What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Wow that’s pretty awesome! Once you find a space for blades that thing is all you’d ever need for travel. And it’s very compact! Nicely done.

figure out a shelf under the AS bottle for a couple blades, leave one in your head and I'd assume you have plenty of room for enough blades. I see the hole in the brush space, does the green tub also have a breather hole under it? seems easy enough to achieve. if you're putting soap on the black top shelf, it looks like you have more depth to exploit on the black main body Looking at the pics, maybe not, for either blade storage and/or more soap volume, with a taller lip to keep the wet soap/residual moisture/suds from infiltrating into the main body. sealing the black lid will allow the container to be tumbled/oriented however you want in luggage.

very cool concept.

figure out a shelf under the AS bottle for a couple blades, leave one in your head and I'd assume you have plenty of room for enough blades. I see the hole in the brush space, does the green tub also have a breather hole under it? seems easy enough to achieve. if you're putting soap on the black top shelf, it looks like you have more depth to exploit on the black main body Looking at the pics, maybe not, for either blade storage and/or more soap volume, with a taller lip to keep the wet soap/residual moisture/suds from infiltrating into the main body. sealing the black lid will allow the container to be tumbled/oriented however you want in luggage.

very cool concept.

There’s only about 1/2mm of clearance that I have to play with under the brush, unfortunately. Current plan is to try and put some blades in a little bank over the aftershave actually, as the compartment is curved on the bottom to accept the bottle. That being said, I may be able to raise the bottle and fit the bank in from the underside, that’s not a bad idea.

The little hole is to accommodate a bump in the middle of the empty Stirling soap container - I’m hesitant to add a breather hole in the container itself, as it can currently be used to bowl larger if needed. To make matters more complicated, the container also has a sloped bottom and sloped sides (it’s not straight).

One of the other features I’m working in is a little o-ring that would better seal the soap dish against the lid, to prevent “moisture seepage”.

The last thing I’m working on involves all of the holes you see (and the threaded hole) - if I can strategically fit in a shaped plate (or somehow turn the blade bank into one), these will hold 24mm long post sections, which will allow the big compartment to also turn into a brush and razor stand when you have arrived/unpacked/assembled it.

Got Piacenza in samples. Had high hopes due to its being like Razorock XXX. I couldn't past the opening fragrance. Somehow like public restroom deodorizer. If anyone I'm around perceived the fragrance the same way, a loser for sure. I did like both Mountain Man and Executive Man, though. As usual, YMMV. My favorite citrus is the late, lamented Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior.
Why is Eau Sauvage lamented?

So, version 2.0 is designed, and incorporates a 3mm high slot to insert blades, as well as a plate that would allow it to assemble into a travel brush/razor stand if you so desired. There’s a little thumb opening under the insert that you can use to push the blades out of the storage area.

Now, onto building the prototype.

D5926664-3068-426C-ABF1-4AE5507AABA8.jpeg 4705AB44-0AA0-4BFE-B869-139A977134D0.jpeg
92B88D46-E4CC-4F38-81C2-D750C389305F.jpeg

Really nice work. I tried to do something similar with a Barrister & Mann and foam, but it never really came together as well as yours.

Today’s update: I’ve taken some time this weekend and RP’d the most recent iteration.

Damn, these tolerances are tight. Even with a 0.1mm layer height on the machine, the blade bank portion thinned the bottom of the aftershave section to the point that it actually made a hole. Oh well, we’ll call that a “creative design change”... I “totally meant” for it to be that way, for “increased ventilation and ease of getting the aftershave out.” Yeah, that’s it :001_302:.

I’ve learned a few things from this version:
- The little bump in the blade bank portion has to go (I had to file it off on this prototype) - it causes too many issues when trying to remove blades.
- The top piece that holds the brush and razor when it’s fully assembled is too slippery, and the brush/razor slides right off if it is moved around. I’ve modified this part to add little lips on the ends that will keep them from falling off in future.

Now that we’re nearly there, and the main form is set, I need to ditch the little plastic placeholders for the vertical pole and get those sorted. My plan is to use 1/4” diameter 10-32 SS standoffs and set screws to make the threaded sections without having to custom machine them from scratch. I’m also going to machine a knurled insert that I can press fit into the base to accept the rods, to avoid threading into and out of the plastic constantly (which is never a good thing for longevity). If all goes well, I’ll try this out for a few weeks and see if there are any small tweaks that I need to make before I put this one to bed and call it done (for this project at least).

A2911840-30BE-4FC1-AEFC-B5D11DDD2A69.jpeg 66FAB560-1F05-4082-8ADF-DEAE89B989EE.jpeg 823AB81E-3716-41BB-8988-ADC0EEBF1A7B.jpegB3B35A20-9235-44EC-B1BE-B8BAB1EBBBFC.jpeg

I am totally enthralled by your work here. I would buy several if these were for sale somewhere. One for me and one for each of the guys I’ve recruited to wet shaving.

Maybe we need a kickstarter or something .......

Very, very cool.

I am totally enthralled by your work here. I would buy several if these were for sale somewhere. One for me and one for each of the guys I’ve recruited to wet shaving.

Maybe we need a kickstarter or something .......

Very, very cool.

Excellent stuff! I would be in on the Kick, for sure!

Top Bottom