What's new

Stirling vs. Proraso.....

I've read threads here regarding Proraso's new formula and how guys don't like it as well. I have noticed that the soap looks different....sort of like Swiss cheese, with hundreds of little holes throughout the product, but I hadn't detected any difference in the smell (Sandalwood version which smells like Old Spice to me) and I was basically satisfied with its performance.....until recently, that is. I'm down near the bottom of the puck, and I've noticed that it seems to be harder to lather lately. In fact, I've switched to my synthetic travel brush b/c it seemed to work up better lather then my regular pure badger.

So, when it came time to order more soap, I decided to abandon my old standby and try to find something better. After carefully studying lots of old threads here and reading some reviews on Maggard's, where I order from, I decided to try Stirling Spice, since one of the best things about Proraso, IMO, was that it reminds me of the Old Spice shaving soap I used when I was in college ages ago. I beg to differ with several reviewers that the SS is a dead ringer for OS....IMO it's not even close. But boy did it perform in every other way!!! I thought the scent was much BETTER, though different, from an OS scent. This was very clean, soapy and refreshing to my nose! The lather was VOLUMES better than the Proraso, even using my badger brush.....I made three complete passes instead of my usual two....and still had to squeeze a good amount out of the brush while cleaning it. I can only imagine how much
more my synthetic will yield! The cushion was good, and the lather very slick....kept my
face very slippery throughout. I got a DFS with hardly any effort at all!

In summing up, I'll continue to use Proraso Cream as my travel soap, as I like the toothpaste-like tube and I don't have to pack my mug along.....BUT, as of today, I consider myself a Stirling Soap fan and customer from now on (or at least until I find something I like better!)!
Hope somebody finds this helpful.....

Stirling is a fantastic soap. Their whole product line is actually quite good. I use their bath soap and have several of their aftershaves in addition to multiple shave soap. Their bergamot lavender is my favorite scent.

Glad to hear you found a new favorite in Sterling's. I recall my first shave with their soap and preferred it to Proraso as well.

That was about 4yrs ago and I still stock Stirling's in my shave den.

Glad to hear you found a new favorite in Sterling's. I recall my first shave with their soap and preferred it to Proraso as well.

That was about 4yrs ago and I still stock Stirling's in my shave den.

Good to know!! Makes me think I made a good choice!!

Stirling definitely beats out Proraso for me too. The only reason I might have Proraso around is because the Red scent is a great sandalwood IMO. Stirling's sandalwood is weaker and much sweeter.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I agree! I think Stirling is one of the best soaps for the price point. 5.8 oz of soap for what they charge is great. And their samples are a great value as well!

Stirling is pretty much the only soap I use anymore. I find the price - performance ratio can't be beat! Plus all the wonderful scents... the only one I haven't gotten along with was Gatlinburg but my son LOVES the scent. Go figure.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Stirling (Rod and Mandy) makes fantastic products. I’ve used their soaps, aftershaves, bath soaps, facial soaps and shampoo bars. Just a top-notch family business with great customer service. Their success is our gain.

I've been a complete Stirling fan for about 3 + years now. I tried a few other soaps but leaned toward Stirling because of the ease of lathering and "slickness" factor. They have a large selection of shave soaps, and now bath too (which I use). Rod and Mandy have built a great little shaving outlet down in the AR woods with numerous shaving and other personal products.

I found Stirling a couple years ago when I was looking for something to replace the Proraso Green tub that I was almost finished with and over 90% of the suggestions were for Stirling. I was looking because although I loved the soap, I didn't care for the residue left behind and it played havoc on my razors and my sink... I will say from the 1st lather I was hooked on Stirling. I found everything I wanted in a shave soap with the different scents and matching after shaves and that has led to so much more!! Now I exclusively use not only the shave soap and after shave, but shampoo bars, bath bars, and heel and palm balm too. Truly a great line of products and very moderately priced as well...

I don't know about Proraso soap, but the tube cream is my go-to beard buster if I go an extra day without shaving. Not only because of the lather but it's VERY oily/slick. That's why I always have some on hand.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I was looking because although I loved the soap, I didn't care for the residue left behind and it played havoc on my razors and my sink...

I use Proraso white more than any other soaps I have, and strongly agree with you about the residue.

Count me in as another Stirling Soap fan ! I started with this really nice collection of samples,
and have settled, for now, on Piacenza and Bay Rum as my two favorites. Margaritas is also
fantastic, but I'll wait until the summer before buying a full tub. My Bay Rum and Piacenza
are seeing quite a lot of use these days, and along with RazoRock Emperor and RazoRock
Tuscan Oud, have become the main four soaps in my current rotation.

IMG_2981.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom