What's new

Stirling Soaps Vs. PAA, A&E etc. and Pricing Bias

When Ruds started doing his videos in 2015, his rating system reflected the soaps that were available at that time. The "average soap rated around 85 with soaps ranging from 68 - 90. Over time, artisans began to improve the quality of their soaps. Jason tried to keep the same rating system that he had used from the beginning. Finally, soaps became so good that they rated 100 and even higher. Finally, soaps got so good that he gave up. If he had kept going, I suspect we would see soaps like Ariana & Evans K2e, Barrister & Mann Omnibus, Ethos Grooming Essentials F Base, and Grooming Dept Kairos SE with ratings around 110. They are that good.

Personally, I love the soaps that Ruds rated high on his scale, but I can understand why some people might have differing opinions. Everything in wet shaving is YMMV, so use what you like.
I've been watching Rud since you rec. him. He gave Stirling Noir and another one an 88 and a 91.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I like Stirling but as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread I can smell the base, no big deal, but they got rid of Spice so that ends that.

Stirling Soaps I’d reach for versus my big artisans Wholly Kaw, B&M or PAA are their mutton tallows, things like Scots Pine Sheep or Varen. The designer cologne clone scents don’t interest me as much but there’s some bangers in their line for sure.
I’m a fan of their pre shave soaps and bath bar soaps as well.

I have only been wet shaving for 10 years so still feel I'm fairly new to it in these forums. What I have noticed being in many different forums and groups in wet shaving is a couple things. First there is a group of people who landed on a few soaps they liked and never adventured out from those soaps and have no drive to do so. I have also noticed that there is a "fanboy" affect with every soap, brush and razor alike. You see it with guys saying I can't imagine spending $300 on a new razor. You see it with some people saying that they can't imagine spending $30 on a soap. This trend goes on and becomes an echo chamber. You will even see it with Sterling and this is normal human behavior and you see it in every hobby and topic.

Sterling is one of the soaps on my list I still have not tried enough of it. These days we are spoiled with how many good soap bases there are. The more soaps I have tried the more I realize how bad some of the older ones I thought where amazing are. For me a good soap has to be slick, dense lather, smell amazing and leave a great post shave feel. Any less than that and it does not make my rotation list. It can still be a good soap but as soap bases advance just like any consumer goods so does the standard of the new "good". For me price is a factor but not a really huge factor as when I think of daily expenses wet shaving is on the lower end of that even with higher end soaps and hardware.

One soap I think of that is in your neck of the woods is HAGS. You rarely see it in most groups or forums but man is it really good. Also with today's abundance of great soap artisans and some very unique scents I can't stick to one brand. I need to pick up a couple of used tubs of Sterling to give them a shot in my rotation. Their "Apple Cider" is a unique scent that yells at me!!!

Happy Shavings
Dave

If I'm being honest, I'm a huge fan of Rod and what he's accomplished with Stirling Soap Company.

A case can be made that other soap bases are "better" but even if that were proven so, Stirling's shave soaps ARE a fantastic shave soap. If you've used it there really isn't an argument here. When built correctly the lather is very slick, smells great and cost much less than the competition. Stirling Soap Company really is the quality, value king.

I myself have soaps from other artisans and various high production brands. This is because I thrive on variety. Button line is I'm far too curious and inquisitive to stick to one brand. I have to mix things up and keep it interesting. So, I explorer and try other brands all the time. Truth be told though, I've yet to come across a shaving soap that left me feeling negative in any way. Maybe it's just my personally but I just appreciate and focus on the positives, whatever they are. Not all are perfect or even comparable to each other, but that's okay. As is life, you don't often appreciate what you have until it's gone. Variety helps you appreciate the differences.

Long story short, I think Stirling is rad! It's a really good brand owned by honest, trustworthy, respectful people. Even my lady likes the brand. She questions me when I show interest in other brands and wonders why I don't just stick with them.

Anyway, I'm going to continue to explore shave soaps from brands that are foreign to me because that's just what I do, but will continue to add Stirling's products to my collection. For sure!

To each their own I say. Live and let live. They're are so many good choices afforded to us at this point in the wet shaving hobby. Why nitpick about it.

Use what YOU like, and enjoy YOUR shaves.

P.S. If you're a fan of Stirling Soap Company, come join the Stirling Syndicate thread. You're all more than welcome.

I find the mutton base of Sterling to be very good and while the regular beef is also quite decent, it's nothing mindblowing. For those who want a good soap at a great price I think Stirling is one of the best options.

We all know that not everyone settles with ''good enough'' and it's understandable for people to want something much better or the best possible. Although I have tried only a few of the so called ''best'' soaps, I find the B&M Omnibus and Softheart bases to be the best I've ever used (so far) with the mutton Stirling being a close second.

In general, I can shave even with some of the most inexpensive soaps and creams and that doesn't bother me that much, but I can't ignore the ratio between value and quality. For instance, Proraso soaps and creams are nice, but given their price ($10-$15), I'd rather pay no more than $5 more and buy something much better and get the best bang for the buck. It's like in a poker game where you have three of a kind, which is very good, but four of a kind is much better.

For instance, Proraso soaps and creams are nice, but given their price ($10-$15), I'd rather pay no more than $5 more and buy something much better and get the best bang for the buck.

Can’t blame ya, for that price I wouldn’t either. But over here in Europe the Proraso cream is under 5€, in Italy less than 3€ I believe. That’s a banger value.

Can’t blame ya, for that price I wouldn’t either. But over here in Europe the Proraso cream is under 5€, in Italy less than 3€ I believe. That’s a banger value.

I'm also from Europe and the Proraso line is indeed much cheaper. The US soaps are obviously a bit more expensive, but still within a reasonable price range

I consider myself a very pleased customer of this brand. I'd have no issues to shave with their soaps for the rest of my life. Excellent slickness, cushion, nice scents - and very reasonably priced. Other brands might offer better post shave qualities... But tbh, personally, I don't mind.

I can't recall a bad shave with Stirling soap, though I'm not a fan of every scent. But in their large lineup everyone should find a likeable scent (get a sample, if in doubt...).

Their customer service is nothing short of excellent.

What's not to like here...?

Cheers!

Stirling is a good soap, at a good value, that's presented without hype and hysteria like some other manufacturers with a less than stellar history, who shall remain nameless.
Every manufacturer has a hard core fanboy base, some more than others for various reasons including encouragement from the manufacturer.
It seems that Stirling just continues to put out good product at a good price point.
Let knuckleheads pay premium prices thinking that price is a single point unmistakable marker for quality.
Their loss, our gain.

+1! ’..a good product at a good price..’ Yes indeed! What’s not to like?? :popc:

I find the mutton base of Sterling to be very good and while the regular beef is also quite decent, it's nothing mindblowing. For those who want a good soap at a great price I think Stirling is one of the best options.

We all know that not everyone settles with ''good enough'' and it's understandable for people to want something much better or the best possible. Although I have tried only a few of the so called ''best'' soaps, I find the B&M Omnibus and Softheart bases to be the best I've ever used (so far) with the mutton Stirling being a close second.

In general, I can shave even with some of the most inexpensive soaps and creams and that doesn't bother me that much, but I can't ignore the ratio between value and quality. For instance, Proraso soaps and creams are nice, but given their price ($10-$15), I'd rather pay no more than $5 more and buy something much better and get the best bang for the buck. It's like in a poker game where you have three of a kind, which is very good, but four of a kind is much better.
This is my mentality as well. Proraso costs at least like $13 in croap format and as much as I love the scent, the performance is honestly on the lower end of the products I've used. Stirling might be something I try for the sake of variety since I love trying and experiencing new things but the only retailer who sells it here in Australia sells it for ~$32 with another ~$10 shipping. Like the better performing brands with better ingredients either cost less upfront, or are within $5 of this price. There's really no value argument here like there is in USA. I would assume this to be the case in most places outside of North America.

Totally enjoy my Stirling soaps!
Recently ordered several!
Great tallowy lather!
Excellent scents!

stirling deep blue sea truefitt and hill kai chanel bleu november 5 2022.jpg

My two favorite soaps are at opposite ends of the price spectrum: Stirling and MdC.

Both perform superbly.
Both are excellent soaps that have permanent spots in my rotation. Another great option at the lower end of the price spectrum is the Speick stick

One of my favorite Sterling Soap Co scents is Baker Street. "A fresh and masculine blend of Juniper, Bergamot, Jasmine, and Patchouli."

Top Bottom