originates from my team numbers from all the sports I played all my life. All through my sports career my numbers were always 2, 3, or 5. That is the boring but true story behind my user name.

Top Bottom