What's new

Storing blades for how long?

I've settled on Astra Superior Platinum after about 4 years of trying different blades.

I'm now considering buying blades for the rest of my life (I plan on lasting to about 100 years old 😅)

I'm 40 now, so I'll be looking at buying 60 years of blades.

Question: will the blades go dull before I die?

You'll be fine. Just keep them dry. Storage ideas in this thread -

If you were to purchase 60 years worth of blades, they might well last that long. However, you might not enjoy using them as much as you do today. As you get older, it is likely (but not certain) that your beard will become tougher and your skin will become more sensitive. Hopefully, you won't end up like me, but I do not find Astra SP blades to be either sharp enough for my beard, nor smooth enough for my skin. It would be a shame to stock up on blades only to learn that you no longer enjoy using them years from now.

If you want to purchase 10 years worth, go ahead and do so. You might still enjoy them 10 years from now, but beyond that there is too much uncertainty.

What @RayClem said happened to me, luckily not with ten years worth. I used only Astra SP for about 5 years but as soon as I got an itch to try new blades they plummeted on my favorites list.

I much prefer a sharper blade now.

I've used vintage blades from the 1960's or 70's that have been great so stored in good conditions I think you'll have no problem. I agree with the others though. When I started shaving with a DE my whiskers were still black and I used Astras with no issues. Now my whiskers are gray and Astras are tuggy and rough feeling. I need sharper blades now.

If you were to purchase 60 years worth of blades, they might well last that long. However, you might not enjoy using them as much as you do today. As you get older, it is likely (but not certain) that your beard will become tougher and your skin will become more sensitive. Hopefully, you won't end up like me, but I do not find Astra SP blades to be either sharp enough for my beard, nor smooth enough for my skin. It would be a shame to stock up on blades only to learn that you no longer enjoy using them years from now.

If you want to purchase 10 years worth, go ahead and do so. You might still enjoy them 10 years from now, but beyond that there is too much uncertainty.
Curious to know what you use that's both sharper and smoother than Astra SP.

Green and yellow Gillette are also favorites of mine. But Astra SP i found a lot cheaper.

I've settled on Astra Superior Platinum after about 4 years of trying different blades.

I'm now considering buying blades for the rest of my life (I plan on lasting to about 100 years old 😅)

I'm 40 now, so I'll be looking at buying 60 years of blades.

Question: will the blades go dull before I die?
SS blades will ”outlive“ you and the pyramids😉

Green and yellow Gillette are also favorites of mine. But Astra SP i found a lot cheaper.
The SharpEdge are good but Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette Platinum are sharper and smoother. As you say the Astra SP are very competitively priced at the moment are are a good blade. Wizamet blades are often mentioned so give them a try.
The GSB seems to have got expensive recently so shop around or wait for a price drop.

I'd just buy a few years worth. You never know what other blades may come out that you might like better. A five year supply seems plenty, then you can re-evaluate.

Legion

Staff member
I've had blades in storage for about fifteen years and they are fine. Not sure how long they will last, but so far, so good.

Prepare for the shavepocalypse :biggrin:

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

I have a 30-year supply, about 65% Astra SP. I just store the blades in gallon-size zippered freezer bags in the bottom drawer of my nightstand.

I'll probably forget where I put 'em before I use 'em all up.

The biggest enemy of the DE blades is water and properly stored blades can be theoretically used even after 100 years and they will still be just as good as they are today.

Curious to know what you use that's both sharper and smoother than Astra SP.

Nearly every blade I have tried has been sharper and smoother than Astra SP. However, there are a few blades that have been worse.

Yes, Astra SP blades are inexpensive, but there are a lot of blades that are no more expensive than these that are better blades.

Because of the current conflict in Ukraine and sanctions placed on Russia, this might not be the best time to purchase blades made in St Petersburg, Russia or in Moscow. Pricing might be unstable right now. There are some reasonably priced blades from other countries you might want to try. Some would be:

Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades made in India or China
Personna Platinum blades now made in Germany
Personna Comfort Coated "Lab Blue" blades made in USA
Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades made in Vietnam
SuperMax Blue Diamond blades made in India.
Durablade Sharp Titanium blades made in Balgladesh.
Shark Platinum or Lord Platinum blades made in Egypt.

Although I love Permasharp Super, Nacet, and BIC Chrome Platinum blades, they might be sharper than you need or want at this stage of your shaving journey.

There are certainly other blades worth investigating, but these are the ones that

Top Bottom