What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Is there a point to a dedicated witch hazel/aloe treatment when Stirling balms have those ingredients in them?
I think it depends on your post-shave routine. Personally, I typically use balms to calm my skin or alleviate situational dryness.

My first step after rinsing is to apply an HLA followed shortly by Keihl's Blue Astringent which contains both Alcohol and Witch Hazel. HLA while the face is still damp, Astringent after my station has been cleared and put away.

I have found that this closes and tightens my face like nothing else I have tried.
I don't see harm in using additional splash or balm containing WH, but I could probably stop my process here in all honesty.

Aloe in its own right is a fabulous addition to heal the skin...

I’ve used thayers WH in the past but, much like alum, I found no real benefit to it. YMMV as they say. I’ve since simplified my post shave routine and I’m getting great results. After a shave I rinse off with cold water and apply aftershave splash of choice to my still wet face. In the winter when my skin has a tenancy to get dry, I follow up with a balm a couple minutes after the splash. That’s all.
If you use a good quality soap and the shave itself is good, you shouldn’t need a lot of post shave care for your skin to feel great.

I’ve used thayers WH in the past but, much like alum, I found no real benefit to it. YMMV as they say. I’ve since simplified my post shave routine and I’m getting great results. After a shave I rinse off with cold water and apply aftershave splash of choice to my still wet face. In the winter when my skin has a tenancy to get dry, I follow up with a balm a couple minutes after the splash. That’s all.
If you use a good quality soap and the shave itself is good, you shouldn’t need a lot of post shave care for your skin to feel great.
I’ve found that witch hazel is good for my skin. If I use it regularly then miss a day or two I can feel and see the difference. But it’s one of those things that’s a coin toss for usefulness for most people. I will agree that using a good quality soap and a razor/blade combination that works well for your face/skin type will help cut down on the need for post shave care

78AD79BC-185D-4593-8E1F-30B64078DBDA.jpeg

SotD_12_26_2022.jpg

New Holiday Gear Week

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengall"
Razor: P.A.A. La Criatura
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum

Soap: Stirling Soap Company - Mediterranean Man
Brush: Heritage Collection - Ever Ready
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Part 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Company - Faskally
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

I'm a very lucky man as my lady surprised me on Christmas with more than a few amazing shaving items. What else can I say but that I'm blessed to have her ❤️.

In honor of New Holiday Gear Week, I'm using a few new bits of gear. The Stirling Soap Company Mediterranean Man soap and the Phoenix Shaving La Criatura were both gifts from my love and the brush was a gift from a shaving buddy.

The soap's scent is inspired by Creed Eurolfa and smells outright amazing! It's bright, clean, and it's a real winner in my book. You really can't go wrong with this one. Stirling did a superb job.

I did my normal (for now) with and across on my face with the Bengall and an against-the-grain pass on my neck before switching to the Phoenix Shaving La Criatura open comb slant.

Boy was this nifty little slant fun. Clearly, it's lightweight but with a light touch, this razor hums. I did multiple passes just for the fun of it and earn a beautiful bbs shave.

Oh, and the Ever Ready was really sweet. Its high mountain white badge hair was soft and gelled perfectly. It really was a pleasure to use.

I topped things off with some Stirling Soap Company Faskally aftershave and couldn't be happier.

I hope you all had a great Christmas / Hanukkah or start to Kwanzaa. I feel blessed for my loved ones and for all of my brothers here at B&B.

Cheers!

I stopped using Stirling products for a while because a lot of scents, not just Stirling's, were irritating my nose. I decided to take a chance and ordered some Sharp Dressed Man, and some unscented Sheep soap. I did just fine with Sharp Dressed Man. The scent actually dissipated long before I finished the puck. Then I tried the Sheep. Wow! that's great soap! I may have found a new favorite.

80A1A87B-A9A2-4192-99AA-43F50B639F0F.jpeg

Razor: Atelier DURDAN "Le Maurice" (dual-comb 1.2 gap, brass)
Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless (D3)

Soap: Stirling Soap Company - Deton-8
Brush: Omega Boar 10005/80005
Bowl: Cobalt Blue Tillamook

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

My soap choice was the new to me, Denton-8 by Stirling Soap Company. This soap's scent is inspired by Spicebomb from Viktor & Rolf and is well, bomb! If you know me, you know that I just love cologne inspired soap scents and this one is right up my alley.

Rock on gentlemen and enjoy your shaves!

3C85940E-797D-41CC-8D2F-F27988953456.jpeg

New Holiday Gear/New Year Theme Week / BADGERary

Razor: T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengall"
Razor: Blackland Dart (polished #24)
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (D3)

Soap: Stirling Soap Company - Bash
Brush: Heritage Collection - Ever-Ready
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2 : Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Company - Bash

Overflowing with optimism and hope for this new year (2023) I opted for what is currently my favorite shave. This shave is meant to bring feelings of confidence and joy for the change to come....

There's no way to not earn a bbs shave when the Bengall and Dart are tag-teaming. They're both just so effective and efficient. I really love this combo and when the Dart is paired with a Personna Platinum Chrome blade, efficiency is guaranteed.

I used my Heritage Collection badger brush, which will be featured a lot this BADGERary month, to whip up a healthy bowl of Bash lather. The white high mountain badger hair is velvety soft and willingly released epic amounts of rich amber, vanilla Bash lather.

I have to tell you though that this soap's scent is freakin' amazing! I'm so glad I was able to score this set and will try to snatch a bottle of Grand Soir (EdP) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, which is what this soap is based on but this will be tough as it's quite pricey.

So there you have it my friends, my first glorious shave of 2023. It was a good one!

I want to wish you all a very healthy and happy new year. One filled with love and prosperity.

Take care my friends and enjoy your shaves!

Top Bottom