What's new

Storing pipes outside.

Good morning gents. I'm finally getting a house with a nice covered porch perfect for an afternoon pipe. I was thinking about mounting a nice wood box on the wall to store all of my smoking stuff so I don't have to walk it through the house. Anyone have any issues with pipes being outside? I'm in the south so it's humid, often 90+, and only rarely below freezing.

Obviously I'd keep the tobacco indoors for temperature control.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Good morning gents. I'm finally getting a house with a nice covered porch perfect for an afternoon pipe. I was thinking about mounting a nice wood box on the wall to store all of my smoking stuff so I don't have to walk it through the house. Anyone have any issues with pipes being outside? I'm in the south so it's humid, often 90+, and only rarely below freezing.

Obviously I'd keep the tobacco indoors for temperature control.
I'd worry about the humidity keeping the pipes from properly drying/resting between smokes. My pipes stay indoors so I can't speak from experience.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think they will be ok. My only concern would be to be sure they are kept out of direct sun.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I often let a pipe air out after use for 24 hrs outside, and then bring them inside. I would not trust leaving a quality pipe outside even in a box for an extended period of time though. I have no proof of harm being done, just not comfortable with the idea. I do find that airing out for 24 hrs significantly reduces residual tobacco odor, SWMBO hates smoking and smoking odors and I would certainly hear about it if there were excessive smoking odors from my pipes inside.

I tried keeping a few pipes on my back porch. Out of direct sun and in a small container that wasn’t totally sealed for breathability. I had an issue with the stems becoming loose. As soon as I brought them back inside into consistent controlled temps they were fine again.

For me, there's too many unknown variables to feel comfortable leaving anything beyond a corn cob outside for longer than overnight. Even the cobs I try to bring in before bedtime. Maryland weather is too fickle, to say nothing of children (mine and neighborhood kids) and small woodland creatures.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My biggest concern, assuming they aren’t in direct sun, would be the humidity. It is important for a pipe to dry when put up.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I don’t have any pipes that stay outside but I do generally leave my pipe to cool down and air out outside when I’m finished smoking. My hope though is to build a shop in the coming months and I’ll probably move some pipes over to the shop at some point.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try leaving the pipes outside and see what happens. If/when I progress to Pedersen and other $100+ pipes I will undoubtedly be more cautious.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try leaving the pipes outside and see what happens. If/when I progress to Pedersen and other $100+ pipes I will undoubtedly be more cautious.
Checking in late on this one.

As long as you can maintain adequate ventilation and protect them from precipitation, most briars should be able to tolerate that environment. You may need to lengthen the rotation interval, though.

Cobs and mineral pipes should be fine.

Vulcanite stems will need more regular attention in that environment if you like them shiny.

The only other thought is that if this is an open porch, carport, or other overhang, I’d consider keeping them in a screened in cabinet to deter insects.

The only other thought is that if this is an open porch, carport, or other overhang, I’d consider keeping them in a screened in cabinet to deter insects.

Yes, I can confirm from experience that pincher bugs love the inside of a 9mm stem. How they get there, I'll never know but I've had it happen twice.

Top Bottom