What's new

Stone Cottage sample pack

Bay Lime will be my cream du jour tonight. I've had the samples since Monday and haven't used one yet. I only shave every other day, so my Tuesday night shave ended up going to a TOBS Lemon Lime sample through a total game of chance. Since Bay Lime was the runner up in that, it gets the nod tonight. I'm really excited.

Used the Cedar Noir today. Had to work a getting a lather, but never really got it. Not crazy over the scent, either. I'll pass on this one. Tomorrow is Sandalwood, then Musk. That's all the samples from Stone Cottage. I re-ordered another five to retry some of the scents (no issues with the lathering):

First Scent: Bay Lime (most likely on my "buy" list because of the scent combination)
Second Scent: Frankincense Fog (Maybe)
Third Scent: Spiced Myrrh (probably not, as I use C&E Moroccan Myrrh; it's unbeatable)
Fourth Scent: Vanilla and Vetiver (most likely on my "buy" list)
Fifth Scent: Coconut Holiday (Maybe)

I've already ordered a tub of Almond Flower, my favorite of all the samples.

Mikey

A lot of posts on the Stone Cottage samples. Since none (or at least most) of us will not purchase all the tubs that match all the samples, it would be interesting if, when we are done with the sampling phase, we could post our top three (will purchase at some point). That could reveal what we feel as a group are the best of the breed and see how many of us picked the same scent. No details, just name the scent.
I have my first tub purchase and it's Almond Flower.
Just a thought.

Mikey

I purchased fougere way before this thread. I would purchase almond flower. As for the third? That's a toss up. I do like Cedre Noir and hesperide.

Just used the Sandalwood and I gotta say, "It's fantastic" Nice scent and a really rich, slick lather. Just became my number two, following Almond Flower (just received my full tub today). Musk is tomorrow and then for a retry of some of the others I kind of liked.
Bay Lime
Frankincense Fog
Vanilla and Vetiver
Coconut Holiday
Kashmir

Mikey

Gotta be honest, this sounds like a fantastic cream and I'm jealous that I can't pick some up for awhile. I like using samples on the weekend, but being stationed overseas shipping takes longer than I want so I'm skeptical of creams in tubs. Stone cottage will most likely be my first purchase when I return stateside (cmon 2020)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning was Cedar. I added more water up front (on my first round I had to add a lot later in the process) but still had to add more. This was the first time I used my new Parker synthetic brush. I shouldn't have mixed two new elements (three really, I used a new straight razor too) because I am not sure what made the difference. There was tons of lather but it was much lighter and more airy than I am used to. Nonetheless, it worked quite well with with plenty of slickness. Can't say that I noticed the scent pop quite as much as bay lime.

My goodness, these samples hardly seemed like I have used them... These will easily last 5 or more shaves.

Next: the much anticipated Fougere

Over the weekend and this morning I have added Fougere and Frankincense to my "tried" list. I found that I really liked the scent of Fougere but am on the fence with frankincense.

After using 4 now, I am still struggling to dial in the right water proportions... Once I had to add more and re-lather it in the bowl. Another time I think that I went too far.

I am still rather new to all of this, so I am sure it is me and not stone cottage. Going from TOBS, I am using much less product and despite this I am still using more water.

Luckily, with 10 very generous samples, I will have plenty of time to learn.

Last edited:
Taking the advice offered here, I added a lot more water to my lather than I have ever added to any soap before and then I got some really nice shaves. I have very limited experience with creams but now I wonder if I've been mixing my soaps a little too dry as well. Going to Try one of my favorite soaps tonight and add a lot more water and see if the best gets even better. So thanks for the advice.

I've sample 6 creams over the last couple of weeks and I think I just like soaps better.
The Suède de Kashmir scented cream has been my favorite so far and I like it enough to buy it but I think the soap might be a better choice for me. Has anyone here tried that scent in soap and cream? Are they comparable?

I tried the Cedre Noire last night and it performed fairly well. Like some of the others, I think I'm being too bashful with the water. Especially since I'm using a boar brush that's pretty new and different from the badger brush I am used to. I'm certain my troubles are due to not adding enough water and not my brush needing a little more breaking in than I'm used to. I'm trying to be patient with it but I'm not the most patient person in the world. Lol.

I've tried all the samples and am now retrying some others.
Namely:
Vanilla, Bay Lime, Frankincense Fog, Spiced Myrrh, Coconut Holiday.
I purchased the Almond Flower and will purchase the Sandalwood (my top two). As a matter of fact, it had a better scent than T&H (no detectable Sandalwood scent) and the lather was just as great, at 1/2 the cost. My T&H favorites are Trafalgar and Aspley. Really great creams. I have samples of the T&H Grafton, Limes (although I use CF Limes), and 1805.
Most likely will purchase the Vanilla and the Bay Lime (I use CC's Bay Rum and CF Lime, but the blend of the two scents are nice.
Most likely will not purchase Spiced Myrrh. I use C&E Moroccan Myrrh and it unbeatable.
Most likely will not purchase the Frankincense Fog. Kind of a murky scent, not my taste.
Coconut Holiday is a TBD, depending on scent. I say that because all the creams lather well.
I also find that some of the harder creams are thirsty. I did NOT find that to be the case with Almond Flower and Sandalwood. Kashmir, Cedar Noire, & Fourge used a lot of water..and work.
IMHO
Mikey

I must use almost no water or my maggard 24 mm synthetic is holding a lot more water than I think. I have no issues with not enough water, as some seem to, and face lather only.

I do use another brand soap and tried bowl and face. Bowl was just whipped cream type. I did not like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm used to thicker lather. My experience has been totally different but the outcome the same, it's a great cream. This is interesting.

I must use almost no water or my maggard 24 mm synthetic is holding a lot more water than I think. I have no issues with not enough water, as some seem to, and face lather only.

I do use another brand soap and tried bowl and face. Bowl was just whipped cream type. I did not like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm used to thicker lather. My experience has been totally different but the outcome the same, it's a great cream. This is interesting.
It is a great cream. Since they all lather great, I go for scent as well. So far my two favs are Almond Flower & Sandalwood. Vanilla lathers great but I could not detect any scent. Tomorrow is Bay Lime. After that it's Frankincense Fog (I'll try it, but I did not like the scent in the jar), Coconut Holiday, Spiced Myrrh (I use C&E Moroccan Myrrh and it's just awesome, so I'll most likely pass on Spiced Myrrh). I have then tested all the samples from Stone Cottage. I already purchased the Almond Flower. Will buy Sandalwood at a later date. I'm thinking Bay Lime will be my third. We'll see.
What are your favorites?
Mikey

It is a great cream. Since they all lather great, I go for scent as well. So far my two favs are Almond Flower & Sandalwood. Vanilla lathers great but I could not detect any scent. Tomorrow is Bay Lime. After that it's Frankincense Fog (I'll try it, but I did not like the scent in the jar), Coconut Holiday, Spiced Myrrh (I use C&E Moroccan Myrrh and it's just awesome, so I'll most likely pass on Spiced Myrrh). I have then tested all the samples from Stone Cottage. I already purchased the Almond Flower. Will buy Sandalwood at a later date. I'm thinking Bay Lime will be my third. We'll see.
What are your favorites?
Mikey
Mine are almond flower and fougere with hesperide real close. I like cedar Noir but to me it's similar to fougere.

Used Myrrh again today. Ridiculously good shave and skin-feel afterwards. I'm sure this isn't the right thread for this but I am curious, as a newcomer to wet shaving, how SC creams compare to some of the high-end ones I always read about on this forum (e.g., MdC or other expensive brands).

Used Myrrh again today. Ridiculously good shave and skin-feel afterwards. I'm sure this isn't the right thread for this but I am curious, as a newcomer to wet shaving, how SC creams compare to some of the high-end ones I always read about on this forum (e.g., MdC or other expensive brands).
I've used Trumper and think SC perform better.

To add to that, I can't say I don't use other stuff. Sometimes it's due to scent or maybe it's close to performance, or a combination. Only you can answer that question.

Used my vetiver and vanilla sample tonight and I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed. I was able to build a decent lather but it only lasted 2 passes and the cream was chunky. So I won't be using that one again.

Stone Cottage creams perform just as good, if not better, than some of the high end creams. I purchased the Almond Flower. It has extremely rich lather and a nice mellow scent. My next immediate purchase will be the Sandalwood. The Spiced Myrrh was a pleasant surprise, so I'm changing my opinion on that one and at some point in the future will buy a tub. Same reasons as the Almond. Not purchasing any time soon, but I also liked the Vanilla. Excellent cream, but lacking an any sort of scent. As stated by OP, cream performance and scents are a matter of personal preference.
So, my top three are: Almond Flower, Sandalwood, & Spiced Myrrh. Bay Lime is a close fourth, but I'll pass on that one, for now.
Overall, you cannot go wrong with these creams, especially for the price.

Mikey

Last edited:
Overall, you cannot go wrong with these creams, especially for the price.
Mikey
Totally agree. Also, I do find the scents are quite fleeting; that's not much of an issue for me. I like the fragrance when I get started but then it's all about the performance.

Top Bottom