What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Thanks, I'm a face lathering junkie and I hope I can get decent lather to work with.
I too am a face lather junkie, it's easy to get good lather from Stirling soaps. For reference, I use Rod's (Stirling soap company's co-owner) video of what a good lather should look like. Check it out on YouTube, in addition to a lot of sources, I prefer the artisan themselves to tell what their product is capable of.

I too am a face lather junkie, it's easy to get good lather from Stirling soaps. For reference, I use Rod's (Stirling soap company's co-owner) video of what a good lather should look like. Check it out on YouTube, in addition to a lot of sources, I prefer the artisan themselves to tell what their product is capable of.
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Do their soaps play nice with preshaves?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A bit off the topic for this thread, though I have some Sterling Unscented with Beeswax soap that is very good.... I have seen photos of some Sterling handles from a DE razor they developed a while ago.

I emailed them about purchasing the handles for this razor, i.e., the Dallas and the Austin handles, separately. They got back to me in short order and I was able to buy both of them.... though they are out of the Dallas in perfect condition. They do have some lightly scratched ones for 50% off.

Coconut Lime kind of day.

20230102_100010.jpg

I’m a newcomer to the world of wet shaving. I dove right in with a head shave as my first DE shave ever. In fact, I hadn’t shaved my head before. That was early October 2022.

Not for face latherers, but I bought the inexpensive plastic Stirling bowl featured in this Stirling lathering video, as a travel bowl.

Little did I know that that plastic, foldable bowl would replace my beautiful, hand made, locally crafted, artisan scuttle and shave bowl as my daily driver.

I went from struggling to get great lather, to legendary levels.

I have 2 Stirling brushes too. Also excellent. Replaced my very expensive badger brush I bought with the artisan vessels.

And the beauty of it all is that like the Stirling soaps, aftershaves, balms and EdTs, the bowl and brushes were shockingly inexpensive.

Stirling rocks.

I’m a newcomer to the world of wet shaving. I dove right in with a head shave as my first DE shave ever. In fact, I hadn’t shaved my head before. That was early October 2022.

Not for face latherers, but I bought the inexpensive plastic Stirling bowl featured in this Stirling lathering video, as a travel bowl.

Little did I know that that plastic, foldable bowl would replace my beautiful, hand made, locally crafted, artisan scuttle and shave bowl as my daily driver.

I have 2 Stirling brushes too. Also excellent. Replaced my very expensive badger brush I bought with the artisan vessels.

And the beauty of it all is that like the Stirling soaps, aftershaves, balms and EdTs, the bowl and brushes were shockingly inexpensive.

Stirling rocks.
I agree, seeing Mr. Lovan’s video was an eye opener for me. Previously I had puck/face lathered, as my ceramic bowl attempts were less than stellar.

I happened to find that same collapsable bowl (but without the nubs) at a grocery store, while I was still debating about getting the one from Stirling. I figured I’d try it. Lo and behold, I am now a bowl latherer! Using Rod’s method it works like a charm.

I agree, seeing Mr. Lovan’s video was an eye opener for me. Previously I had puck/face lathered, as my ceramic bowl attempts were less than stellar.

I happened to find that same collapsable bowl (but without the nubs) at a grocery store, while I was still debating about getting the one from Stirling. I figured I’d try it. Lo and behold, I am now a bowl latherer! Using Rod’s method it works like a charm.
Rod’s collapsible shave bowl is $6! Grab it too if the opportunity arises! As a daily driver, it’s been pretty much perfect. My artisan vessels look on with jealousy…

Stirling rocks.
Agreed 100%. Stirling makes fantastic products across the board that punch well above their price point. Other higher end, luxury artisans will charge you much more for their products, sometimes several times more. In my experience I get every bit as good a shave from Stirling. I like to have some variety in my den, but if value for money is your priority, you really need not look anywhere else.

Rod’s collapsible shave bowl is $6! Grab it too if the opportunity arises! As a daily driver, it’s been pretty much perfect. My artisan vessels look on with jealousy…

Absolutely! I have the Rod’s bowl on my list for my next order! This was an impulse buy, since it was right there on the shelf in front of me (and also $6).

So should I add water to the soap container b4 loading my Bruce for the first time tonight in order to face paint? 🤔
I am NOT an expert, by any stretch, but I usually wet the puck first. Does it make a difference? I have no idea. I figure it can’t hurt.

I don't tub/jar load much anymore but when I did, I would let a very thin layer of water rest on the top of the soap for a minute or two before loading my brush. Not a lot of water and not for a very long time. Just a little to "bloom" the scent.

I bowl lather now and to bloom the soap I smash at the bottom of my bowls. Again, only a little water and only for a couple of minutes at most.

Protip - if you tub/jar load, let it dry out an hour or two before sealing it back up. You don't want to trap a lot of water in the jar.

I've been loading from my Stirling tubs for going on 7yrs now and have "never" felt the need to either add water to the tub prior to loading and or wait to close the tub and put it back in the cabinet!!

I usually start out with a very damp synthetic brush to load and swirl the brush for maybe 30-40 seconds or until the top layer becomes pasty and then I remove with my finger anything that came out of the tub, around the inner lip, and across the top of the tub and take whatever I remove and wipe my finger across my cheeks and use that to aid in face lathering. By the time I finish shaving the top of the soap is pretty much dry so I can close the tub up and put it away...

I have never had any problems building a lather from there adding some water to the tips of my brush a few times as I'm lathering until I get a semi-wet yogurt type texture every time...

I've been loading from my Stirling tubs for going on 7yrs now and have "never" felt the need to either add water to the tub prior to loading and or wait to close the tub and put it back in the cabinet!!

I usually start out with a very damp synthetic brush to load and swirl the brush for maybe 30-40 seconds or until the top layer becomes pasty and then I remove with my finger anything that came out of the tub, around the inner lip, and across the top of the tub and take whatever I remove and wipe my finger across my cheeks and use that to aid in face lathering. By the time I finish shaving the top of the soap is pretty much dry so I can close the tub up and put it away...

I have never had any problems building a lather from there adding some water to the tips of my brush a few times as I'm lathering until I get a semi-wet yogurt type texture every time...
I feel like your comment is in response to mine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To clarify I didn't say anyone has to do what I do. To each their own. I don't think adding water ahead of time is necessary by any means. I simply do it to bloom the scent.

I still recommend that everyone let their soap dry out a bit before closing the lid but again, to each their own.

A few drops of water spread evenly over the surface for a minute or two will make it easier to load with a soft synthetic brush in my experience. Perhaps not entirely necessary, but it works well for me. YMMV.
And yes, I always let the soap dry before closing it up and putting it away.
I’ve heard of mould developing in tubs of shaving soap that have been mishandled. I’ve never had any such issues.

I have used today The Sharp Dressed Man again. The brush was a RR Plissoft. Excellent lather, excellent brush. I didn't bloom the soap, just went ahead and loaded it. The Plissoft has very little backbone, but it loaded just fine.

P.s.: I load my soaps fairly dry, with the least amount of water that is necessary for a good load, then add water while lathering up on my face.

Top Bottom