What's new

Stirling ST and HA razors

Anybody still using either of these razors? I bought one of the China-made ones on a whim, thinking I would hate it. While it IS a lot more blade forward than my usual favorite razors, I found that by going very shallow and using a very light touch I could get a really great shave from this razor.

This morning I decided to see if I could get away with a single pass shave before work, since I know I am going to shave again on Saturday night.

Well, I could, but I didn't. I did two passes. After a single pass I had a CCS and shaving four times a week I think it was close enough. I got a tiny bit of irritation on the low neck with the second pass, so another reason to stop after one, I guess.

Anyway, long story short, this was an unexpected positive purchase. I was just curious as to whether anybody else still has either one in the rotation, and, if so, what you think of it. Anybody using this as their main razor?

I misinterpreted your post at first read thinking that a clone had been made of the Stirling razors and then realized you were referring to the initial batch that they decided not to sell at first because of the "made in America" thing they went through in trying to get it machined.

I really like the Stirling SS razor. I own two of the originals (e.g., Made in America ones) and one of the Chinese made later release all with both plates. That's probably more than I really need, but sometimes when I find a razor I think I like, I'll buy an extra.

I like aggressive razors and the results I can get from a light touch and just a pass or two. I tend to rotate the Stirling with my Wolfman WR2 1.65. I like both of the Stirling base plates and which one I choose is largely a function of how much growth I have and how I am feeling on each occasion, but the HA definitely requires a touch more focus.

It definitely falls in to the category of one of my main razors and is one of only a couple that pretty much permanently stay on my bathroom counter. I would like to find a better stand for it. The Fort Worth handle fits pretty well in a cheap stand I bought on Ali.

I purchased the Stirling ST. It really is too efficient/effective for me. The best method for me is a shallow angle shave (I.e. ride the cap) with no additional pressure. In 2-3 passes, I tend to over shave and develop irritation over the course of 2-3 days.

Very well designed and manufactured razor.

I may try again in the future.

I've bought the HA version recently, but it will take a while before it arrives and I can use it. At $70 for such iconic razor is a no brainer and I always wanted to have something crazy efficient to my collection. I have to admit though that the handles look very odd and I've decided to go with the Austin handle. I'm probably going to use the head with the Maggard MR1 handle as usual, but we will see.

I love aggressive razors. R41, Icon Tech and CG lvl3 are daily drivers. The HA is a couple steps above. The first batch were a snug fit and Rob sent me an email to exchange it. No way I was going to take a chance on getting a head milder. I still use it when I have time to spare. I also cut the guard off of a GC which seems safer use that I alternate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Picked up the HA and ST heads while still available.

The ST provides a very accessible shave.

The HA is an efficiency monster and a lot of fun to (carefully) use. :)

I've bought the HA version recently, but it will take a while before it arrives and I can use it. At $70 for such iconic razor is a no brainer and I always wanted to have something crazy efficient to my collection. I have to admit though that the handles look very odd and I've decided to go with the Austin handle. I'm probably going to use the head with the Maggard MR1 handle as usual, but we will see.
I agree, the handles are a little odd. I also think their uniqueness has a certain charm. The handles seem well crafted to me, and the grip points function well, but the designs seem "rustic" for lack of a better word. I started off with the Dallas handle, and I like where the grip points are on it, but found it a little heavy. I've since switched to the Fort Worth. It's a little bit lighter and still has decent grip for my tastes.

I LOVE the Austin handle. I think it is fantastic.

I used the ST for my shave today. One pass was SAS. I did an incomplete second pass... like an extended touch-up and called it good. Used a new blade today. Light pressure and a shallow angle leads to good results.

I think if he had made the ST with the same gap it currently has but with a tiny bit less exposure it would be one of my favorite razors ever.

I purchased the Stirling ST. It really is too efficient/effective for me. The best method for me is a shallow angle shave (I.e. ride the cap) with no additional pressure. In 2-3 passes, I tend to over shave and develop irritation over the course of 2-3 days.

Very well designed and manufactured razor.

I may try again in the future.
If you decide to let go of it, I am in need of the ST head, but would buy a full set & release my HA into the wild.

I LOVE the Austin handle. I think it is fantastic.

I used the ST for my shave today. One pass was SAS. I did an incomplete second pass... like an extended touch-up and called it good. Used a new blade today. Light pressure and a shallow angle leads to good results.

I think if he had made the ST with the same gap it currently has but with a tiny bit less exposure it would be one of my favorite razors ever.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Just a wee bit less exposure.

20240121_141142-01-01-01-01.jpeg
I had a marvelous Sunday shave today with the Stirling Hyper Aggressive baseplate. If memory serves me right this has been the best shave I've ever had with the Hyper Aggressive baseplate to date. Essentially a one pass shave with touchups on the jawline. Two days worth of growth literaly vanished. Almost BBS, not one single weeper. Calm skin 💯.
20240121_161423.jpg

Ending up with some pink lather is not a rarity with this crazy razor ( I blame the blade exposure more than the gap, btw). Not today.👍🏻 As another surprise, I didn’t feel much feedback from the AS.

Regarding the initial question of the OP @kingfisher I wouldn't want either of the two baseplates of the Stirling razor to be my daily driver (same goes for the excellent Wolfman WR2 1.65, btw @3oclockShadow), although the ST baseplate doesn't shave as recklessly as the HA sibbling, but I'll keep this razor in my rotation. Shaving with this razor is a challenge - but today the shave was a delight 🤩

Last edited:
I also bought the Chinese made Sterling HA and ST with 2 of the 3 handles available. I liked it so much when the last of the razors were running low I bought another HA razor with the other handle I didn’t have.

The only other razor I have used that matches the efficiency/aggression of the HA plate is the Timeless Bronze.78 OC. I have a number of other razors that I really enjoy using, but none as efficient/aggressive as these two.

I have one and haven't used it in forever. It scares me just to look at it, I only have the standard plate and I don't know how anyone could survive the HA

I have one and haven't used it in forever. It scares me just to look at it, I only have the standard plate and I don't know how anyone could survive the HA
Yeah. Even the ST is very blade-forward and very aggressive. I use replaceable blade straights all the time and the ST has more blade feel than any of my open-blade razors.

I also bought the Chinese made Sterling HA and ST with 2 of the 3 handles available. I liked it so much when the last of the razors were running low I bought another HA razor with the other handle I didn’t have.

The only other razor I have used that matches the efficiency/aggression of the HA plate is the Timeless Bronze.78 OC. I have a number of other razors that I really enjoy using, but none as efficient/aggressive as these two.
The Bronze .78OC is the end level big boss in my game of razors. This bronze beast bites. It bites out of the nothing. Persistantly. It's a mean shaver.
But... I'll master this thing one day, though.😅

The Stirling razor with the HA has a crazy large blade gap and sports a lot of blade feel, no doubt. But the Stirling razor is not as blood thirsty as the wicked Bronze. In terms of efficiency, the Stirling HA shines and wipes the floor with every other razor I have ever shaved with (perhaps 90-100, I've lost count). It's literally the one pass shaver everyone is talking about.

If you have your technique down the Stirling HA is not terrifying. There's a learning curve, though. The ST plate feels like a walk in the park in comparison... 😜😎

Top Bottom