What's new

Stoopid Nooby Question

So, you just finished shaving. You just rinsed your skin. Do you put cold water on before your aftershave? I'm of two minds on this...
1. If you put on aftershave first, you're washing it off if you apply cold water after.
2. If you wash with cold water first, you're helping to close the pores. Then they won't absorb as much of the aftershave.

So I find myself rinsing with warm water, towel drying, then applying aftershave.

Herr Zig the Pirate, Welcome to B&B!

Per your question, most definitely, cool rinse before aftershave.

IMHO, aftershave or colognes do not need to reach pores, just the surface, but i'm just a shaver, not a dermatologist!

But experiment both ways and decide what works best for you!!

Cold water will calm down any irritation and rinse off any remaining soap. That gets done first. Then, apply your aftershave, if any.

Cold water compress at the end of the shave is one of my favorite parts. I follow that with the alum block and typically shower after that. The shower and drying off cleans off the alum and I am ready for splash/balm as the mood dictates.

I am a newb but I personally splash my face and wipe off any remaining lather with warm water in my hands. Then pat dry with my towel and splash the aftershave!

I rinse with warm water to get all the cream off, then an alum block dipped in cold water followed by a shave balm. The alum block does the job of the astringent and the balm soothes the skin. I usually brush my teeth at that point and then apply a facial moisturizer over the balm.

I've been wet shaving for 10 years or so now. I have found I get the best result with a warm water rinse following the final pass, then a cold water rinse, sometimes run the alum block over my face, then Thayers witch hazel followed by an aftershave balm.

Alum, neutral temperature rinse, pat dry while damp Lucky Tiger whole face, when dry, aftershave to shaved area.

My routine is to use a washcloth dipped in cool water on my face followed by Thayers Rose Petal WH and either an aftershave or aftershave balm.
My Grandfather always used a washcloth, and it had to be a purple one - it hides the blood stains that didn't come out in the laundry, plus it didn't get mixed in with the "other" (usually white ones). I've taken up the family tradition & found that purple is a little more fade resistant, too, than other colors.

I rinse my face twice. First with warm water to get all the soap/cream residue and then with cold to close off the pores.

From what I've heard, tradition is to have used water that has been boiled for your shave - to kill any bacteria/viruses in the water in the years before water treatment. Warm water treatment, shave, warm water rinse, then aftershave (which, again, would kill anything on your skin before it killed you). I'd recommend this approach if you're shaving in the rough or in an area with untreated water.

With today's treated water (in most areas of the world), you're better off with a warm water rinse (remove soap from pores), cold water rinse (close the pores), alum and/or witch hazel to taste, then aftershave to smell nice.

Remember, there are no hard and fast rules. Whatever makes your shave work for you, do that.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Warm water rinse -> cold water rinse -> pat dry -> alum and/or witch hazel -> AS balm -> Aftershave

Current AS Balm is either Bath & Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel or InstaSkincare Pure Hyaluronic Acid.

Cologne may or may not be applied post Aftershave.

YMMV :)

Top Bottom