What's new

Storm's Soap Sampling Story: Scentral Station

How should I do my forum threads? Thematic scents (like tobacco, bay rum, etc) or brand?

• Do threads on a themed basis (a "bay rum scent" thread)

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Do threads on a brand basis (a Stirling soaps thread)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • This isn't a good idea and you shouldn't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good day everyone!

I am one of the newer members of the forum but have really enjoyed what this board offers to all the gents and would like to contribute my 2c as they say.

I experience major Soap AD and am always looking for more soap to try/buy/use. One of the things I found out when I began to browse is that this forum has a number of "favored brands", but not so much a database of specific soaps from these brands. Obviously YMMV is a factor to this.

I decided that I would begin to create a system to help newcomers really begin to learn about the soaps of each brand so that they may buy with more confidence. So it's kinda a 3017 except in reverse. Instead of using up everything I have, I am going to buy 🤣

Because of the time I expect this to take I am going to use this forum as a "scentral terminal" ;) Below, I will describe the method involved and the standards for reviewing. Later I will post links to each of the threads as they are posted. So let's get down to business!

The Plan

Disclaimer to start off. Everything is relative in terms of reviews. I hope to create a system that others find fair and as free of bias as possible, but everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. I definitely don't expect my reviews to be scripture, but if it helps someone else figure out info about a soap before the purchase my goal will be accomplished. This also isn't completion of "who's better", but instead a systemized review of each soap. I have no affiliation with a brand.

Soaps will be judged on a point system of 1-5 in "trueness" to scent, how long the scent lasts, post-shave "feel", and ease of lather. I typically purchase matching aftershave to go with my soaps, however, I know that certain soaps don't have such a thing. To make things fair I will use an unscented witch hazel toner with each shave. Once I post these threads I would love to hear people's personal thoughts and possibly run the trials themselves as additional reviews to the scents.

Example of a review
(please note that this is going to be short and sweet for the sake of things)

Arko Shaving Soap (almost everyone knows this stick so it's a good example)

Love it or hate it, Arko is one of the soaps that almost every wet shaver has used at least once. Arguably the most affordable route for shave soaps, this cult classic has a scent described as "Clean, Fresh, and Crisp". Many say this stick has a citronella scent while others simply call it a mild lemon smell.
Scent accuracy: 4/5
Scent longevity: 2/5
Lather ease: 5/5
Post-shave feel: 3/5
I have Arkos totaling in at a reasonable 14/20. This Stick does the job and it does the job consistently good. You won't find another soap that can create a lather in such a quick manner or be so simple to use. The scent to me is a pleasant citronella, but find it difficult to advertise as "clean, fresh, and crisp" is entirely accurate. Although I placed the longevity at 2/5, sometimes having a quick-to-leave smell is a high point. This makes for a soap that can pair with a variety of aftershaves without getting in the way.

I left a poll to see if people are interested in this concept and if I should organize the threads by themes or brands. I personally like the theme concept, but let's hear from everyone.
Thanks for your time and :shaving: happy shaving!

I will give this another day to brew over before I make my mail call but I am going to prepare for either situation.

IMG_20200625_120654.jpg

The testing begins! It's going to take a while to get some of these. I've done the Stirling soaps already so I'd expect to write up the first thread in a day or two. B&M and Stirling are going to be pretty long threads with me getting what I can whenever I can. Once I post the thread I'll add the link to it in here.

Deja Vu for me. I went through a few months ago from buying up samples from Shave Dash....It was good experience. Now moved recently moved out of the buying phase and rotation of using the full tubs purchased

Top Bottom