What's new

Stirling Syndicate

I had to double check. Actually, beef tallow is the first ingredient in both the bath bar and the shaving soap
Ok, yeah Stirling says that, and he says the smell changes temporarily from being cut off from air for so long so I should:
1. Bloom it- didn't change
2. Leave uncovered- we'll see

Had a decent shave today, probably borderline DFS.

Pre- Proraso Green
Razor: That Baili Adjustable Stirling sells. So far so good, though it's hard to hold with even slightly moist fingers.
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Stirling Glacial Wintergreen
After: Stirling Eucalyptus Mint (I'm wary of splashes, this was the closest balm I could find that pairs well with Wintergreen)

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think I needed a more aggressive razor for smoother shaves. I had that adjustable turned all the way up (And Rod mentioned in the description of that Baili razor that it's highest setting is still mild compared to other adjustable razors), and while there's a few rough spots I ended up with smooth results overall.

Stirling does sell "#2"s. Those are soaps that don't meet their quality control but a still serviceable. I have a lime #2 and it's great. That being said Stirling is definitely aware that soap batches can vary and being a small company want to retain customers. By all means reach out to them, I'd bet they'll do their best to make it right. I do have the Executive Man shave soap and like it very much. I do not, however, own the bath bar to compare it to.
From what I have read, it isn’t just the small companies that have variations from batch to batch. I have seen comments that Aqua di Parma and Creed Aventus have variations between batches. I don’t have personal experience since both are more expensive, by a lot, than I am currently willing to spend.

From what I have read, it isn’t just the small companies that have variations from batch to batch. I have seen comments that Aqua di Parma and Creed Aventus have variations between batches. I don’t have personal experience since both are more expensive, by a lot, than I am currently willing to spend.
Of the 50+ fragrances I own and enjoy, Creed Aventus has to be the most inconsistent, overhyped, overpriced, underwhelming let down of them all. Brutal. I am convinced that no product has even a small fraction of the number of shills pushing this snake oil. I am embarrassed to have been sucked into its vortex of hype.

As for Stirling, in general, it is the polar opposite - underpriced gems. Aventus does not deserve to be uttered in the same paragraph as Stirling.

All IMHO of course.

Last edited:
20230128_151128.jpeg

🤩

Of the 50+ fragrances I own and enjoy, Creed Aventus has to be the most inconsistent, overhyped, overpriced, underwhelming let down of them all. Brutal. I am convinced that no product has even a small fraction of the number of shills pushing this snake oil. I am embarrassed to have been sucked into its vortex of hype.

As for Stirling, in general, it is the polar opposite - underpriced gems. Aventus does not deserve to be uttered in the same paragraph as Stirling.

All IMHO of course.
Couldn't disagree move about the Creed Aventus scent (my wife too!). Couldn't agree more about Stirling! But that's what's lovely about this journey. We get to find out what we like. And Stirling, no matter what the scent, is a standout, absolute gem of a company. I am a committed, loyal customer (I gobble up the Coconut Lime bath soap and shampoo soap every year--it's shower candy to me).

Fwiw, I am really digging the Stirling Bonafide aftershave that I bought. It's a riff on Prada l'Homme I believe. I have a list of five cologne scents (that I have not found in a 'quality' shaving product but would like to) that I'd like to try, and that's one of them. A real winner. For those who care, the 5:
(1) Prada l’homme
(2) Dylan blue
(3) Dolce Gabbana the one
(4) Acqua di Giò Profumo
(5) Roja Elysium

In the end, a nice simple but pure lavender, sandalwood, and even bay rum always makes me happy too. YMMV.

How would you describe Gentlemen?
I’ll try, as Stirling Gentleman has long been my favorite. It’s a perfect blend of amber, rich tobacco leaf, and musk. The amber is not too dry, like some ambers. The tobacco is a deep, aged leaf type, (as opposed to a sweet, floral tobacco flower like Haverford or Tabac). The musk is civilized, lurking at the bottom just enough to give it some sex appeal gravitas.

But through all those rather dark, potentially “dirty” notes, there is a crisp, clean, soapy note that makes the overall blend very “gentlemanly”.

Truly a masterfully designed fragrance.

To contrast it with Stirling Haverford, Rod & Mandy’s “Parks & Rec” theme works perfectly. Haverford is the type of fragrance Tom Haverford would wear. While sipping a decaf soy latte. Almost cloyingly sweet floral tobacco.

Gentleman is what Ron Swanson would wear. While sipping Lagavulin, in a canoe he built himself.

Also, Stirling Gentleman is up there with Pinaud Clubman as the longest lasting aftershave on the market. YMMV, but on me, Gentleman is cologne strength and lasts all day. I actually use it more as a daily wear fragrance than an after shave product!

Last edited:
@YHWH - I’m describing the aftershaves, not the soaps. As you found out, different products in the same fragrance line smell different, to a greater or lesser extent: Proraso shave soap smells different from Proraso A/S splash. So does Fine; so does Stirling, etc.

I’ve found very few SOAPS that didn’t smell nice for the few minutes I’m shaving or showering with them, so I’m not as picky with soap. But an aftershave or edt that sticks around all day, that’s where I need to be sure I like the frag! And there have definitely been some surprises over the years, where I ordered the A/S or edt of a fragrance based on liking the soap, only to find the juice less appealing.

sotd 3-2

Lovely shave today, the Sheep keeps delivering, very nice soap.

Blackland razors Vector SS SB
Schick Proline P (6)
Mühle Silver Tip Fibre M
Stirling Sheep
Balea Sensitive ASB
Calvin Klein Man edt

proxy.php
Very nice, I'm guessing that you like the
Calvin Klein Man edt
can you tell us why please?

Very nice, I'm guessing that you like the
Calvin Klein Man edt
can you tell us why please?
This one is very affordable and has a fresh, not too heavy scent, which I like very much. Others in the same catogory for example are Jil Sander - Sun Men or Davidoff - Adventure for example

View attachment 1380984

I really like this Smoky Grapefruit. Smells exactly as advertised and this is one of those soaps made with Essential Oils. 3 oz Soap in 4 Oz tub is nice too with appropriate pricing
Question for you (or anyone who recalls)...

Do you remember when Smoky Grapefruit releases? I thought it was January, but I haven't gotten word of a winter release from Stirling. When I went to the site, the scent appears to not exist. I hope I am wrong, it is a great scent. I had a bar soap in this and wanted to grab a shaving soap, now.

Thanks to any and all who can help shed some light on this.

tempImagem9eCKS.jpg

It took a while to pull the trigger on buying a soap that smells like black licorice, but I'm glad I did! It is so refreshing, and the very dark color of the soap makes it easy to see when I've loaded everything off the bottom of the lathering bowl. This soap is creeping up there among some favorites right now.

Top Bottom