What's new

Stirling Soaps Vs. PAA, A&E etc. and Pricing Bias

My opinion is that Stirling is very good, the mutton base is great. However for me, A&E K2e base and PAA CK6 base perform better.
They really don't perform better imo, at least when it comes to slickness and protection, this comes from someone that has used PAA and A&E soaps for the past few years almost exclusively, for me it's just the post-shave that lacks a little, but only a little. But yeah, to each their own I guess.

So much love for Stirling, this makes me happy. Despite the fact that it's still 30-40% more expensive (being an imported soap from US) here, it's still the most VFM soap in our market. I love their Bay Rum and recently got their Almond Creme (+splash.. wish they had balm too) and it has now become my favorite scent, since I love almond and sweet scents in general. I'll be getting either candy cane or Christmas eve later this year, not sure which yet, maybe eve since I hear some people say candy cane is similar to bay rum.
Regarding candy cane, I almost get a chocolate note to it to my nose. It reminds me of hot cocoa with a candy cane in it, or these expensive mint chocolate candies my mom used to get as a gift from her work in the 90s. It’s nice, but Eve edges it a little in my opinion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't buy or not buy what I purchase because some schmo on YouTube has rated it 2 or a 200. That's completely meaningless to me.
I'll try a soap and if it's good to ME, it's good. If it isn't good to ME, it isn't.
I have a plethora of soaps that span the price range from dirt cheap to ridiculously high - and I'll be honest with you, for the ones that work for me - slickness, latherability, scent, there really isn't THAT big a difference between the highest and the lowest priced options.
Some difference, sure.
But in most cases there is not a "to-scale" difference between them regarding price.
Many of the less expensive ones perform every bit as good or better than the most expensive ones.

There’s a difference between the beef tallow and the mutton tallow Stirling soaps. Both are excellent. The beef is available in many more fragrances, and the mutton tallow soap has a slight barnyard aroma (very, very slight). But for me the slickness of the mutton tallow soap sets it apart.

BTW, the Stirling AS balm is another excellent product. Just be sure to wet your hands or your face before you use it, and use a very small amount (peanut size dollop).

You know, even the Ancient Greek philosophers used to debate about this...

1665238424490.png

There’s a difference between the beef tallow and the mutton tallow Stirling soaps. Both are excellent. The beef is available in many more fragrances, and the mutton tallow soap has a slight barnyard aroma (very, very slight). But for me the slickness of the mutton tallow soap sets it apart.

BTW, the Stirling AS balm is another excellent product. Just be sure to wet your hands or your face before you use it, and use a very small amount (peanut size dollop).
I only have the Bay Rum one, I wish there was an Almond Creme one too, but alas. I always used a tiny amount but it was hard to 'spread', I'll try your tip!

Love me some Stirling and the lady does as well! I keep a few tubs in the shower and it does not dissapoint. Great great price point. I am Predominatly a Tabac guy at this point and with only a few other tallowed soaps in my possession that I am excited to use and get gone and be done with (Aos, Ethos, Speick, Fine and Stirling) I can confidently say that Stirling Holds its own without a doubt and will always have a place our household/shower. With a stellar price point, more than enough scents and a couple bases you can choose from whats not to like, honestly? Thier customer service is great and shipping is fast and I've never not once heard or experienced anything negative about Stirling Soaps not once. Just good people with a good business with solid time tested products which is the opposite for the aforementioned PAA and AE. Stirling DESERVES more love. For me, PAA and A&E stand for everything thats wrong with today's society which is sure to be an unpopular opinion. I can only imagine the look on some of thier customers faces when they realize how much they've bought into the latest and greatest after spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on thier products that are really just inconsistent and over scented junk...Take away the hype and blindfold and ask whats the difference is, without someone hyping up the product or someone to listen to thier breakdown of the latest and greatest its just another soap... this is just my unpopular opinion. Stirling for the win.

Just started shaving with Stirling. I'd say it's price belies the quality. Excellent shave at a reasonable price. Right up there with some of the best. Haveford is becoming one of my favorites.
I don't buy or not buy what I purchase because some schmo on YouTube has rated it 2 or a 200. That's completely meaningless to me.
I'll try a soap and if it's good to ME, it's good. If it isn't good to ME, it isn't.
I have a plethora of soaps that span the price range from dirt cheap to ridiculously high - and I'll be honest with you, for the ones that work for me - slickness, latherability, scent, there really isn't THAT big a difference between the highest and the lowest priced options.
Some difference, sure.
But in most cases there is not a "to-scale" difference between them regarding price.
Many of the less expensive ones perform every bit as good or better than the most expensive ones.

I am not saying that Ruds Shaves or any other YouTube influencer is the ultimate authority on soap quality. However, that is one of the few channels that has a rating system that is not afraid to call it like it is. In most instances, I have agreed closely with these evaluations, even though I do not know the details of his rating system. . Jason Rudman stopped making videos in November 2020, nearly 2 years ago. I have purchased some of my very best soaps since he stopped evaluating soaps. The top soap Jason reviewed was Ariana and Evans Kaizen 2. I agree with Jason that it is a superb soap, but there are a number of soaps that have released since then that I consider to be even better.

Because I have very sensitive skin and I do not like using post-shave products, I place a lot of value on post-shave moisturizing and conditioning when evaluating a soap. I know that others might not need or want the types of soaps I enjoy using so much. If you are one who does not need that level of post-shave, use any soap you wish. However, I do know that many shavers do appreciate the quality of the soaps I enjoy so much.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am not saying that Ruds Shaves or any other YouTube influencer is the ultimate authority on soap quality. However, that is one of the few channels that has a rating system that is not afraid to call it like it is. In most instances, I have agreed closely with these evaluations, even though I do not know the details of his rating system. . Jason Rudman stopped making videos in November 2020, nearly 2 years ago. I have purchased some of my very best soaps since he stopped evaluating soaps. The top soap Jason reviewed was Ariana and Evans Kaizen 2. I agree with Jason that it is a superb soap, but there are a number of soaps that have released since then that I consider to be even better.

Because I have very sensitive skin and I do not like using post-shave products, I place a lot of value on post-shave moisturizing and conditioning when evaluating a soap. I know that others might not need or want the types of soaps I enjoy using so much. If you are one who does not need that level of post-shave, use any soap you wish. However, I do know that many shavers do appreciate the quality of the soaps I enjoy so much.
No doubt if you have a track record of agreeing with a particular reviewer, his recommendations can be helpful to you.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) there are no reviewers I have ever seen that agree with my personal perspective more than can be attributed to mere chance.

Jason Rudman of Ruds Shave YouTube channel rated Sterling at 91. PAA CK6 formula is rated at 92. Both of them are perfectly acceptable shaving soaps for many people. Personally, I like even better soaps. Most of the soaps in my active rotation are rated 97 and higher, I have a number of soaps rated 90-95 that are no longer good enough to make my rotation. But that does not mean that you should not use them.

Dont take this the wrong way, but who cares? Ruds is just one guy and never bothered to explain how he arrived at these ratings - which frankly are ridiculous. By his metrics there are soaps that are not only perfect (100) but better than perfect :out:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stirling makes some excellent products. I have a huge selection of soaps and creams at my disposal that I've "collected" over the past 8 yrs or so. There isn't a single maker that I use exclusively.

The Stirling beef tallow shave soap base works very well for me. I find that while it will take an insane amount of water, I don't necessarily need to hydrate forever to arrive at an excellent shaving lather. Since my skin leans toward the oily side, post shave feel isn't anywhere near as important to me as some others. Performance during the shave is what matters the most to me.

Scent wise Stirling Sandpiper and Stirling Green are two scents I will have as long as Rod and Mandy keep making them.(so, somebody give me a heads up if they hear either of those are going away permanently 😀 )

Dont take this the wrong way, but who cares? Ruds is just one guy and never bothered to explain how he arrived at these ratings - which frankly are ridiculous. By his metrics there are soaps that are not only perfect (100) but better than perfect :out:

When Ruds started doing his videos in 2015, his rating system reflected the soaps that were available at that time. The "average soap rated around 85 with soaps ranging from 68 - 90. Over time, artisans began to improve the quality of their soaps. Jason tried to keep the same rating system that he had used from the beginning. Finally, soaps became so good that they rated 100 and even higher. Finally, soaps got so good that he gave up. If he had kept going, I suspect we would see soaps like Ariana & Evans K2e, Barrister & Mann Omnibus, Ethos Grooming Essentials F Base, and Grooming Dept Kairos SE with ratings around 110. They are that good.

Personally, I love the soaps that Ruds rated high on his scale, but I can understand why some people might have differing opinions. Everything in wet shaving is YMMV, so use what you like.

I've got some Stirling "out for delivery" Today. For what you pay it's a no-brainer. I'm like a little kid when it comes to expecting something in the mail. BTW it's Light-ish Red. I'll let you know how it is.

Top Bottom