What's new

Stirling Varen: Soap vs EdT Fragrance

So, after my vetiver stint, I have turned to fougères, and am particularly besotted with Martin de Candre Fougère. So much so that I intend to pick up 200ml in the new year.

What I am looking for now is a matching fragrance. As Stirling are (relatively) easy to access here, I thought about the Varen EdT. Rather than blind buy, I picked up a sample of the soap. And while it is a nice fougère, it is quite soapy.

Is the Varen EdT the same scent as the soap?

Bonus question: the other fragrance that I can easily pick up here is Trumpers Wild Fern. Would that be a closer match to MdC?

Haven’t used MDC but I have and very much enjoy the entire Varen lineup including EDT. I don’t smell any soapyness from it. What you are describing may be the mutton base.

Thanks @Cezar - it is not an unpleasant smell, but yes, it makes sense that to my nose the base it overwhelming the fougère notes.

Do you find that is not an issue with the EdT? I would expect that to be a cleaner scent.

I do not find it an issue, but then again the scent of the soap is subtle to my nose and doesn’t bother me at all. Scents are very subjective but I’m pretty confident you will like the EDT. I can recommend the aftershave splash as well.

So, after my vetiver stint, I have turned to fougères, and am particularly besotted with Martin de Candre Fougère. So much so that I intend to pick up 200ml in the new year.

What I am looking for now is a matching fragrance. As Stirling are (relatively) easy to access here, I thought about the Varen EdT. Rather than blind buy, I picked up a sample of the soap. And while it is a nice fougère, it is quite soapy.

Is the Varen EdT the same scent as the soap?

Bonus question: the other fragrance that I can easily pick up here is Trumpers Wild Fern. Would that be a closer match to MdC?
I find the Varen EDT to be less soapy than the soap. I think the scent formula is the same but it really amplifies the smell of the soap base. My 2 cents anyway. The EDT lasts all day, too.

I use the spray more than the soap lately, although now that it's getting on toward winter in this hemisphere I probably will bust out the soap again. The sheep tallow is a little too rich for my face in the summer.

The EDT is reallly oakmoss and lavender forward to my nose. Has an almost flinty dry down. The next day it kind of reminds me of a soft art eraser if that makes sense.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I use the spray more than the soap lately, although now that it's getting on toward winter in this hemisphere I probably will bust out the soap again. The sheep tallow is a little too rich for my face in the summer.

The EDT is reallly oakmoss and lavender forward to my nose. Has an almost flinty dry down. The next day it kind of reminds me of a soft art eraser if that makes sense.
1668475578309.gif

Varen aftershave versus the EDT has been my contest. For me, the splash's scent is preferable to the EDT's and certainly the soap's. EDP or EDT performance is what I wanted, but I'm just getting another bottle of splash in order to use the preferred scent more and more often.

Varen aftershave versus the EDT has been my contest. For me, the splash's scent is preferable to the EDT's and certainly the soap's. EDP or EDT performance is what I wanted, but I'm just getting another bottle of splash in order to use the preferred scent more and more often.
I would buy the Varen aftershave by the gallon if sold that way. I splash it on as a cologne and it lasts several hours.

I would buy the Varen aftershave by the gallon if sold that way.

Or you could go with the 55-gallon drum for a nickel more.

(Oh, wait: that's 7-11.)

Liquid crack does not appear in the ingredients list, but this green juice did cause me to buy a second bottle way sooner than necessary.

The 100 ml flasks travel very well in ACU/cargo/EMT-type side pockets, which makes it easy to take fresh hits as needed.

Top Bottom