What's new

Stirling - which one next?

As others have mentioned, Sandpiper is an outstanding cologne type scent as is Piacenza... I might also suggest when you are purchasing you add a few samples to your cart as its a great way to sample several different scents and not break the bank along with not being stuck with a full tub or puck of something you might not like!! On average most have been known to get 30+ shaves from a sample puck and I'm sure that's plenty of time to make a decision if its a keeper or not.

Being early summer I'd also suggest something fruity as well as I rather like Satsuma, (tangerine / oriental spice), quite a bit and have been through a tub of Margarita's in the Arctic that needs to be replenished upon the next soap order!! Just a suggestion...

Hello again everyone,

i know its been a few month since we talked about this topic, but i finally pulled the trigger on the next one!
I went with barbershop and indeed it is a very refined and beautiful scent. I expected it very different though, not because of what you guys have written to me here in this thread, but because of reviews that i read elsewhere, which stated that its overly powdery and sweet to the extend of cookies. So when i opened the soap i was very surprised because its a darker kind of scent actually. Someone in this thread described it as a neat musky scent, well that gets very close! First i get the sweetness which isn’t too strong but well blended and then the strong warm vanilla which carries a good amount of musk, which reminds me nearly exactly of the vanilla you get from old spice! Then everting is wrapped in a old school powdery soap smell. Barbershop scent it is, a old school one though. Im glad that even though barbershop scents are mostly basic, Stirling went with a more complex take on it and yet managed to make it smell traditional.

I only bought the soap, but might get the aftershave also. But for now old spice acts nearly as a matching aftershave or as a strongly complimenting one to say the least.

Next stop, sharp dressed man!

First, I don't know how that Barbershop smells. I have avoided it because I don't like powdery scents.

If you liked the warm musky vanilla as you described it then you really should check out Stirling Gentleman. It's one of my favorites with tabacco, vanilla, musk, and amber. The aftershave lasts forever---I can still faintly smell it the next day.

Sharp Dressed Man is one of my wife's favorites and is the only soap I've ever actually finished.

@ John Marston, you might want to investigate Stirling “Duke”. It’s a very subtle sophisticated (IMHO) scent. I find it long lasting too. If you like Executive Man and SDM you should like that too. It is Classy scent again IMHO

Sharp Dressed Man resembles Creed Green Irish Tweed (reminds a bit of Davidoff Cool Water).
From what I’ve heard cool water was created by the same person who created green Irish tweed. So a similarly isn’t that surprising.

Some of my recommendations:
Sandpiper: just an all around classy scent
Haverford: just the right amount of tobacco and a warm spiciness that really compliments the tobacco
Triumph: another all around classy scent
Faskally: Stirling’s take on Tom Ford’s grey vetiver

Sandpiper is my current favorite Stirling scent. I realize it's a dupe but I really enjoy it. I received a Sandpiper sample bath soap with a previous order and turned around to buy the Sandpiper shave soap, aftershave splash, and balm. It is a warm scent to me, but I use it all year.

I'm a huge fan of Stirling Green (Polo), Iced Coffee, and Spice (Old Spice). Just picked up two containers of Iced Coffee from the sale a couple weeks ago, LOVE that coffee sent, combined with a blast of menthol. (Heck, I even grabbed the bath soap and aftershave in the same scent).

Hello fellas,

Recently i’ve received Stirling executive man, both soap and aftershave as a gift. Since then i have been so pleased with the overall quality and performance that i’m really ready to get my hands on a another scent.

Scent wise i’m blown away by executive man, which is based on creed aventus. It really isn’t a shaving scent, but that awesome refined perfume one. Never had a shaving soap/aftershave with such a awesome scent.

At the moment I’m deciding which one to get next though! Im hard pressed between sharp dressed man, barbershop and mountain man. What do you think? Eventually i will end up with all of them, i know that, but for now i really want another perfume like, type of high grade scent.

I think i want to go with sharp dressed man, but i have read on here that some claim its so identical to executive man that they don’t even can tell a difference. Is that really true? Im very discerning when it comes to scents, so please give me your opinion about this, if you own both. But barber shop and mountain man also sound very tempting.

Thank you for your suggestions!
I note your thread was posted back in May 2022, and you seem quite happy using Stirling products. I don't know if you've looked at the bottom of Stirling's Home page, but they give scent descriptions which are really helpful (and note that some of the scents are seasonal). They also have sample pucks that can last up to two-three weeks depending on if you shave daily. Stirling also has a 'sampler pack' where you can choose five different scents...I think that is a good way of trying out Stirling product and would be about three months of shaving soap. Personally, I have about 16 scents that I enjoy, rotate three of them every week so I never get bored with one scent. I have Agar, Barbershop, and Bay Rum out this week...next week will be Triumph, Baker Street, and Shadow Orchid.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Barbershop is a no-brainer. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you're at all a Bay Rum fan, Stirling's nutmeg-heavy take on the scent is addictive. I would never want to be without it now. I'm not a huge gourmand fan as far as shave soap scents go, but I just picked up their Black Cherry bar soap. It's a scent that'll have your mouth watering. Deton-8 and Scarn are also nice...classy scents. You gotta love Stirling...a thread like this will probably have half the forum members making a suggestion. 🤣

Can’t go wrong with Sandpiper.

3886430F-9ECA-4A5B-AE6D-125DD4663119.jpeg

Hello Gentlemen,

I want to thank everyone who recommended Sandpiper. I got it as a gift at Christmas and tried it today, it is absolutely fantastic.

To me it is very masculine right away and has a beautiful cologne character. But what i like the most about it,
is that on the other hand, it has this elegant fougere note which is really dominant in the whole scent.

Sandpiper is definitely not as classic as SDM and goes more in the line of executive man, but way more elegant than the later.

Definitely one of the best scents i have had so far!

Cheers

Top Bottom