What's new

Stone ID? Any help appreciated!

I just purchased a stone, flying COMPLETELY blind. It set me back barely 25 bills and I think the box is pretty cool. My thinking was that if it's completely useless, it wouldn't have originally sold in that box and if someone made the box, they must have liked the stone!

"The stone is unmarked and has a very fine/smooth texture. It is glued to the base of the box and also please see the last picture showing a chipped portion of the stone on a bottom corner. The Inlayed Box is 5 1/2" x 2 5/8" x 7/16. The stone measures 4 5/8 x 1 1/2 x 7/16 Weight of the stone and box is 9.5 oz."

Anyone seen anything like this, or have I overspent on a cool little box? Thanks!

Stone 1.png

Stone 2.png

Stone 3.png

Thank you very much! I have a translucent on order from Dan's and was thinking that might be a softer one. Hopefully I can put it to use. I'll have to figure out where it fits in a progression.

Thank you very much! I have a translucent on order from Dan's and was thinking that might be a softer one. Hopefully I can put it to use. I'll have to figure out where it fits in a progression.

Should be good for bevel setting (though it's not the biggest), you'd probably want another stone between that and the translucent.

When you get it just have a look at that dark splotch in the middle of the second picture. It may be fine, but it might some kind of inclusion that causes a bit of trouble on a razor.

Those white ones with the vericose veins are often sold as modern washita. They aren't really. I think they're in between soft and washita in practice, personally. Mine also came with a propeller twist, make sure it's flat before cutting bevels.

That said, I had one bring a a razor back from pawn shop condition, so they work!

I got the stone in. It is much more colorful than the vendor's photo showed. After lapping with 220 and 600 and chamfering the edges, she's right purdy!

That Boker had previously been shaved with, but had a couple tiny nicks. I hit a Shapton 1K, then a dilucot starting on a very light slurry and finally the translucent. Haven't had a chance to try it, but all indications are good!

@cotedupy , good call on the inclusion! It was indeed, but lapped out to just a pinhole.

I hope that all my American brothers had a nice Thanksgiving and everyone else a wonderful day.

20221124_234931.jpg

20221124_123802.jpg

I don't think the rear window demister is going to get you car out of that.
Ain't that the truth! I think only spring will get it out. I would love to move it out in front of the landing zone from the neighbor's roof. To that end, I started shoveling it off today, since it got up to 40 degrees F. here. That's what all the snow in the driveway is. I'm guessing I won't get it, because she loves to spin in ANY amount of snow.

Top Bottom