What's new

Stop the presses! A retraction.......

Shaved again this morning with my tweaked vintage Williams. What a fantastic lather! This has become my favorite of the soaps I currently have on hand. Trouble is that I am almost out of it, and I can't replace it.

I remember, though, that CBL makes a soap called "CBL Tonsorial" that is based on vintage Williams. I further remember that I had a puck of it and that one time I literally did a side-by-side comparison in which I lathered up the Tonsorial for one side of my face and the vintage Williams for the other and that they were nearly identical.

This has got me to thinking......if CBL makes an unscented version of the Tonsorial line, I could potentially get that and then tweak it in the same way....grate it, add a bit of glycerin, and scent it up with grapefruit essential oil. That might recreate this awesome soap almost perfectly.

Off to CBL to see if Tonsorial comes unscented...........

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Their unscented is “Granite” and it doesn’t appear to be a hard, tallow puckarooni.

I gave Williams a try shortly after I started this venture about 5 years ago. A few reasons I bought it, 1st was because it was the soap my Dad used, 2nd it was mentioned a lot here, and 3rd it was like a $1.05 at the grocery store(shocked they even carried it). I could not get it to lather very well so I gave up on it and tossed it. Now that I have years of lathering under my belt I have been thinking about picking up another puck but just can't bring myself to do it.

Just got back from another old-timey pharmacy in town. They have Williams for $1.29 each and Wilkinson Sword blades (5-pack) for $1 a pack. Bought two pucks and two packs of blades just for the hell of it.

Top Bottom