What's new

Stirling Syndicate

3F1F8AA7-D61C-4FFC-90A4-B61F9220A275.jpeg

Exploration Blade PIF / European Week / NOCvember

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 (barley chrome)
Blade: Eddison Super Stainless (5)

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Haverford
Brush: Vie-Long B0270924

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Post 3: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid
Finish: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Keeping with European Week I went with my long-time English friend in the Edwin Jagger DE89. This was the very first double edge razor I ever bought. The one that started it all for me 10+ years ago.

I also choose my Spanish Vie-Long horse brush which I tend to often use along side the always wondered Stirling Soap Company, Haverford shaving soap. This brush and soap combo never fail to provide me an enjoyable shave.

I did a three-pass shave and was quite surprised at how well the EJ DE89 performed when paired with the Eddison Super Stainless blade on its fifth use. I ended up with an easy bbs shave. I mean, this blade just won't quite. That and/or the DE89 is just that good!

For the love of Haverford and Tobacco Vanille, I can't recommend the scent enough. Just beautiful, manly and strong.

All in all, another great shave was had today.

Rock on gentlemen and enjoy your shaves.

09FB1C30-4E68-422A-B03C-A85EB11E2046.jpeg

Discovery Blade PIF / European Week / NOCvember

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/Cube Dock

Razor: T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengall"
Razor: Gillette Rocket (English, 1947-1950)
Blade: Eddison Super Stainless

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Executive Man
Brush: Vikings Blade White Knight
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Proraso / Pinaud Lilac Vegital
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

So here we have it. The day has finally come. My very first shave with a straight razor. Yep, I asked for this. So without further ado...

I figured I'd go with some Stirling Soap Company Executive Man soap today for a couple reasons. One, I knew I could rely on this soap to provide me some really good slickness and the protection I need. Or at least most of the protection I need. And two, because I think seeing the name "Executive Man" gave me so sort of, (unquantifiable) confidence boost. Either way, I had my mind made up. I'm doing this today!

As I'm right handed, I started on the right side of my face. This positioning felt the most comfortable. I was pretty easily able to just jump right in and clear the right side of any whiskers. This was good! Using the straight did feel a little weird in hand though. The extension of the razor from my hand as a tool, is definitely a "feel" that will take some time and experience to get comfortable with. This is because shaving with a straight is a new fine-motor skill for me. I definitely have some growing to do. This is all fine and dandy though as I've been looking forward to this new challenge.

I proceeded to tackle the left side of my face in an even more awkward way, but never the less I got the job done. The process on this side took longer and was a little more choppy, for lack of a better term, but in the end the results were the same as my right side.

I did go on and do a with-the-grain pass on my upper lip, lower lip, chin and entire neck area. I did not dare go any further after this.

I didn't have any major bleeding which was fantastic! I did however end up with a couple superficial "lines" in my face with some very light bleeding. Nothing worse than sticking through a full shave with a double edge blade of unknown number of uses, only to find out it's way past its useful life.

I continued on using the beautiful English Gillette Rocket for my across the grain and against the grain passes. This was all easy peasy for me but enjoyable none the less.

I finished things off with some Proraso aftershave but due to reasons I showered shortly after shaving the so once out I decided to switch things up and opt for some Lilac Vegital.

Long story short this was a unique and eventful shave to say the least and I'm looking forward to building my skill with this form of shaving.

Enjoy your shaves gentlemen.

I ordered an Oud Sigma EDT... have been leaning towards other soaps lately but can always use another woodsy fragrance. Unfortunately I discovered during my shave this morning that my sense of smell is completely gone (day 5 of covid) so fingers crossed that it will be back by the time I get it!

Electric Sheep yesterday - as a stick - and the wife like the smell... which was a surprise. Good stuff, amusing label & i'm a fan of Philip K. Dick (i'm waiting for a soap named "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said" ) - maybe a bit soft to use as a stick on its own, mixing with some hard soap Mitchell's wool fat would be perfect i reckon... but i'll give it another go tomorrow.
Today was a stick of PdeP 63 with Sterling sheep mix...

IMG_4599.JPG

Electric Sheep yesterday - as a stick - and the wife like the smell... which was a surprise. Good stuff, amusing label & i'm a fan of Philip K. Dick (i'm waiting for a soap named "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said" ) - maybe a bit soft to use as a stick on its own, mixing with some hard soap Mitchell's wool fat would be perfect i reckon... but i'll give it another go tomorrow.
Today was a stick of PdeP 63 with Sterling sheep mix...

View attachment 1562424

The Phillip K. Dick line of Stirling shaving soap especially needs to have one named Blade Runner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom