What's new

Stockouts, panic buying, and how you cook...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Went to 3 different stores a couple of days ago because we have been out of town for over a week and are starting back to work today with 16 hour shifts today and tomorrow and my wife just got another on Monday too.
This is from one store but basically tells the whole story. We got enough for now. I told my wife I’ll go to the ranch and shoot a deer and a hog before I go back to the store.
View attachment 1076840
I bet there was no toilet paper.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Plenty of TP at the Aldi. I guess a lot of folks here don't know that's a grocery store LOL!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
TP supplies are still low, but ... there seems to be some out there. Between stores setting limits on purchases, online places preventing gouging, and "no returns" policies being announced ... people are tending to find that they have "enough" and only need a bit more.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Naww...not hording. That stash has been built up over time. I don't think we've bought any meat in the last month or so, except for a couple of slabs if ribs for the smoker.

You don't like pork and beans...really??? We open a can, put some mustard, ketchup, Worchestershire sauce, brown sugar, and chopped onion in the pan and heat it up. Improvised baked beans...it goes well with Tater Salad for BBQ.

And this is what we people in our neck of the woods call good Eaten!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
TP supplies are still low, but ... there seems to be some out there. Between stores setting limits on purchases, online places preventing gouging, and "no returns" policies being announced ... people are tending to find that they have "enough" and only need a bit more.
Went to 3 different grocery stores on Friday...no bueno.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hope more places start the no return policy. Let the hoarders swim in their greed a while.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The line at the local Sams
AFD1E44C-27AB-42F4-AA5A-CEB3B39FE875.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Hope that clears up soon. Ours was crazy a week or so ago.

Now, several local governments here in NC have declared 'Stay at Home' in effect starting tomorrow.

Walked right in the WalMart neighborhood market this morning. Got eggs, OJ, Bounty paper towels and a large pack of TP in case some of my elderly neighbors need some. In and out in 9 mins.

AZ continues to be in panic. Three different major stores, not a single paper product in any of them. Frozen foods have been ravaged. No canned soup (except for cauliflower soup… You can get all the cauliflower soup you want!)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I asked the neighbors if they could spare a roll of TP. They said no TP unless you can provide us with a pound of smoked brisket. Ha, if i had pound of smoked brisket I wouldnt need TP.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I didn't go back through all four pages of this thread to see if it had been posted before, but I came across this today:

All the pricks that bought up all that stuff and left sick, elderly Granny with nothing should be under mandatory quarantine and not be able to leave their house PERIOD until they use up all the excess items they hoarded.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Reduced to home-work hermitage, I'm eating weird stuff. Whatever I can find. Since our cases doubled in one day, really don't feel like going out.

Cheese grits with chopped up chicken breast was actually very good. Might be a thing some day.

Yesterday's Hormel sausage hash and applesauce, not so sure ...

If you fry the hash crispy, it's better than you think.

AA

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We ran out of milk yesterday. That kind of upset our younger son who likes hot chocolate for breakfast drink every morning, and it's not the same made with just water. But he still gets his 2-egg bacon-&-cheese omelette and pancake every day, so ... "first world problems". Our egg supply will last a week or so at least.

We'll run out of fresh vegetables first, after milk, and then eggs. We still have a good supply of food, just not everything we are used to or would prefer on a daily basis. So ... it's an inconvenience, not a crisis, in our food supply. We had modest supplies to begin with, and we did stock up more when this thing was coming over the horizon.

My Great-great-great Grandmother lost her husband and fled the Irish potato famine back in the 1840s with her eight children in tow. When I think of what they must have gone through ... I'm not complaining about running out of just milk and toilet paper!!

Top Bottom